The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 10, 2014, 12:27 PM   #1
Kimio

Ruger American rimfire, questions regarding ammo

So the rifle is chambered in 22LR, I know there are typically different types of 22 out there ranging from sub sonic, standard velocity and high velocity rounds.

I was wondering how safe it is to use high velocity rounds in the rifle. Naturally I'd be shooting just about anything I can get a hold of at a reasonable price, but I don't want to go blowing up my rifle by doing something as stupid as loading ammunition into my rifle tat it wasn't designed to handle.
Old December 10, 2014, 12:38 PM   #2
9x19

It will safely handle any .22 Long Rifle load on the market. The same action is used for the .17 & .22 Magnums which operate at a bit higher pressure.
Old December 10, 2014, 03:58 PM   #3
603Country

Just don't try to shoot 22 Mag in it, though I don't think it would fit. I never tried.

I say that because my thought-to-be-knowledgable favorite nephew put a 6.5x55 round in the chamber of his 270 and tried to shoot it. Well...that's just not a bright idea, as I explained to him. So I try not to assume that folks won't do things that most of us wouldn't dream of doing.

It's good that you ask questions.
Old December 11, 2014, 12:00 PM   #4
Kimio

Thanks for the heads up, yeah I like having my face and fingers intact and functional.

I've seen too many pictures and have read too many horror stories about people blowing up their guns. Not a pretty sight, that's for sure.
Old December 11, 2014, 12:17 PM   #5
tahunua001

very safe. Ruger actions are designed to withstand anything that can be stuffed in a 22 casing short of C4 or TNT.