The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2014, 09:36 AM   #1
cuddlefish

Loading Equipment

Would someone be willing to share what equipment you are using for reloading? I want to upgrade, I do not do a high volume but I do need very consistent loads for competition. I would very much appreciate any help.
Old March 4, 2014, 09:37 AM   #2
jwrowland77

Loading Equipment

I use the Hornady classis LNL single stage for my .308 match loads.

I use a Hornady Auto Charge for powder. I figure .1gr over/under doesn't make much a difference when using 47gr of powder.

Last edited by jwrowland77; March 4, 2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old March 4, 2014, 09:45 AM   #3
Shootest

RCBS Rockchucker, Lyman T-Mag II, RCBS Partner, Dillon XL 650, are all on my bench.
Old March 4, 2014, 10:58 AM   #4
Jim243

For rifle, I use a RCBS Rockchucker press and RCBS 1500 Loadmaster for powder.

Jim
Old March 4, 2014, 11:04 AM   #5
old roper

Most match shooters would help new shooter if asked. I would go to a match and ask.
NRA Life Member
Old March 4, 2014, 11:11 AM   #6
GWS

I've never shot a competitive meet in my 44 years of reloading.....but if I did I would add an RCBS Loadmaster 1500, first choice for the convenience and speed. That said any good scale and trickler will do the same thing.....I use an RCBS 10/10. Common denominator is my Rock Chucker press.

Guess this is a long way of saying, Jim's advice is as good as there is.
Old March 4, 2014, 11:13 AM   #7
F. Guffey

Quote:
Would someone be willing to share what equipment you are using for reloading?
"willing to share" ? You are in Colorado, sharing equipment would be difficult with a distance of 800 miles between there and there, then here would be shipping.

Then there is sharing information as in make, model and brand with color thrown in.

Quote:
I would very much appreciate any help.
So I ask: What kind of help do you need? There is not much I do not have.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; March 4, 2014 at 11:14 AM. Reason: remove a t from here
Old March 4, 2014, 11:32 AM   #8
mikld

"Willing to share" I'm sure means to tell/share info with him, about the equipment we are using to reload, not actually allow him to use our equipment...

I use a Lee turret press for 75% of my cartridges, a C-H cast iron "O" single stage, an older C-H aluminum "C" type single stage for priming and bullet sizing, a Lee handpress occasionally, and when I feel "retro" I have 5 Lee Loaders I use. I have a Smart Reloader "C" press that I keep in view, not used, to remind me to never buy Smart Reloader again...
Old March 4, 2014, 12:14 PM   #9
cuddlefish

Thanks to all for your responses.
Old March 4, 2014, 12:31 PM   #10
Nick_C_S

I bought my single stage RCBS press in 1984. It's the only press I've ever owned. And after hundreds of thousands of cycles, it still works perfectly. I know Dillon makes a great product; and probably Hornady too. But for me, I wouldn't consider any other brand.
Old March 4, 2014, 01:36 PM   #11
flashhole

You can make very high quality consistent ammunition with any of the major manufacturers equipment. Most people think you have to spend a lot of money to get good quality ammo. Not true, you simply have to pay attention to detail. True, some tools (like specialty dies) make the job a bit easier but there is no substitute for paying attention to detail and learning the proper use of whatever you buy.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old March 4, 2014, 04:41 PM   #12
Roughedge

I have a rock chucker for rifle rounds and my carry handgun rounds. I have two Dillon 550's ,one small primer and one small primer for target rounds.
Old March 4, 2014, 04:59 PM   #13
Rico567

I've gone through a certain amount of equipment in 50 years, and some of it's gone, or I've moved on. Right now, I use a 40 year old Rock Chucker for most of my rifle reloading, a MEC Grabber that is about that old for 12 ga., and a Dillon XL 650 for .223 and all my pistol stuff. The Dillon is positive overkill for the amount I reload, but with the onset of arthritis, a progressive press is a blessing.

- Mark Twain
Old March 4, 2014, 11:52 PM   #14
Axelwik

I really like my Redding T-7 turret press. I don't shoot enough to justify a progressive press, but the turret press speeds things up a bit - about twice the output of a single stage press.

The T-7 is a massive press; very solid, and produces consistent ammo.

For the two handgun calibers I shoot most, 45 and 38, each has it's own turret head set up with all the dies and a powder measure. Each round takes 10 or 15 seconds to make start to finish.

For rifle I use it as a single stage press, and for my big bore revolver ammo something in between.