The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 24, 2011, 07:06 PM   #1
TXAZ

M1C Garand Sniper rifle

I noticed the CMP program is now offering M1C Garand Sniper rifles in "Good to Very Good" condition, without scope, mount or cheek pad for $3K.

Conversely, you can by a Very Good M1 Garand from them for $500 to $1K.

What's the difference?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 24, 2011, 07:36 PM   #2
kraigwy

Not really any differance. The M1Cs the DCM come with the sight base but no mount or scope.

Neither the MIC or D are match grade, (not like the M21 or M14 version).

If you are looking for a collector and you need the M1C, then thats a good price. If you are looking for a shooter, and just want an M1, you'd be better to go the Service Grade M1.

If you are wanted to put together a M1 for the CMP GSM Vintage Sniper Rifle Matches, CMP sells the "D" model for $1500. Still you have to find the Mount, Cheek Pad, M-84 scope, and Flash Hider which you also have to do for the M1C.

As for which is better, the M1C or M1D, it depends on what you want. Both are good rifles.

I ran sniper schools for the National Guard when we still used M1C & Ds, we had both. There was no advantage of one over the other, both were good rifles and capable of engaging man size targets up to 900 yards after the rifle is sighted in.

Some complain that the scope slips in the D scope rings. That was a simple fix. Put a dab of rosin powder on the scope before you tighten it down.

Like I said, if you are collecting, the $3000 for the C is a fair price. If you want a shooter to put together a M1 Sniper Rifle, the cheaper $1500 "D" model is the way to go.

The best of all worlds would to have one of each.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 24, 2011, 08:06 PM   #3
AK103K

A couple of years ago, a shop near me who deals in a lot of US military rifles, and usually has some "nice" M1's and M1 Carbines, had a "mint" 1950's era DCM M1D with all the accessories for $4000. The rifle looked brand new and had all the documentation.

It and a couple of M1's came out of a local boys collection. The other rifles were in the same condition too, but they were only going for around $1000 each.
Old June 26, 2011, 02:07 AM   #4
ltcboy

I have both the C & the D. Keep in mind that you are in a very peculiar time here. And it will never happen ever again. There were only less than 8000 M1C's that were made. You are able to either order one via the CMP through FedEx, or you can pick out your own at either the N. Store or S. Store locations. Once they are gone....that's it. You will never see that happen ever again. For $3k, they are an investment, so get while the gettin's good.

Mike

Last edited by ltcboy; June 26, 2011 at 02:16 AM.
Old June 26, 2011, 10:06 AM   #5
Loader9

Just so you are aware, the only true M1 sniper model rifles accepted by the Gov't were made by Springfield only. Any other maker is not a real one. While it's a nice collector if found in fabulous condition, it doesn't really offer any thing in the way of a better shooter.
http://www.scott-duff.com/M1C.htm
Old June 26, 2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Chris_B

Last year I had the chance to buy the correct scope and rail for an M1C for 600 dollars and I am still kicking myself for passing
Old June 26, 2011, 05:52 PM   #7
ltcboy

Just so you are aware, the only true M1 sniper model rifles accepted by the Gov't were made by Springfield only. Any other maker is not a real one. While it's a nice collector if found in fabulous condition, it doesn't really offer any thing in the way of a better shooter.

I bought my M1C from the CMP. So I don't have to have any concern about it not being legit. It has the papers & is a Springfield. Have the Kayline cheeck pad, the legit Griffin & Howe 7/8th's military mount, a "B" series Lyman Alaskan and the Hart M2 flash hider.

Here are pics:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/06...and/?start=all
Old June 26, 2011, 09:30 PM   #8
Loader9

Itcboy, looked at yer pics, darn nice rifle. If the serial number, which I saw the tag reading matching numbers, is in the 3 million, it would look like you have a real honest M1C. Buying from the CMP guarantees you nothing. My brother bought an M1C from them and was advertised as such but they delivered a numbers matching, fabulous looking unfired Winchester. It had all of the M1C accessories but it is not a real one. Considering he is a Winchester collector, he was happy.