The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 27, 2002, 11:21 AM   #26
ZeusOne

johnbt: The bore snake won't remove a plug of snow or ice, but a handy twig will. Then use the bore snake to clean up the mess.

It's no Dewey rod, but it's better than nothing when I'm way back in the woods and traveling light.
Old November 30, 2002, 11:17 PM   #27
Fatelvis

A couple years ago, my hunting partner`s 20 guage 870 Wingmaster got plugged with mud. We stopped, I cleaned out ALMOST all of the mud with a stick, scraping the barrel walls until only a tiny residue remained when finished. (We did not have a Boresnake, or any other means of cleaning it further) Even though I did the best I could with the stick, after the first shot, he had a bulge in the barrel towards the end, with a split running down the middle of it! Dont EVER try to clean a barrel in a half-assed manner like we did. Spring for the $20, and get some kind of portable cleaning kit! Good shootin`-
Old December 1, 2002, 01:42 AM   #28
sm

Above post reason why I use the Otis Kit.

Nothing wrong with Boresnake. I just happen to own the Otis, and no need for me to purchase something else--in various calibers/gauges. Economics. Plus I have removed obstructions with the Otis. Sometimes carry whole Kit, sometimes just the size for what I'm using. Not associated with Otis, just my experience.
Old December 2, 2002, 01:31 PM   #29
Kobra

I am the same as most of the others - I like them. Bought one on a whim and had since acquired a .355, .40, .410, .429, .45, 12 Ga, 20 ga, .22 rifle, .243, .264 and .30 caliber one.

To clean the feed ramps I run the snake thru the mag well and thru the barrel so it cleans all at once.