The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 12, 2012, 05:27 PM   #1
c.j.sikes

target shooting

i have a range at my sons place where several of the family shoot. we put a plywood target up, 3 feet by 4 feet and it gets shoot up in about amoth so we put another on top of it, need a better idea? thanks cjs rifle ans pistol at 25 yds and 100 yds any help ? cjs
Old December 12, 2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Woody55

I buy one 4' x 8' sheet and cut it into quarters. I put up one of the 2' x 4' quarters and cover it with one of those paper, human sillhouette targets. Four staples - on in each corner.

The middle of the chest and the head get shot out, and that leaves a big hole in that part of the plywood. But it doesn't matter. The next target covers it up and there is still a place to staple the new target at the corners. I use up about one 2' x 4' quarter a year like that.
Old December 12, 2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Wyoredman

Staple a piece of cardboard over the plywood when it becomes shot up. The cardboard can be replaced as many times as necessary and takes staples nearly as well as the plywood.
Old December 12, 2012, 11:31 PM   #4
medalguy

I have a range in my back yard. The target holder is two 4 x 4 posts about 6 feet apart. I strung some antenna guy wire between the posts about 4 feet high and 6 feet high, Then I put clothes pins on the wires and suspend paper targets between the clothespins. No backers used at all. When finished, all I do is pull down the paper and toss it in the barrel, no other trash to worry about.

I bought the paper targets at LEtargets.com if you're interested.
Old December 13, 2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Wood target frame with hooks to hang on strap mounted to target stand, Cardboard is held on by wood strips on top and bottom and the strips are held in place with screws. Cardboard gets replaced when I can't staple a target to it. I have 6 frames for 25, 50 and 100 yard target stands and have only had to rebuild one frame in the last 5 years. I was a little off at 100 yards with my 45 pistol and my 91/30 Mosin Nagant so I messed up the top board of the target frame. All it costs me is cardboard and I get that for free everytime I buy something big.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 13, 2012, 04:19 PM   #6
c.j.sikes

tyhanks fellows, that is a lot of good ideas. its windy here in okla. so i think the cardboard will work verry well. some of the young people sure are hard on targets, as for me and 38 spl w.c . 20 yards is fine but 25 and every thing gets fuzzey, i dont think it the fact that i am 81, ithink it is the diet coke. thanks cjs
Old December 13, 2012, 10:11 PM   #7
ltc444

A friend of mine from college and the army came up with a good method. A lot of our shooting was done in borrow pits. (places were dirt was removed for fill)

He attached chicken wire between two T post. We rolled it up for transport. When we reached our shooting site, we simply unrolled the wire and post. We would then push the post into the ground.

To attach the target we used clothes pins sufficient to hold the targets on the frame.

I currently use this system on my range here in Eastern Ar. It is a very windy location. I tried wood backing and staples but the winds ripped the targets off. The clothes pens and chicken wire holds the targets.
Old December 13, 2012, 10:21 PM   #8
mitchntx

Post election season, target holders were on most street corners.

And there are those occasional yard sale and home for sale target holders.