The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 9, 2006, 03:07 PM   #1
fivepaknh

Legacy .50 Muzzleloader?

Southern Ohio Gun has an ad in their flyer for a Legacy .50 muzzleloader. Is anyone familiar with these? They’re selling for $70. Are they better than the CVA’s I’ve seen at Wal-Mart?
Old October 10, 2006, 08:34 PM   #2
arcticap

I shouldered an Italian Palmetto inline at a gun show and mistakenly confused it with the Legacy. It had a plunger type action with a stem similar to a Lyman Cougar or the Traditions Trapper. It also had a wood stock that while decent looking, was maybe a little thin in the wrist area with a shallow drop to it. I didn't work the action, but overall it looked like a decent gun with not the greatest ergonomics. For $70 bucks it's probably a fair deal but I'm assuming that they shoot okay. They usually retail for about $99 or more.
If you want a comfortable rifle you might want to look further, but you're not going to find many with a wood stock at that price.

Here's a link to an Italian Palmetto on auction:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...0Factory%20New

Last edited by arcticap; October 13, 2006 at 09:51 AM.
Old April 5, 2007, 07:06 PM   #3
Losttime

Legacy Rifle Safety

I used to own a Legacy 50 cal BP rifle that I got from cabelas. it seemed to be a good gun except for one problem with the safety. I found that if you mistakenly tried to fire the gun withe safty on ,it would not fire with the safety on,, but the trigger would move back and stay there. Then when I would take the gun off safety the bolt would slam forward and fire the gun without touching the trigger. Not too safe. I got rid of it.
Old April 6, 2007, 04:25 PM   #4
O.S.O.K.

I would recommend spending a little more

and getting a good used Thompson Center Renegade - check the auctions out- you can get them for around $200 and they are very nice rifles.

You gain little with an in-line IMHO.

If you really want an in-line, I'd go with TC or CVA - they both make "entry level" rifles that are miles ahead of that Legacy.