The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 7, 2008, 12:29 PM   #1
Dennisp

Seating Depth and Taper Questions

I have two questions (right now) reguarding pistol reloading.

1. Can you check the seating depth, on a .45 ACP, the same way you would on a rifle with a depth guage? I have a Rajun Cajun Depth guage that on rifles you run the rod down the barrel until the rod touches the closed bolt and tighten the top thumb screw on the pieces that slide up and down. Then hold a barely seated case and bullet in the chamber and run the rod down the barrel until it just touches the bullet and tighten the bottom thumb screw on the bottom slider and then measure the distance between and subtract .010" from that number and that is your COAL? Did anyone follow that?

2. How much of a taper do you put on a pistol case and how to you tell if you have too much or too little? I understand the principal behind a taper crimp but I'm not sure how to tell if I'm putting enough crimp or not. I pulled some of my bullets (230g LRN) and they are actually digging into the lead where it seats.
Old December 7, 2008, 12:59 PM   #2
rwilson452

For seating depth on .45ACP I use the barrel as a gauge. As long as possible but still sits in the barrel correctly. the amount of crimp I use is dependent on the bullet and powder in use. after crimping if you can push the bullet back in the case with your thumb, it ain't enough crimp. how much crimp to use is often debated here. everyone is sure their answer is correct.