The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 14, 2005, 09:08 PM   #1
walpur6isknight

good folding stock for 870?

i want to put a folder on a 870 marine magnum.
a top folder.
whats the best around?
do the ar15/m16/m4 type stocks for shotgun shave a detachable buttstock?
have had no luck on glocktalk, figured id come over here.
thanks in advance guys.
Old June 15, 2005, 07:32 AM   #2
Tomac

Check out the Knoxx CopStock. Besides a topfolder you also get a significant reduction in perceived recoil.
Tomac
Old June 15, 2005, 12:11 PM   #3
walpur6isknight

copstock

how hard is it to break that thing tomac?
Old June 15, 2005, 12:53 PM   #4
Tomac

IMHO it'd be difficult to break this thing. The entire unit appears to be rugged and quality-made. No fears about the wire stock itself breaking, it's pretty good diameter. I suppose the weak point (if it has one) would be the hinge mechanism but as you can see in the pic it's fairly massive. My cop friend tried it and immediately wanted one on his 870 and he won't trust anything that's not well-made and can't take a certain amount of abuse.
Tomac
Old June 15, 2005, 12:57 PM   #5
walpur6isknight

can you take the folding part off and use it as a pistol grip easily?
just curious
Old June 15, 2005, 02:11 PM   #6
jvlip3

I agree go with the copstock. Avoid Choate top folder and ATI plastic crap. I have a fixed conventional stock on my 500 but that's just me. Buy what works for YOU and don't let anyone tell you you're wrong. Good luck.
Old June 15, 2005, 03:30 PM   #7
walpur6isknight

yeah i like the form of the older top folders stamped "for law enforcement use only"
but i found one, it was 300$ i decided to pass.
i dont want to get a junk folder. esp on a marine magnum. i thought about just putting wood furniture on it and calling it good.
ill have to get a different forend for the copstock too, what about simple wood pistol grips?
any of those available in the aftermarket?
Old June 15, 2005, 06:00 PM   #8
jvlip3

Well, if I had the marine version I'd go all weather and get a plastic conventional stock and fore end. Wood will swell and crack under adverse conditions. My Mossberg 500 is all plastic but blued- I keep an oily rag and a can of Breakfree on me when in the field to stop rust. There is a huge aftermarket for the 870. One of Amercica's favorite shotguns and you can't go wrong with it.
Old June 15, 2005, 06:18 PM   #9
Tomac

AFAIK the folding stock on the CopStock isn't designed for removal so you can use the pistol grip by itself. However, if that's important to you Knoxx makes their BreachersGrip which reduces recoil and appears to be the CopStock minus the folder.
Tomac
Old June 15, 2005, 10:26 PM   #10
rallyhound

walpur6isknight,

I thought the whole idea of a folder was so you can fold it and just use the pistol grip if you want.
I have a comstock folder, it is excellent quality and it reduces recoil so well it like shooting a AK.
I like shooting a 12 bore again. Think of the kick from a gas auto and cut that in half.
Old June 16, 2005, 05:38 AM   #11
jvlip3

The only so called downside I have heard of with the copstock is no sidesaddle or buttstock shell holder can be used. In my opinion I'll take recoil reduction any day. Avoid any shellholder slings and use pouches or pockets. Now you have me thinking about getting one for my gun.