The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 7, 2002, 10:03 PM   #1
The Terminator

Boss System and Iron Sights

Hello All,
I am having a boss put on my A-Bolt 375 H&H. It has a 26 inch barrel and iron sights. Is the boss compatible with the iron sights? I would like to make this a Scout type rifle with a rear mounted peep sight and still retain the front sight, if there is no problem with it or the boss interfering with one another. I will have a scout rail put on it after I have the boss system installed. Thanks, Ted.

--------------------
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old December 7, 2002, 10:36 PM   #2
saands

I don't think that the BOSS will occlude the sight, but since the BOSS is adjustable, they will need to thread about an inch of your barrel and the locking ring will cover about an extra half inch of unthreaded barrel. So ... if your front sight is more than 1.5 inches back from the muzzle, you will probably be OK ...

Saands
Old December 8, 2002, 12:14 AM   #3
DeBee

Alternatively, you could get the front sight dovetailed into the end of the scout rail as in the original scout setup...

This is supposed to keep it from harm and getting muddy but lessens the sighting distance.

I personally, am still trying to work out a QD scout type sighting system that would allow you to mount your choice of a traditional eye relief scope, a scout scope, or have instantly available (and sighted) peep sights...

But alas, the ultimate Mauser Scout Carbine is still on the drawing board...