The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 23, 2011, 12:27 AM   #1
hsingyu

Tokarev TT-33 is a very bad gun

My reivew of Tokarev TT-33

The Russians design bad pistol, the TT-33 has a very uncomfortable grip with no back strap. Recoil is strong and difficult to shoot single handed and the safety is hard to pull. The Chinese made versions use bad steel compared to Russia and it sucks even more. This is a pathetic little gun and I would recommend it to no one. It is a very primative weapon.

Last edited by hsingyu; November 23, 2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old November 23, 2011, 12:38 AM   #2
Catfishman

I agree. I couldn't wait get one, then I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

I'll add that it has poor sights and it is very loud.
Old November 23, 2011, 12:41 AM   #3
Cheapshooter

So, how much do you want for the one you own that you shot for your review?
I'd be more than glad to take it off your hands. My Polish, Romanian, and Yugo M57 versions are all great pistols. Accurate, reliable, and tons of fun to shoot!!!

Quote:
I'll add that it has poor sights and it is very loud.
I like loud, loud is GOOD
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 23, 2011, 12:44 AM   #4
9mm

Quote:
uh .................
Old November 23, 2011, 12:48 AM   #5
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Quote:
uh .................
Didn't even notice that. Never mind the offer to buy yours OP!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 23, 2011, 12:48 AM   #6
briandg

Thanks for the information.
Old November 23, 2011, 12:50 AM   #7
Catfishman

Quote:
Good for you.
Old November 23, 2011, 12:51 AM   #8
SIGSHR

IIRC on the original Soviet ones the only safety was a half cock. I agree its ergonomics are poor-like the Broomhandle Mauser-but it is an interesting piece of history.
Old November 23, 2011, 12:55 AM   #9
Jim Watson

I believe that no actual East Bloc issue TT33 or other Tokarev variant had a manual safety. What you see in the USA is parts scabbed on to gain "points" to make importation possible.

There was the Tokagypt 9mm with manual safety, but then that is not East Bloc.
Old November 23, 2011, 01:34 AM   #10
Nakanokalronin

Maybe he's mad because the Russians where better at being communists?

I think the OP is a troll from across the sea or someone pretending to be one. In any case, the TT-33 is a great firearm.
Old November 23, 2011, 01:47 AM   #11
TennJed

Can't comment on the TT-33, but the Russians made a fine pistol in the Makarov. I love mine and consider it $ for $ the best buy in handguns.
Old November 23, 2011, 04:39 AM   #12
kozak6

How does it compare to other military pistols of the early 1930's?
Old November 23, 2011, 06:05 AM   #13
Jim Watson

You mean like the 1911A1?
Old November 23, 2011, 06:33 AM   #14
hsingyu

I am not a troll and the fact where I am from does not means I have never shot a gun before. I don't like this gun, it is rubbish. In China we have our own version called the type 54 pistol.
Old November 23, 2011, 07:15 AM   #15
Deaf Smith

hsingyu,

The Yugo Toks they import here have good safeties and are decently made. I have one and it's a nice shooter even if I pack only Glocks and S&W J revolvers!

I can understand how you feel about the Chinese ones as I've handled their Makarovs and they are no where near as good as Ruskies, Bulgarians, or EGs. I have the EG and Bulgarian models and I can tell!

But with your huge population and Communist rule that makes it difficult to come out with a quality product. Just to expensive on hand and the rulers really don't want to many guns in citizens hands there. That is the nature of Communist rule.

I hope one day you are able to come to America. We do have our problems but it's way cool here compared to most of the world.

Deaf
Old November 23, 2011, 08:47 AM   #16
Rugerismisticness

Toks are very good guns flat out. They fit in the pile of other surplus guns that are tough, no frills, reliable and combat accurate. I'd probably place it somewhere between the Mak and the CZ52 or the CZ82.
Old November 23, 2011, 09:37 AM   #17
carguychris

Quote:
I believe that no actual East Bloc issue TT33 or other Tokarev variant had a manual safety. What you see in the USA is parts scabbed on to gain "points" to make importation possible... There was the Tokagypt 9mm with manual safety, but then that is not East Bloc.
The Yugo M57's have manual thumb safeties, but it's debatable whether they're truly TT-33s due to various design changes. (It's also debatable whether Yugoslavia was truly "Eastern Bloc" because the government wasn't dominated by the Soviets like other Eastern European countries, and it often played both sides against the middle for political advantage during the Cold War.)

Other than this, Jim is correct.

Hsingyu: FWIW TT-33s without the importer add-on thumb safeties are rare and expensive in the USA because there are very few in circulation. US law has required safety devices on pistols imported since 1968, but the only Tokarevs to enter the States prior to 1968 were imported by smugglers in small numbers, or brought one at a time by American soldiers returning from Korea and Vietnam. Most of these pistols are in very rough condition but are valuable because of their rarity.
Old November 23, 2011, 10:01 AM   #18
AustinTX

Quote:
Yes it is! I love shooting the Tokarev round out of my CZ 52, and while it barks, I find the recoil to be mild. Yes, the trigger, sights, and ergonomics are not very good, but the gun is incredibly fun to shoot. I'd like to get my hands on a TT-33 as well.
Old November 23, 2011, 12:13 PM   #19
amd6547

I also find the Tokarev to be a fine pistol. My current one is Romanian. My first Tokarev was a Chinese Type 54 which was brought back from Viet Nam since it's former owner just didnt need it anymore.
It looked as if it had spent some time in a rice paddy, and it was mismatched serial numbers between frame and slide. Barrel very dark and pitted. Yet, it fired every time and was accurate.
I find the grip to work fine, and even find it to point well for me. Recoil is non-existant.
A good Tokarev is one of the best pistols going. I use mine for my woods pistol.
Old November 23, 2011, 12:14 PM   #20
doofus47

I have only shot the Romanian TTC, but I couldn't disagree more, Hsingyu. It was my first pistol. It was simple, reliable as a rock, sharp, but controllable recoil for a hard-hitting round, and I carried it as my hunting side arm.

Fortunately, there are many more types of pistols out there for you to try. Better luck with your next sidearm.
Old November 23, 2011, 12:50 PM   #21
HeroHog

I LOVED mine! Sure, the safety was junk but they were nice SLIM, fairly accurate guns in my hands!

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `Nuff said.
Old November 23, 2011, 01:06 PM   #22
B. Lahey

Where did you get the idea that Chinese tokarevs are made from poor-quality steel?

It has been my experience that Chinese arms, although sometimes ugly, are usually made of quite nice steel.
Old November 23, 2011, 02:12 PM   #23
Stonefly_Soldier

I really like the tokagypt myself, never shot an eastern block model though
Old November 23, 2011, 02:59 PM   #24
MythBuster

"Where did you get the idea that Chinese tokarevs are made from poor-quality steel?

It has been my experience that Chinese arms, although sometimes ugly, are usually made of quite nice steel."

Some are such as the SKS and the very good Norinco 1911 and some are not such as their version of the Tokarevs they made to export to the US.
Old November 23, 2011, 03:12 PM   #25
cougar gt-e

Unlike the OP, I think the Romanian copy of the TT33 to be an excellent firearm. It's able to easily hit bulls eyes at 25 yards, easily able to hold tight groups, easily able to be shot quickly. Maybe the physical fact that I am 6'1" and 210 pounds with large hands makes the gun fit me well and point like an extension of my arm.

Plus there was a day when you could get 1260 rounds of ammo for $86 + 6 for delivery to the front door.

Hopefully, the OP won't take it too hard that we disagree with his opinion. Maybe he will stick around and let us know what handguns he does like?