The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 2, 2007, 12:05 AM   #1
grey sky

Kevlar or Carbonfiber

I am considering reaction to home invasion tactic. I want to construct a shield specificly a scottish targe (spelling). Made of wood with a tooled leather front underlayed with kevlar or carbon fiber as a supliment to weapon of choice. Any thoughts? It will be a fun project in any event.
Old August 2, 2007, 12:18 AM   #2
Wildalaska

Bet this stuff is spendy

http://www.3m.com/market/industrial/...amicFabric.pdf

WildcheckthevelocitiesAlaska
Old August 2, 2007, 12:22 AM   #3
grey sky

Carbon fiber shate boards are $80. I already have a kevlar shorts that I can take apart. I am figuring just enough protection to stay in the fight.
Old August 2, 2007, 12:31 AM   #4
Wildalaska

Skate Board?

WildokseeyaAlaska
Old August 2, 2007, 12:42 AM   #5
Powderman

Just a suggestion:

Your money might be better spent in buying ammo for your chosen firearm, and for practice.

In the case of a home invasion, there is an excellent possibility that you will not have time to get to your full array of defensive equipment. You will only have a VERY short window of time to react to the threat.

Some common sense precautions will protect you better than your proposed shield.

First, NEVER leave your doors unlocked while you are in the home. This includes your garage door.

Do you have nice, thick solid core doors with reinforced dead bolts? If not, get them.

Bushes and nicely trimmed hedges compliment an entry way. They are also a primary hiding ground for any criminal wanting to gain entry. Remove them.

NEVER open your door for a stranger--even if the situation appears urgent, and ESPECIALLY not at night. Educate your family well on this one!

Depending on your environment, consider arming yourself BEFORE answering the door.

Peepholes work both ways. Consider the purchase of a small, easily hidden CCTV camera to cover your doors. Connect it to a monitor that is hidden from general view. This way, you can see who is at the door long before you get there.

If you live in a rural area, away from neighbors--or if emergency response is a long way off, consider being armed at all times. This applies for all adults in the household--and any teenagers who demonstrate appropriate responsibility.

This is not an all inclusive list, but it will serve you well.
Old August 2, 2007, 01:13 AM   #6
grey sky

Tactics and Training

Just trying to think outside the box. Update an old concept? This project won't break the bank. already have doors and trimed hedges More amo and practice is always good .Talk to your neighbors. Is also a good tactic.
Old August 2, 2007, 10:12 AM   #7
JoeBlackSpade

I can't see or envision a scenario where a ballistic shield in your home will increase your safety level- unless you live in a neighborhood where drive-by shootings are common.

If you are in danger, it is likely that an attack will occur outside your home, in which case a concealable ballistic body armor vest (IIA) would be sufficient in most cases. Only you know your needs.

To the best of my knowledge, though, a ballistic shield is only good in tactical scenarios involving entry into a hostile environment. They are large, heavy, cumbersome, and limited in their application. I'd rather be quick and nimble, with thousands of rounds downrange to make me smooth and accurate.
Old August 2, 2007, 06:06 PM   #8
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Carbon fiber shate boards are $80. I already have a kevlar shorts that I can take apart. I am figuring just enough protection to stay in the fight.
Why sell yourself short. What good in staying in the fight if you end up dying anyways. Shouldn't you be trying to have enough protection to survive the fight and can be around to later help prosecute the bad guys, then live to a ripe old age?
Old August 2, 2007, 07:23 PM   #9
C Philip

I think your money would be better spent buying a police surplus kevlar vest than making a shield. www.bulletproofme.com has a good selection and very reasonable prices. If you really want to make a shield for a low price you can buy an old standard ballistic panel from them for $25. Just don't tell them it's for a shield to defend yourself, as it says "not sold for the protection of life or property." It's fine to get it for a fun project, but I wouldn't bet my life on it, and in a real confrontation I would rather have a vest.
Old August 2, 2007, 11:30 PM   #10
Sriracha

Carbon fiber is strong, but very brittle. It will withstand steady, high stresses, but is not so good with sharp impacts. It is a very bad choice for a shield.

Kevlar (or aramid fiber) is a good choice. It has high toughness, which means that it will absorb a lot of energy while deforming under load. However, be aware that it comes in more than one flavor, and not all are appropriate for armor. The type that is used in boat-building, for example, is likely not as good as the ballistic-grade fabric.

If you are contemplating this as a serious self-defense tool, you might want to just spend the money on a good vest. Also remember that having both hands on your gun might help you win a self-defense gun fight.

Good luck,
-Sr.
Old August 3, 2007, 12:08 AM   #11
grey sky

Thank You

Nice source for panels thanks.
As I said before I have a pair of flak overshorts they are the companion to the flak vest the size is small so I will never be able to wear them or would want to. Just wanted to use the kevlar for something rather than throw it away. No I don't want to be Captain America with his magic shield coming to the rescue.
I know I asked for it by starting the thead. Thanks for the input, nevermind.
Old August 3, 2007, 03:45 AM   #12
CNate

If your talking about something like a riot shield? Depending on your state/city laws these are available for sale to the general public. Clear shields are normaly made of polycarbonate, a group of thermoplastic polymers. Easily molded and shaped. Others come in steel alloys, these are the type with the slot for viewing.

Few shields are designed to be bullet resistant against small caliber handguns, but most are not. They are normally used in crowd crontrol, hand to hand, or to protect from thrown objects and shrapnel.

But, I agree with the other posters. In a home invasion situation it would be highly unlikely that you would have time to put a riot shield to use. Your best bet is to keep your firearm close at hand and your skills well honed.

However...if you still want something like a "scottish targe", you can always hire these dudes to camp out in your yard.

Old August 3, 2007, 08:25 AM   #13
Samurai

Jump on wikipedia and google and research how modern-day armor works. You'll find that it's actually a bit more complicated than you think it is...

Until you do some more research, I would recommend against purchasing a bunch of glass fabric (the generic term for the trademark "Kevlar") or carbonfiber. You may discover that you've wasted a lot of money, when what you really needed was some steel or laminated thermoplastic plating.

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old August 3, 2007, 10:26 PM   #14
Deaf Smith

Just buy a police riot shield. It's bullet proof and one can even see through it.

Or simply get a bullet proof vest and put it in a brief case with a strap on the back so you can hold it as a shield.

That way you have a vest you can wear if you ever need it, and a shield for the home.
Old August 3, 2007, 10:44 PM   #15
grey sky

Thanks Samurai and Deaf Smith good ideas. I am not worried about cost I already have the Kevlar purchased it long ago unused never issued. Just didn't want to throw it away.
Old August 4, 2007, 10:54 AM   #16
Hemicuda

If you are gonna use a shield, then you need to sell the gun and buy a sword instead, don't you?

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old August 4, 2007, 07:19 PM   #17
CNate

Quote:
Just buy a police riot shield. It's bullet proof and one can even see through it.
Balistic shields are made of steel with a small slit to see through, these are made to withstand handgun fire. Also called Bunker Shields or Baker Shields.

The totally clear style is a Riot Shield, it's made from a type plastic called a Polycarbonate. These are used as I posted above. Riot Shields are not bulletproof.
Old August 4, 2007, 08:01 PM   #18
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I already have the Kevlar purchased it long ago unused never issued.
Careful, GS. There's a reason for the expiration date on soft body armor. The secret to soft armor isn't just the Kevlar; the weave is also important.

The Kevlar panels in body armor are woven very tightly. Over time, the weave loosens, reducing its bullet stopping ability significantly.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old August 4, 2007, 09:57 PM   #19
Deaf Smith

Grey Sky,

Try this place:

http://armordevelopment.com/

And look at the 'personal shields'. I think this is exactly what you want.
Old August 7, 2007, 09:39 PM   #20
restlessnomad

Quote:
Careful, GS. There's a reason for the expiration date on soft body armor. The secret to soft armor isn't just the Kevlar; the weave is also important.

The Kevlar panels in body armor are woven very tightly. Over time, the weave loosens, reducing its bullet stopping ability significantly.
I've actually heard and read the opposite on numerous occasions . That some will hold their bullet resistant properties in excess of 10 years w/o falter. Though I guess I have only heard about vests themselves and not stock fiber.
Old August 7, 2007, 09:49 PM   #21
MacGille

Buy a tank and park it in your living room. Sheeeesh.
If ye love wealth better than Liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from us in Peace. We ask not your counsel or Arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. --Samuel Adams--<*ixoye><