The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 5, 1999, 02:10 PM   #1
leedesert

I would like experienced replies here. I am new to concealed carry and would like suggestions on holster options.
I am 6'1", 190 pds and live in south Georgia. I carry a Ruger P97 45ACP. I currently use a fanny pak in the summer and a nylon pancake behind my right hip in the winter. I don't have enough money to try every holster out there so I hope to tap in to others experience.
I can tell you I am fairly active so the IWB holsters annoy me.
I'm licensed to carry but really don't want it to be seen. Any constructive advice is welcome. Thank you.
Old May 5, 1999, 03:02 PM   #2
Morgan

I'm a bit taller and a bit thinner than you, and I swear by <a href="http://www.fist-inc.com">FIST</a> holsters. Great quality, fit, and finish at a reasonable price. <a href="http://www.gunsandgold.com">MD Enterprises</a> has a good reputation, though I've yet to play with their stuff.
Old May 5, 1999, 04:53 PM   #3
Mike Spight

leedesert: Too bad IWBs don't work for you..they really are about the best way to conceal a large frame semi-auto. A high rise pancake design like you already have is probably your next best choice. I would also recommend that you only use a double thickness GUNBELT to carry with, if you're not alreadyn doing so. Using a thin, dress slacks belt will telegraph the butt of the weapon extremely quickly, plus the weapon will flop around like a fish. Other good mass produced holsters are Galco and Safariland. If you don't mind the $, a custom leather hi-rise pancake type by Rosen, Sparks, Kramer or Rybka are great. They can provide superb designs and workmanship. If your interested in Kydex, Blade-tech, Ky-Tac and Mad Dog can help you out. I have owned leather holsters made by Milt Sparks and Kydex made by Blade-Tech. I feel comfortable recommending either one.
Good luck!
Old May 6, 1999, 09:12 AM   #4
BlkHawk73

I would suggest looking at the choices
given by Mitch Rosen
http://www.mitchrosen.com I have
purchased three f his holsterrs and have
been very satisfied w/ the quality of his
work. No IWB's? How about one that is
placed between the belt and the pants? I
use his full lentgh belt-slide for an HK
USP (fullsize) and find it very
comfortable. Good luck

Old May 6, 1999, 01:17 PM   #5
Rob Pincus

Galco makes a great many belt and paddle holsters that would suit you very well I think.

You might consider "high ride" and "canted" models, since concealing a large remi effectively outside of th pants is made much easier by getting it up and out of the way.
Old May 7, 1999, 03:17 PM   #6
DMSC

I've been using a Galco Concealable for the past week. I normally carry my Officers Model in a special low ride Aleesi Talon IWB. I needed a belt style holster for IDPA and since I'm tight with my money (I don't like to waste it!) I also wanted one that I could actully conceal the gun with. I was really impressed with the Concealable.
Old May 8, 1999, 10:44 PM   #7
Dallas

All of the holsters mentioned above are good holsters. All are over priced.

I suggest the Waldon Holster Co. http://www.waldonholsters.com The prices are as good as I have seen anywhere.

I think he is a one man shop, but he answered me pretty promptly when I emailed him.

The products I have are perfect.
Old May 17, 1999, 10:50 PM   #8
tanstaafl

leedesert: For full concealment and fairly quick draw, the IWB is the way to go. I carried a concealed pistol everyday, day and night for over seven years. As part of my work duties I often engaged in strenuous physical activity. As I worked in places were really bad things happen, being armed helped me survived some really bad things. The "discomfort" of the rig all too soon became a VERY comfortable feeling. Having to dress like a "bum" was kind of a, well, a "bummer" in many "social" situations, but the reality of the situation firmly placed all such fashion concerns far in the background. I've tried ALL the major name makers (and alot of the unknowns too). The FBI cant conceals the best for me (5'11", 160 lbs). Because of the "sweat through" effect I now go with Tim's products almost exclusively (Blade-Tech). The one IWB rig I really didn't care for was Rosens. Way too tight a fit and it's real particular about the angle you draw the weapon...it sticks badly too often, especially from weird "panic positions (ie flat on your back, from a belted car seat, etc.). Mitch also makes you wait the longest and pay the most...hmmm. It's probably just my funky "style". Anyway, at this point I'd like to get up on my soapbox and preach about how you need to spend LOTS of time and money (and serious thought!) on training and holsters and lawyers and etc...but I won't. Carrying a gun in public IS serious s***. Period. "Nuff said. Stay safe.
Old May 18, 1999, 05:49 AM   #9
Ossi

I did not like IWB holsters. I had tried some cheap models and they were very uncomfortable and some printed easily. I tried to find a better way to carry a gun than IWB, but couldn't. I finally tried Milt Sparks VM-2 IWB after suggestions from some experts, and was amazed. That holster is both very comfortable and very concealable. Check it out at www.miltsparks.com. Ossi
Old May 19, 1999, 12:16 AM   #10
Nakano

Where concealment is more important to comfort and accessability, the IWB is THE way to go. I' ve tried them all, from those flimsy nylon ones with metal belt(?) clips from many years back to my present favorite ones of Milt Sparks. At first they seem rather uncomfortable to use but with some time to get use to, the proper matching belt (double thick/ lined)and more relaxed pants, they are now a part of me.

If bulk is a concern, then take a look at Milt Sparks website: www.miltsparks.com. They offer their EX and Heritage with thin leather construction where a single piece of leather if folded over and then fitted around the particular piece. Even the reinforcing metal band is contained between the folded leather, dispensing with the traditional leather band. Hope this helps.

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."
Old May 27, 1999, 06:12 AM   #11
slingerofguns

I have used a Jim Burke holster for the last 4 years. It is very comfortable. I carry either a glock 30 or a LW Commander and have never had any problems, if fact sometimes you even forget the handguns is there. (that's forget as in weight, not as in stupid).
They cost $50 and have a no BS return policy if you do not like it. Website is
http://www.jimburkeholster.com
OMO
have a day
bud

Old May 27, 1999, 06:46 AM   #12
Bulldog

How about a BS-2 from M/D Enterprises. Check him out at www.gunsandgold.com .

I currently have one for the Glock 19, and there's another on its way for the Glock 30.
Old May 27, 1999, 10:09 AM   #13
Fred

Ditto Bulldog's comments. I was able to evaluate a BS-2 holster for awhile. Very impressive. It holds the pistol high and tight, and fit and finish is excellent. I liked it enough to place an order for one. You can get it alone, or as a special with belt and single mag pouch.

------------------
Regards - AZFred

Old May 30, 1999, 12:06 AM   #14
Sackett

Blade Tech's UCH model of IWB holster is very good also. An excellent belt maker at reasonable prices is Maverick Gun Leather, 200 N. Oak Lane, P.O. Box 185 Tolar, Texas 76476, 254-835-4859. They do not have a web site.
Old July 23, 1999, 04:13 PM   #15
jcoleman

Anyone know of a holster that is somewhat concealable that will fit an HK USP40 w/ a 6v Surefire Weapon Mounted Light affixed? Shoulder rigs are out of the question. I was thinking possibly a SOB style.
I'm 5'10", 180, muscular build (= wide torso). Thanks.

John Coleman
Old July 23, 1999, 05:53 PM   #16
Reloader

Take a look at Greg Kramer's holster line. I've tried a lot and his vertical scabbard is on of the best. www.kramerleather.com
I own 5 of them for various weapons.
Old July 27, 1999, 05:03 PM   #17
Futo Inu

I have experimented a fair amount and come up with some practical holsters. As you can see, I favor Kydex for practical reasons. Here is basically a reprint of my post in the former thread "Daily Carry and Means of Carry" without the guns (by occasion):

1. Daytime/Work (w/jacket): Blade-Tech Paddle with speed cut.

2. Evenings-Casual: Fanny pack.

3. Daytime or Evening Social: Blade-Tech Ultimate Concealment Holster or BayerArms "phone facade" holster (don't overlook this one - it's awesome). But you don't like IWBs, so you won't like the blade-tech UCH or other "tuckables" like Galco Deep Cover, etc.

4. Jogging/Sports: Active Body Holster Co's Sport Belly Band (the best BB, IMO). Can also be used for social NON-SUMMER occasions.

5. Outdoors/Hiking: Glock Sport/Combat beltslide (wouldn't work with your Ruger, but great/cheap holster for Glocks).

6. Almost forgot, if I just want to feel cool like a TV detective or when driving long distances, I like the SafariLand "Gun Quick" speed shoulder holster.

Oh, and if you do decide you like kydex, the relatively new Sidearmor holster look real good; someone said better than blade-tech. The Sidearmor guy posts here at TFL - where are ya, man?

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited July 27, 1999).]
Old July 28, 1999, 02:07 AM   #18
Sidearmor

Futo, I'm right here. (Sidearmor gal, BTW, does all the posting. Sideamor guy, is busy making holsters )

I didn't respond to this thread because at the present time we only make holsters for Glocks. We will, however, be moving into other handguns models in the future.

------------------
www.sidearmor.net

Precision Crafted
Kydex Holsters

Old July 28, 1999, 10:53 AM   #19
Futo Inu

Sorry, Sidearmor Gal.