The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 1, 2016, 02:03 PM   #1
ditchpanther

First AR15 Advice

Never owned an AR before, looking to get one before you can't anymore. Went to LGS and was drawn to the DPMS 3G1. I like the looks and functionality of the handrail and the feel of the Magpul stock. Feels good on the cheek. Opinions on this gun?

My budget is around $1400 including optics. Want to use the gun mainly as a fun gun but possibly hunting coyote down the road. Want to stay with the 5.56/.223 caliber. Any advice on what guns I should be looking at and researching? What things should I be looking for? I am new to this so everything at this point is just what looks good and is functional. I have no idea about the actual working pieces of the AR. Any advice would be helpful.
Old January 1, 2016, 02:22 PM   #2
rickyrick

1400 should get you a good AR, but I can't give good advice because I'm a 600$ AR man.
Old January 1, 2016, 02:32 PM   #3
Pilot

Magpul Edition Colt M4/LE6920 with a 1-4 power scope, SWFA SS, Burris, etc. You'll have $100 left over for ammo.
Old January 1, 2016, 02:32 PM   #4
WVsig

I would skip the DPMS.

There is a good deal one FN-15 right now at CDNN. Magpul MOE in gray furniture on a quality carbine. $849+ shipping and transfer.

http://www.cdnnsports.com/fnh-fn15-m...l#.VobS3VmAaXg

That leaves you plenty of money for a Aimpoint Pro which can be found for $360-$410. Wait for a sale. You could even step up to a micro H1 if you are looking for a reddot. If you want something with magnification there are plenty of good options in the $300 to $400 range.

The other option would be look at PSA and get a complete upper and a complete lower and pin them together. You could get that done for about $600-$700 and then you have enough cash for an ACOG.

$199 + shipping and transfer http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-a...-magazine.html

and the upper of your choice.
Old January 1, 2016, 04:53 PM   #5
rcase1234

With that budget I'd look at Colt, FN, and even BCM if you can find the right deal on one. All quality rifles and IF any sort of BS ban is put into place they will for sure be highly sought after rifles. Even if you don't plan on selling it its something I keep in mind
Old January 1, 2016, 05:07 PM   #6
chris in va

To be perfectly honest, while I have had great luck with my Sport, I'd much rather have something with a mid or full length gas system. Carbines are all the rage because, well...that's what the military uses, but in a practical sense just for target shooting at the range and hunting a longer AR is preferred.

A guy let me try his tacticool'ed AR last week and frankly with all that crap hanging off it the gun was unuseable.

Last edited by chris in va; January 1, 2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old January 1, 2016, 07:05 PM   #7
rickyrick

I have carbine gas... only because at the time of purchase the savings was significant.
I'd definitely take Chris's advice and go full length rifle with a 1000+ budget.
I can take Coyotes easily with a carbine, but I think a rifle would be suitable.
you can get decent hunting scopes for cheaper than Tacticool optics as well, so you should be able to get a nice AR predator rig for your budget
Old January 1, 2016, 07:19 PM   #8
marine6680

DPMS is considered a Low to Mid tier rifle, depending on the model.

Stocks are easy to swap out and for not much money, so don't pick an AR based solely on a stock you can buy yourself and install on another rifle that may be better made.

As far as what to look for in an AR:
I suggest a Mid length gas system AR as well.

The carbine length system was designed for use on 14in barrels. Add the extra barrel length to make it a civilian legal 16in, and the gas system is no longer optimum.

Mid gas systems were designed to work well on 16in barrels.

If you want an M4 look alike, then yeah, a carbine length system is the way to go... But if you just want a solid rifle, then midlength is the way to go. Ditch the m4 barrel cutout as well.

For that reason, I never suggest a Colt... They are well made rifles, but they don't really offer midlength.

Does FN offer midlength? They make good rifles from my understanding.

With a $1400 budget, you can get into the higher end ARs.

Is that budget just for a rifle, or does that budget have to cover the cost of sights as well? I will give a few options and cover the bases. A set of sights will cost between $80 for a set of Magpul MBUS (real ones, not Chinese copies) and up to several hundred for a complete set. (if you get a rifle that has a front sight base and not a free float, then you only need the rear sight)

If you want an optic like a red dot sight, the price can vary wildly depending on brand and quality level. A good Aimpoint will be about $450 or more depending on model. Vortex has options around the $150-200 range. Primary arms makes a decent cheap $100 red dot, and a close to Aimpoint quality version for $250.

On the higher end:

You can find Daniel's Defense rifles for that, depending on model and sales. DD makes top notch higher end rifles.

Bravo Company is a well respected maker of high quality ARs, and offer many models, you can find one for around $1400. If you are willing, BCM offers complete lowers and complete uppers for sale individually, you can make a rifle how you want it, no work required. The lowers run around $400, uppers run around $550 and up depending on the options. They have an upper with their free float hand-guard, with bolt and charging handle included for around $725.

(I am a big fan of BCM, and own two)

If you want to spend a little less, then Palmetto State Armory has complete rifles from as low as $550 and up in price from there. PSA is known for making a good budget gun for the money, one of the best cheaper ARs out there right now.

PSA also makes higher end stuff as well, for good prices. Their "Premium" line of rifles (especially the ones with the CHF barrels) are well respected as being very good solid and reliable rifles, for a good price.

You can get a complete rifle, but you can also buy a complete lower and upper. A "premium" lower runs about $200 and a complete premium upper will run around $450-600 depending on options.

FN actually makes PSA's premium barrels.

I own 2 PSA premium rifles, and recommend them highly.

If you want to go Colt, they can be had for around $900.
FN has them around that price as well.
Armalite has a mid length for around the $800 mark.

There are many good rifles out there... and DPMS isn't a horrible gun by any means.

But DPMS does have some models that deviate wildly from the AR standard specs... To the point that replacement parts are proprietary and you have to get them from DPMS.

It was some special model they did in 308 and a 5.56 version as well I believe. And if memory serves, I think they have some fit issues even with their standard models.

Just something to keep in mind, as future parts replacement may be difficult, should the worst happen and the company goes under many years from now.
Old January 1, 2016, 07:59 PM   #9
WVsig

I just realized the DPMS 3G1 is a 18" barrel. If that is the length you are looking for skip the FN it is a carbine length system.

I would look at BCM if you stretch your budget a bit.

18" Compete upper. $754 plus shipping

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-S...0-kmr-a-15.htm

Complete lower $400 + shipping and transfer.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-C...mod-0-mail.htm

That leaves about $200+ for optics.

The other option I am considering for my own rife is a BCM upper and a PSA lower. This would save you $200 and will leave you $400 for optics.

Complete lower with Magpul STR http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-a...-magazine.html

Last edited by WVsig; January 1, 2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old January 1, 2016, 08:22 PM   #10
marine6680

WVsig:

I don't know if you seen my post in your thread asking about the BCM vs PSA lowers. Where I talk about the buffer tube...

And 18in barrel... well I guess we need to figure out what the OP wants to use the rifle for.

A precision focused build is different than a basic carbine, and tends to cost more as well, especially once you factor in the cost of a decent scope.

If it's just going to be a fun range toy, then a 16in barrel is fine. A 16in quality barrel will be more than accurate enough for most shooters.
Old January 1, 2016, 08:36 PM   #11
howl

" Magpul Edition Colt M4/LE6920 with a 1-4 power scope, SWFA SS, Burris, etc. You'll have $100 left over for ammo.

What he said.
Old January 1, 2016, 09:22 PM   #12
xandi

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-a...le/p/kt-pac5x/

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/64...contour-barrel
And a lower receaver 50$+
That might do the trick if you don't mind building
Will leave you about 400$ for ammo and mags

Last edited by xandi; January 1, 2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old January 1, 2016, 09:50 PM   #13
ms6852

You will get various opinions about ar's and there is a multitude to choose from. They come in many tiers ranging in hundreds or thousands of dollars. The AR's are platforms that are easily modified including a magpul stock which can easily add two hundred dollars to the price of the rifle. For the money in a mid tier rifle the Rock River Arms are a great value that easily outperform or equal the high tier platforms for a lot less money.

Not only that Rock River Arms guarantee a 3/4 MOA gun. Mine performs better than that, thanks to the two stage trigger it comes with, which is quite good.
Old January 1, 2016, 11:01 PM   #14
mudlark

ditch,

Save your coin. I bought my first AR a couple years back for a little over $600. S&W Sport. I only use it for punchin paper with handloads. I have found it to be a very good choice for a first timer.

There are quality choices still in the $600 to $800 range. The Sport can still be had at that low end and the Spikes Tactical midlength at that high end.

The Colt is worth the money if that is what you want to spend.

Get out and handle some before you make your move. Good luck.
Old January 6, 2016, 09:50 PM   #15
BWM

If you are think of some long rang shooting look at the Windham varmint SS I have one that will put all five shoots in 1/2 in at 100 yd. I am 75 years old and as steady as I use to be. Good luck on what ever gun you get.
Old January 7, 2016, 04:18 PM   #16
JerryLZ

We might be twins, I'm in this same position right now. So far I've pieced my gun together and its a $1600 build before optics but I'm also paying extra for everything ambi since I'm a lefty but guns are forever so good luck on your build. With all the research I've combed through, $1400 will get you a nice gun.

Tags
ar15