The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 24, 2011, 10:57 AM   #1
willjr75

Bottom rail for Ruger mini 14?

My father just purchased a Ruger mini 14 ranch rifle with a synthetic stock. He wants to add a bottom rail to the existing stock. He does not want to get another full stock. Is it possible to add a bottom rail to the existing stock? My search on the internet leads me to changing stocks and so forth. Can a rail be purchased and drilled into the existing stock? I'm concerned that if i drill holes and add the screws there might be clearance issues when the original stock is put back together on the rifle.
Old June 24, 2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Skans

There are bottom rails made for the Mini-14. The stock tolerances aren't that tight around the action. Depending on what kind of screws come with the rail, you might need to counter-sink them a little. But, I've seen mini-14's with just bottom rails and I've seen just the bottom rail for the mini-14 advertised on various websites.
Old June 24, 2011, 12:51 PM   #3
Magog

you can get a little rail piece, 2-3 inches, and drill your own holes and screw it to the stock. Nutnfacy does this tot his rifles.

He said it is common.
Old June 24, 2011, 12:55 PM   #4
willjr75

Thank a lot guys. As always, there are quick informative answers on this site.
Old June 24, 2011, 12:59 PM   #5
tobnpr

If it's a factory synthetic, it's a Hogue (assuming it isn't the ATI tactical folder).
If the rail is for a bipod, it may be simpler to just add a sling stud instead of a rail...
Old June 24, 2011, 01:05 PM   #6
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Depending on exactly why he wants a lower mount, light possibly, he might consider the Amega forward rail. It essentially replaces the hand guard with a long rail with the option of mounting light/laser/whatever on either side of the main rail; optional kit that attaches to pre-drilled holes.
http://www.amegaranges.com/

I have one on a Mini-14 with a 2-6 Bushnell ERR scope; scout style. You can also use the stock irons if you do not have an optic mounted; I have quick detach rings for this very purpose. Very well made, solid as a rock, works great, a little on the spendy side.

There are some other products out there; however, I personally, after much research, went this route and highly recommend it.

Now, go figure...
Old June 24, 2011, 01:09 PM   #7
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
If the rail is for a bipod, it may be simpler to just add a sling stud instead of a rail...
If it is for a bipod, Harris makes an adapter specifically for the Mini, I have one of those on mine too.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=199096

Now, go figure...
Old June 24, 2011, 01:48 PM   #8
willjr75

My father wants to add a grip pod. I have one on my AR and he likes the dual functions of it. I don't think it will make his Mini pretty, but that is what he wants. He has the black synthetic stock the Mini originally came with, without the pistol grip . I'm not sure if it's by Houge or not.
Old June 24, 2011, 02:15 PM   #9
Skans

I've use a Grip-pod on my AC556 (auto mini-14) and really like it. I got the Israeli one - it's stout with spring loaded aluminum legs.
Old June 28, 2011, 08:01 AM   #10
zinner

I just put a sling stud into my mini stock (same black synthetic).

If you take the stock off there is a shield for the gas block that fits into the stock. As long as your hardware can fit under that shield it should be ok.

I just fit a "Harris Engineering Weapon Accessories Number Radiused Flange Nut 2r" into the stock with a little grinding of the inside of the stock to remove one of the ribs and a 5/16 drill bit. It just fits, hopefully that gives you are idea of how much clearance you have to work with.