The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 24, 2001, 03:39 PM   #1
ATTICUS

Southern Colorado train excursion

Last year I read an article in Outdoor Life about a hunting trip available in southern Colorado/ northern NM, where you take a train up into the mountains, and they drop you off for a week. There was an option of camping or staying in a cabin/boxcar that they drop off on a side track for you. Sounds like a great time. Has anyone heard of, or taken this trip?
Old October 25, 2001, 09:17 AM   #2
WYO

I recall that there is one narrow gauge train that runs mostly in northern New Mexico and there is the Durango and Silverton narrow gauge that runs from Durango, CO to Silverton, CO. I have not been on the train, but we have made the road trip between those two areas a number of times, and at points the train parallels highway 550. Very pretty area. I had heard that the train drops backpackers off at one of the stops, where they can reboard days later, but I have no first hand knowledge. The url for the train is http://www.durangorailway.com/. I think the N.M. train is the something & Chama railroad. You may be able to find that on the web. Hope this partial information helps.
Old October 25, 2001, 11:47 AM   #3
ATTICUS

Durango and Silverton! That's the one.

From the link you provided- "The outdoor enthusiast can rent the Rail Camp car which is a refurbished recreational box car. The car will be set out for a 5 day wilderness adventure. For more information on these, check out our First Class Excursions or call 1-888-442-4222 for group information."

I'm gonna do that one of thses days. Thanks for the link.
Old October 25, 2001, 08:47 PM   #4
WYO

My pleasure, ATTICUS. I don't know how that would fit into a hunting trip, but it is a great area for a family vacation in August. 4 wheel drive heaven after the snow melts in the high country. Engineer Pass (4WD road) between Silverton and Ouray is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.
Old October 26, 2001, 12:01 PM   #5
JohnDog

The other narrow gauge train in Colorado and New Mexico is the Cumbres and Toltec railroad. It goes up and over the Continental Divide between Antonito CO and Chama NM, through fantastic hunting country.

http://www.cumbrestoltec.com/

In the first scene of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, when young Indy jumps on the zoo train to get away from the bad guys, that is the Cumbres and Toltec train. Take a look at the country the train is going thru - great elk country!

The Durango and Silverton RR also visits spectacular country. The train follows the Animas river canyon thru some of the steepest mountains in Colorado. I've taken a number of trips where you get the train to drop you off and pick you up on the way out, to scramble up some of them fore-mentioned peaks. Not too much hunting potential, as the terrain consists of narrow valleys, and lots of above timberline mountainsides (did I mention steep). Actually, I'll take that back. If you draw a Mountain Goat permit for that area, the Chicago Basin area is fantastic - damn goats are a nuisance up there! Last time I was up there you had to bury your backpack under a rock pile to keep the goats from eating the shoulder straps to get the sweat salt out of them. Only downside is that you would have to pack the goat out to the train - a six mile pack out!

Well have fun - hope this helps - JohnDog
Old October 27, 2001, 09:37 AM   #6
ATTICUS

Got them both bookmarked. Thanks Gents!
Old October 31, 2001, 12:26 PM   #7
ENC

Check out the current issue of Field and Stream There is an article in there That talks about these
Old October 31, 2001, 04:13 PM   #8
ahenry

edit: doesn't really apply