The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 27, 2010, 04:35 PM   #76
markj

Can you get a permit to purchase from the county law?
Old August 27, 2010, 05:19 PM   #77
Ralph Allen

I hold a CCW permit. In the state I live in, all I have to do to purchase any firearm is produce my Drivers License and CCW permit. No phone calls, as I've already been approved by all law enforcement. Check out your states regs. This is as simple as going to a gun shop and asking the clerk behind the counter.
Ralph
Old August 27, 2010, 05:49 PM   #78
engineermike

As it would happen, today in the mail is my"Voluntary Appeal File" (VAF) and it reads that "you (I) are (am) eligible to be placed in the VAF". It goes on to read that I will still have to go through a background check for each transaction of a gun. If I become a bad boy, someone who would yell at kids and/or kick cats, I could be placed in denied status, if prohibitive information is discovered. I have been issued a "Unique Personal Identification Number" (UPIN) (I don't think I am supposed to print that here) (I give you 2 faces here Blume) It goes on about what an FFL must give the "Call Center" when processing my background check.

So from July 9th till today Aug. 27 I have gone from being an outcast to being able to now become a gun toten brother. Fells good to be back in the pack, but then I now have to carry the "Red Letter L" on my chest as being another one on the government list. But that's ok, I can submit a written notice to the AST and be removed from the list if I chose. I can also be removed from the list if the NICS Section discovers disqualifying information. If they do discover disqualifiying information they may delete me from the list.

The good news is, I do not have to give my SSN when I fill out an application to purchase a gun. So I guess all in all the system worked pretty fast, but now I'll have to go out and purchase a gun to see if I still can. I am just one of ten's, thousands, or more who still have to jump through the hoops or go out and try and curcumvent the law. Anyway I'm leagal now, or have I always been leagal and just been wasting my time?
Old August 27, 2010, 11:35 PM   #79
dogtown tom

I know why you get denied..........

engineermike

Is that closer to Narman or Tolsa?

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old August 28, 2010, 05:21 AM   #80
engineermike

Off topic, but I tend to bleed more Orange and Black. But Narmund is closer but I never go there.
Old August 28, 2010, 06:54 AM   #81
blume357

Well let us know how it works out at the gun shop

I suspect and hope it will be a fast call in now that you have a number.

As a side note, there is nothing wrong with your alternative method of purchasing a gun... at a gun show.

As I've said, here in my state I can go into a gun shop and buy what ever they have without the background check...because our CWP is recognized as the back ground check..

This does not stop me from still going to gun shows and looking and if I have a few extra hundred dollars in my pocket doing a private transaction. At the gun shows here... it depends on the private seller as to what they ask for... some want proof of state residency and such... some just ask for the money.

keep in mind, in most cases.. my experience at gun shows is you will pay 50-100 bucks more for a handgun in a private sale than if that same gun was at your local 'retail' shop.
Old August 28, 2010, 09:43 AM   #82
dogtown tom

Quote:
blume357:...As I've said, here in my state I can go into a gun shop and buy what ever they have without the background check...because our CWP is recognized as the back ground check..
You never answered my question on page 2 of this thread:

Quote:
Quote:
I was convicted of a crime way back in 1978 that could have landed me in jail for way more than a year...
So how do you answer question 11.c on the Form 4473?

Quote:
Form 4473
Question 11c. Have you ever been convicted in any court of a felony, or any other crime, for which the judge could have imprisoned you for more than one year, even if you received a shorter sentence including prohibition?

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old August 28, 2010, 11:20 AM   #83
Fish_Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form 4473
Question 12c. Have you ever been convicted in any court of a felony, or any other crime, for which the judge could have imprisoned you for more than one year, even if you received a shorter sentence including prohibition?
There is an exception to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form 4473
EXCEPTION 1: A person who has been convicted of a felony, or any other crime, for which the judge could have imprisoned the person for more than one year, or who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, is not prohibited from purchasing, receiving, or possessing a firearm if: (1) under the law where the conviction occurred, the person has been pardoned, the conviction has been expunged or set aside, or the person has had civil rights (the right to vote, sit on a jury, and hold public office) restored AND (2) the person is not prohibited by the law where the conviction occurred from receiving or possessing firearms. Persons subject to this exception should answer “no” to 12c or 12i, as applicable. A person who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence also is not covered by the prohibition unless: (1) the person was represented by a lawyer or gave up the right to a lawyer; and (2) if the person was entitled to a jury, was tried by a jury or gave up the right to a jury trial. Persons subject to this exception should answer “no” to 12i.
In some states, a felons' civil rights are automatically returned to them after they have completed any and all sentences and probations. In other states, felons must petition the court where they were convicted to have their civil rights restored. After a court-ordered restoration of civil rights, application can be made into the VAF (referred to by EngineerMike) with documents proving such restoration of rights.

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice. You assume all responsibility for your particular legal situation.

Fish
Old August 28, 2010, 07:11 PM   #84
dogtown tom

Fish_Scientist,

I don't know where you copied that quote from but the paragraph numbers are incorrect.

There is no "12.c." on the current Form 4473 (in use since 2008)

The information regarding exceptions is correct. I posted this back on page 2.

Old August 28, 2010, 07:16 PM   #85
ChrisWNY

Quote:
I hold a CCW permit. In the state I live in, all I have to do to purchase any firearm is produce my Drivers License and CCW permit. No phone calls, as I've already been approved by all law enforcement. Check out your states regs. This is as simple as going to a gun shop and asking the clerk behind the counter.
Ralph
This is probably the one and only benefit to NY's overzealous and highly restrictive pistol permit laws. Since each and every permit holder has gone through extensive background checks, fingerprinting, and an investigation by law enforcement, purchasing firearms only requires ID (Driver's License) and the CCW permit. There is a $3 fee to register a handgun on a permit, beyond that, no background checks or phone calls.
Old August 28, 2010, 09:48 PM   #86
Fish_Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom
Fish_Scientist,

I don't know where you copied that quote from but the paragraph numbers are incorrect.

There is no "12.c." on the current Form 4473 (in use since 2008)

The information regarding exceptions is correct. I posted this back on page 2.
Must have been an older copy of form 4473 that I found. Sorry I forgot about your earlier post.

I think there are a great number of folks out there that think convicted felons are automatically prohibited persons when in reality, provided they are no longer "bad" people and continue to make good choices, their civil rights can be restored quite easily.

Fish