The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2014, 01:47 PM   #1
motmot

Can someone recommend a good load using this stuff?

I've got a whole bunch of Alliant 2400, about 1000 200grn LSWC, and too many once fired 45 colt brass. I need to build something using these components that will fire safely out of the 1917 Colt New Service revolver that Grandpa used in WWI. It works well which is why I have all the brass but the only recipe that is listed on the Alliant site is for 250grn LSWC. If someone could run the numbers and give me an idea on how much powder, velocity, and pressure I would appreciate it. Thanks
Old February 5, 2014, 02:03 PM   #2
Snyper

2400 isn't a great powder for lighter weight bullets.
I imagine you'll have a hard time finding any data

I'd suggest selling/trading one of the components for something more suitable
Old February 5, 2014, 02:16 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

Quote:
2400 is not a great powder for lighter weight bullets.
^^ Exactly. ^^

2400 is a slow powder. Slow powders are better suited for heavier bullets (in general). And that is why you can only find data for the 250g slugs.

If it is difficult to find load data for a particular bullet/powder combination, that should be your clue that it is most likely an awkward bullet/powder combination; and thus, should be avoided.

You need to find a faster powder. Something in the medium speed range, most likely. I don't load for 45 Colt, so others will be better able to specifically recommend a propellant.
Old February 5, 2014, 02:28 PM   #4
motmot

I know it was a long shot but I figured that if anyone was doing it they would be on this forum. Great resource site. Wish I could get some other powder, Unique works for everything I load, just can't find it.
Old February 5, 2014, 03:18 PM   #5
hdbiker

cast bullet load

I cast my own for my Ruger .44 mag, and agree 2400 is not ideal for 200 grain .45 Colt loads. My Blackhawk likes 240 grain cast bullets about 1200 fps over Blue Dot. Very accurate with minimal leading.CK your loading manual, there a bunch of powders suitable for light .45 Colt loads with 200 bullets. hdbiker
Old February 5, 2014, 06:50 PM   #6
Snyper

Quote:
Unique works for everything I load, just can't find it.
Then the thing to do would be get heavier bullets
Maybe you can work out a trade somewhere, or just buy some 250's and hang on to the 200's until you find a more suitable powder for them
Old February 5, 2014, 09:42 PM   #7
Ifishsum

2400 isn't that great for std pressure .45 colt loads in any bullet weight, and is much better suited for higher pressure loads (and heavier bullets). Unique is good, and just about any powder faster than that would work better for your 200s - Red Dot, Green Dot, Trail Boss, etc
Old February 5, 2014, 10:10 PM   #8
myfriendis410

2400 would be totally inappropriate for the loading you are trying to do. You need Unique or Universal Clays (almost identical) or Bullseye, Red Dot etc.
Old February 5, 2014, 11:25 PM   #9
Clark

I loaded up some 45 Colt wimpy loads in various cast weight bullets for my brother's 1917 Smith.
He is a great shot with a handgun, and could demonstrate the the Unique loads were much more accurate than the 2400 loads.

The 2400 loads all went off, and if you are a lousy shot like me, you couldn't tell the difference.

18.8 gr 2400 200 gr cast 1.58" should be 14,000 psi max load

16.2 gr 2400 250 gr cast 1.58" should be 14,000 psi max load

Congrats on getting Grandpa's Colt New Service.
I have collected (3) New Service revolvers in the last year and a greatly admire them.
Our grandfather only left us a break top Iver Johnson 38 S&W hammerless.
But I greatly admired my grandfather despite that
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 6, 2014, 07:21 PM   #10
motmot

Thanks all and especially Clark. I appreciate the load info and may give it a try. Just acquired some SR-4756 which does have data for these bullets so I'll probably just use that until I get some projectiles in the 250 gr range. Thanks again for everyone's input.