The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 8, 2014, 01:39 PM   #1
jersurf101

The wait is over............

Ruger has unveiled their gunsite scout rifle in .223. Looks like they see how well Mossberg is dong with the MVP. Seems pricey for a .223 to me. Then again I think the .308 version is on the high side for what it is too.

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsit...le/models.html
Old September 8, 2014, 02:10 PM   #2
precision_shooter

The price is too high for me and the Mossberg has several features that I feel make it a better rifle than the Ruger...

Mossberg uses standard AR-15 magazines for which there are numerous different makes, and sizes. Looks like the Ruger is using proprietary 10-rd magazine
Mossberg uses standard scope and does not require a "Scout" scope with long eye relief. I know you can remove the rear sight on the Ruger and use a standard base, but just more cost and hassle to mount regular scopes.

I'll stick to my Mossberg MVP Patrol, which, with scope cost less or the same as the Ruger-rifle only...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old September 8, 2014, 02:52 PM   #3
mavracer

I agree it's a clean miss to me, Jeff Cooper is gonna haunt the Ruger plant "a Scout chambered for a poodle shooter" lol.

I sold my bolt 223 and went all autos, only way this would interest me at all is if I couldn't own a AR or Mini.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old September 8, 2014, 03:35 PM   #4
DealHunter

I guess I don't get it since there's no increase in mag capacity despite a much smaller round and a (quite large and expensive) detachable magazine.

In addition it weighs a fair bit for a 5.56 (heavier than the .308 since the bore is smaller)...

I have a CZ 527 Carbine in .223 that I like but it weighs under 6lbs and feels a lot handier than my .308 GS Scout if we're not factoring caliber.

Guess I'd have to see one in person to know for sure of course
Old September 8, 2014, 03:57 PM   #5
MikeRussell

From what I read, it's a Mini-14 magazine. Should've gone with AR style mags, but Ruger has to be Ruger.

I'll pass. I'd get the Mossberg MVP instead if I were interested in a .223/5.56 magazine fed bolt action.
Old September 8, 2014, 05:50 PM   #6
DealHunter

Quote:
From what I read, it's a Mini-14 magazine.
I think it says "Mini 14 style magazine release" which is basically what the current 308 model has, but the mag itself is the same as the current models?
Old September 8, 2014, 06:00 PM   #7
Unlicensed Dremel

Too heavy! Fail. (And yeah, wrong mags).

For that price, it should definitely be a much lighter stock made from a composite of fiberglass, aramid fibers, graphite, and / or carbon fibers (with an integral aluminum bedding block). The value isn't there at all.

And I'd rather see an 18"-19" bbl than a 16", for this chambering.

But people will still buy it - more power to them.

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; September 10, 2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old September 8, 2014, 10:30 PM   #8
Sappyg

This thing doesn't move the 'I want one' needle for me at all.

Scratching my head a little. I'm not sure what Ruger was trying to accomplish with this thing. Kinda leaves me thinking Ruger is not so much a gun company as it's a company that happens to make guns...... No matter how poorly conceived.

Could be worse i guess... Not sure how.
Old September 9, 2014, 07:07 AM   #9
jonnyc

I had the .308 version high on my Want List until I tried one a guy brought to my range. Didn't like anything about the rifle and immediately scratched it off my list. I won't even consider the new version.
Old September 9, 2014, 07:19 AM   #10
skizzums

I like it, but just too much money........I would take the MVP for the mags too. unless this thing is just a tack driver over the Mossberg, looks like a fail
Old September 9, 2014, 09:19 AM   #11
tahunua001

if they took AR15 mags instead of proprietary I'd buy the ruger over the mossberg any day, that $200 gets you a lot more gun in the end in my opinion, assuming the 223 is made to the same standards as the 308 and their 223 chambered M77s.
Old September 10, 2014, 05:52 AM   #12
kawasakifreak77

A .223 scout rifle? Haha! Cooper is gonna be peeved!
Old September 10, 2014, 09:14 AM   #13
tahunua001

scout is a concept, not a specific set of features. cooper advocated the 308 but look at what he was working with at the time. there are a lot of cartridges introduced in recent years that can do the same thing 308 can, but better. had he been alive today do you think cooper would watch a 308, 7mm-08, and 260 remington performing side by side and still pick 308 as his cartridge of choice.

one of the most amazing scout guns I've ever seen was built off a swedish mauser action in it's original 6.5x55mm and I would sooner own that than any 308 chambered scout gun currently offered for the simple reason that 6.5s in general have much better ballistic coefficients and can easily kill anything in these united states short of bison and even those would not be outside the realm of a well constructed bullet in the hands of a skilled marksman at a decent range.

in the last couple years I have become a huge proponent of 6.5s especially 6.5 grendel for it's compact nature and 6.5 creedmore for it's long range capabilities. they give the best combination of flat trajectories and retained energy which 30 calibers and 22 calibers just can not pull off. are they a compromise? possibly but everything about the scout concept is compromise.
zoomed optics, but only a little zoom(4x is the most common I've seen)
strong cartridge, but can't be too heavy
lightweight, but must also be accurate
must be able to shoot long, medium, or short ranges equally well which means that it's not going to do all ranges superbly as a purposebuilt rifle would
and it must be able to kill any animal up to 400 pounds at any range that the shooter would be capable of making a clean hit to the kill zone...

...ok maybe that's a little beyond 223 for most people but there have been a few cases of people getting lucky and killing elk with 223 and up in the great white north they've been using 223 to kill polarbears(way more than 400 pounds) for years.

that's just my take. if you are a good marksman and you are using the best ammo that 223 can offer I don't see why jeff cooper would not be impressed with a scout rifle chambered in that round.
Old September 10, 2014, 11:50 PM   #14
mmb713

Much of Col. Cooper's reasoning for the 308 in a Scout rifle was that 7.62 NATO/308 Winchester ammunition is readily available worldwide and is powerful enough for most everything except dangerous game. I highly doubt he would opt for 7mm-08 and definitely not 260 Rem. 7mm-08 is not readily available worldwide and 260 Rem is pretty much already obsolete. I think he is looking down shaking his head at a 5.56/223 scout. I think it's an answer to a question that hasn't been asked.
Old September 11, 2014, 12:10 AM   #15
kawasakifreak77

Actually didn't Cooper name the 7-08 as alternative to the scout rifle concept in countries where a military caliber such as the 7.62x51mm isn't legal for civilian ownership?
Old September 11, 2014, 12:25 AM   #16
Brotherbadger

I like it, but i don't think I'll pay that much for one. Still, nice to see another scout rifle on the market.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old September 11, 2014, 12:27 AM   #17
tahunua001

Quote:
7mm-08 is not readily available worldwide and 260 Rem is pretty much already obsolete.
7-08 is very common in europe in nations that do not allow civilians to own guns chambered in military rifles. as such, 7.62x51 Nato is really, not widely available worldwide, only here in the states and a few of the less stringent nations like Canada, and of course south america where it's popular with the cartels. 260 remington is far from obsolete as it is a common chambering in AR10 style rifles and savage is heavily producing rifles chambered in that cartridge.

all in all I think the available worldwide bit is a little non sequitur since unless you are a soldier of fortune that likes too hunt your own dinner, a hunting/target/combat/zombie killing rifle that you could easily get ammo for around the world is pretty much a pointless order to fill. either you are an international hunter and you have the money to possess a rifle that is purpose built for the type of hunting you're doing, or you're a mercenary that has the unfortunate task of buying your own gear in which a bolt action is likely going to be low on your to buy list, or you are an assassin in which case you have a gun made of plastic and ceramic that can slip through metal detectors and a $4000 dollar nightvision, heat seeking, blood sugar monitoring, 64-128x60 scope with a 40mm tube and a scout rifle would be beneath your talents.
Old September 11, 2014, 11:30 AM   #18
Gats Italian

The GSR Poodle Edition makes next no sense whatsoever. The only argument for a proprietary 5.56 mag is that so many Ar-15 mags are fragile and/or finicky.

OTOH, the Mossy Poodle Bolt makes only a little sense for using more common mags because big boxes below the bolt action are more of a negative than positive, especially when prone.

Conceptually, the high capacity bolt rifle was obsolete the moment there were great semis out there, ones that hadn't really come into their own when Cooper was formulating the scout rifle concept.

Recreating the SMLE in a different caliber and a slower bolt throw is not progress from either company.
Old September 11, 2014, 05:45 PM   #19
tahunua001

gats. AR15 magazines do not have to be 30 rounds or above. there are everthing from 5 to 120 round magazines depending on the one you want. 5 and 10 rounders fit flush with the bottom of the rifle and would render the mossberg MVP just as convenient prone as sitting or standing. same could be said for the Ruger if it did not take proprietary mags. the enfield was a great gun and I would love it if somebody built a modern cock on close bolt action with a detachable mag but alas, that's kindof a dead end these days. however I believe that high cap bolts are just as useful as high cap semis in the right hands and they do make for fun plinking as well as practice. it is easier to pace yourself on a bolt action than a semi.