The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 28, 2001, 11:48 AM   #1
Romulus

I've been won over to the beauty of blue. I have a Springfield Gummint Model that is black park, and that is rubbing off, the gun is going on ten years. I'd like to rust blue it. I am seeking suggestions on how to rust blue the little holes and crevasses, like the firing pin channel, magazine well, etc...

Thanks
Old March 30, 2001, 10:27 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Easy. You don't. Rust blued guns were never blued in the internal areas. For example, one way to tell a tank blued Luger from a rust blued one is that if the inside is blued, it was done in a tank. I might see some sense in wanting to blue the magazine well, but the firing pin hole???

Jim
Old March 31, 2001, 12:23 AM   #3
Romulus

Thanks, Jim...but wouldn't those internal areas flash rust at the very least when dunked in the boiling h2o? Shouldn't that flash rust be carded off somehow? And if you can card off those internal areas, doesn't it means you should be able to blue them?

Just thinking out loud, here...
Old March 31, 2001, 09:52 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Guys, I do a lot of rust bluing and Jim is right in that you don't actually "blue" the interior areas however they will "rust" or oxidize right along with the rest of the parts. The best thing to do is to coat these areas with gun grease like RIG and plug them before you boil. If you are concerned with the lack of blue in these areas you can come back after the job is done and cold blue them with 44/40 and a q-tip. George