The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2001, 01:40 PM   #1
LoneStranger

I am new to this reloading game and I am looking for information. My Father has a family heirloom pistol in .41 Long Colt by Colt. Best info at this time is that the value of the firearm to collectors is not that great so we are looking for reloading information so as to be able to use for intended purposes. Not a primary arm and would probably only fire enough to check loads.
Primarily looking for load data sheets, only one that I have found is for blackpowder.
Any other info greatly appreciated.
Old February 8, 2001, 02:56 PM   #2
Chris McDermott

41 Long Colt isn't one of the easy to reload calibers. You can find some specific information at

http://www.sixgunner.com/omeara/41longcolt.htm

and "HarryO" at the sixgunner message board has been working with this caliber see

http://disc.server.com/discussion.cg...&article=99199

He has been working with fire-forming 41 Long cases from 357 cases.
Old February 8, 2001, 08:07 PM   #3
Kenneth L. Walters

Factory ammunition for the 41 Colt has never dried up. A lot of people don't know that but it is true. Probably about 30 years ago now some fellow in Texas had a special run made by Winchester, 1 million empty cases and 1 million rounds of ammunition. Some of the ammunition still servives. Ain't cheap and is a little hard to find but it is there. If you are interested try Huntington's or Ron Peterson Guns in Albuquerque. Huntington's has a web site but for something like this you should call.

Brass is available from Bertrums. Huntington's imports it. Not very good brass but, well, brass. Starline may have made some by now. Also Ballard Rifle & Cartridge Company does.

The problem with the 41 Colt is that it uses a heeled bullet. Except for 22 rimfire ammunition, heeled bullets are VERY uncommon these days. I don't know of any available factory bullets.

Heeled bullets are a pain because the outside diameter of the heel has to be just a fair larger than the inside diameter of the case so that when the bullet is pushed into the case it has a good friction fit. That can be a REAL challenge. It is rumored that Lee Precision now has a crimp die that works with this heeled bullet but I haven't checked that out.

Loading the 41 Colt is certainly doable BUT this isn't where I'd want to get my introduction into reloading.
Old February 12, 2001, 02:37 PM   #4
tooltime

.41 long colt

I have been reloading .41 LC for a number of years. It is one of the more difficult cartridges to reload. The supplies are available but you will have to do some work and spend some money to get them. I would be willing to share my information with you if you e-mail me. It really sounds like what you need to do is go to a gun show and look for a box of the last production winchester. It will cost from $45 to $65 dollars for a box of 50. Reloading supplies just to load the .41 LC will cost you $150 or more.
Old February 12, 2001, 08:24 PM   #5
C.R.Sam

41st edition Lyman Ammunition Reloading Handbood shows some loads using 190gr cast hollow base # 386178.

Same book also shows data using # 386177 cast heel base. The heel is .386 and the external part is about .401.

The hollow base depends on expansion to fill and seal barrel diameter.

Sam
Old February 17, 2001, 12:01 AM   #6
LoneStranger

I wish to thank all of you who have responded to my question and who have willingly shared your information.