The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 26, 2001, 05:04 PM   #1
pat2

wounder wads in a cap and ball revolver

Has anyone experienced a multiple discharged in a cap and ball revolver while using the Wonder Wad? Is it a common occurrence? I have just bought an 1860 replica and was planning on using them

Pat2
Old November 26, 2001, 11:47 PM   #2
Nodakmarine

I've been using wonder wads between my powder and ball for years in cap and ball revolvers from .31 caliber Remingtons and Colts to .36 Navy revolvers to .44 Colt and Remingtons and I've never had a chain fire to date. I got tired of the mess that the grease over the ball makes so I found this to be an ideal fix.
Old November 27, 2001, 11:00 AM   #3
biganimal

use em myself and love em
Old November 27, 2001, 03:35 PM   #4
mcneill

I use them in my 1851 model Navy Colt and have never had any trouble with them. IMHO the best preventative for chain firing is using caps which fit tightly. For my revolvers, this is a Number 10 cap.

"His name was Jeremiah Johnson, and he wanted to be a mountain man. ... He was looking for a Hawken gun, .50 caliber or better. He settled for a .30, but d*** it was a genuine Hawken. You couldn't go no better."
Old November 28, 2001, 09:37 AM   #5
Cap n ball

I too have never had any pre-ignition or chain fire using wads. When I'm at the range though, I take the extra precaution of bringing a little can of compressed air such as can be bought at an electronics supply and after loading I blow any granules of powder off the cylinders. Pinching the caps helps too.
Old November 28, 2001, 07:22 PM   #6
pat2

tight caps on a cap and ball revolver

I take it that the flame goes through a loose cap and sets off the charge. Usually the books just recommend that you use grease over the ball to prevent chain firing. Any other hints for firing cap and ball revolvers?
Old November 29, 2001, 03:12 AM   #7
fastforty

Don't set up with the wind blowing directly in your face
Old November 29, 2001, 08:36 AM   #8
Cap n ball

You got it right Pat. I put crisco or something like that in the cylinder holes when I'm going to shoot outdoors. It prevents chainfire as well as acts as a moisture seal. Don't use very much cause it can contribute to fouling. Loose caps can cause a chainfire I suppose. I've never had that happen. Making sure that the nipples are tight is important as well. Heck, it's like anything else, you have to check everything and even then I usually do it again. I love shooting BP. The smoke, sound, smell...even cleaning is ok with me. I imagine that folks that shoot these things regularly are in many ways more familiar with the innards and outards as well as the peculiarities of their particular piece than many folks who only shoot the tupperware stuff. It's just great sport.
Old November 29, 2001, 10:57 AM   #9
BluRidgDav

Wonder Wads work fine in my Ruger Old Army. No chain-fires. I too, got tired of the mess associated with grease over the balls.

One caution about really tight caps. This will sometimes cause a failure to fire. If the caps are so tight that they just barely fit onto the nipple . . . . . the first hammer strike will merely seat the cap down fully onto the nipple (CLICK). The second strike usually results in proper discharge (BANG). Not a problem when plinking, but this would be very disconcerting while hunting or in timed competition.