The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 10, 2016, 06:23 PM   #51
Model12Win

Quote:
The first thing I would do is chuck the Wilson mags. Try Milspec mags. I tune all of my 1911's to work with Milspec mags. They are what the gun was designed for. Wilson and all of the other fancy mags don't "fix" the gun, they just hide the problem.

Now, did you have feeding issues before changing the slide stop?
No, for 200 rounds I wasn't experience these problems. I changed the slide stop, which cured the premature slide lock problem, but now this issue happened.

Could the slide lock have done this? I just don't see how, but again I'm pretty dumb with this stuff as is probably obvious.
Old May 10, 2016, 06:26 PM   #52
P71pilot

Keep us updated Model12win,

I just successfully fit a thumb safety to my Springfield 1911A1, as well as swapped some other parts out I wasn't 100% happy with. Now I am aaaalmoat done with it. Happy for now, but I want a black barrel bushing
Old May 10, 2016, 06:43 PM   #53
presspics

Absolutely, the slide stop could cause this problem. Do you have any other mags that you can try? Check the contact point between the slide stop and mag follower. See if there is too much material on the slide stop...

Take pics and post if you can and aren't sure what you are looking for..
Old May 10, 2016, 07:15 PM   #54
Model12Win

How would too much material on the slide stop wreck my feeding lips and cause these kinds of jams I mentioned in my OP?
Old May 10, 2016, 07:39 PM   #55
presspics

It could be as little as a few thousandths. Many slide stops need fitting. The Wilson that I put into a RIA took a bit of fitting.
Old May 10, 2016, 08:03 PM   #56
TunnelRat

Slide stops can impact extraction, especially when it's only the last round that's the problem. In my experience few parts for 1911s are true drop in. Often a little fitting, as presspics mentioned, is needed.
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; May 10, 2016 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old May 10, 2016, 08:19 PM   #57
pistolwretch

"Absolutely, the slide stop could cause this problem."
"Slide stops can definitely impact extraction,"

Not in my experience.

I haven't seen everything though.
I'm not trying to be know-it-all,
just relaying my opinion.
Old May 10, 2016, 08:30 PM   #58
TunnelRat

^ I'm not saying it's common, but when the extraction problem didn't exist before the part swap and the problem only occurs on the last round in the magazine, when the slide stop is being pushed up by the follower, it certainly seems possible.
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 11, 2016, 05:41 AM   #59
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm sorry that your new pistol is being so troublesome. Please keep us posted.
Old May 11, 2016, 08:34 AM   #60
dahermit

I take it that he has sent the gun back to the manufacturer. I suspect the gun will be returned in working order and the cause of the problem may not have been revealed by the maker...just fixed. If anyone here is waiting for closure, I suspect they will be disappointed.
Old May 11, 2016, 10:47 AM   #61
dahermit

Cart before the horse?

Just a thought, I think that the original poster stated that the "premature" slide stop problem manifested itself before the last case jams started happening. However, it is my understanding that having the slide stop locking the slide back when there are still rounds in the magazine is usually caused by the nose of the bullets contacting the slide stop. That makes me suspect that, at some point when he was shooting, he may have had a case jammed into the magazine feed lips and bent them allowing the bullets in the magazine to nose-up and contact the slide stop and causing the perceived problem with premature lock-back. In short, that premature lock-back may have been a red herring whereas the real problem may have been the extractor all along. Just something to consider.
Old May 12, 2016, 11:10 AM   #62
tallball

"See if there is too much material on the slide stop..."

In the paperwork that they sent back with my pistol, this is supposedly what was wrong with it. Plus they did some other stuff, and replaced the original mag for the second time, with an ill-fitting one.

I saved the Federal Express box, in case I have to send it back for the fourth and final time.
Old May 12, 2016, 02:03 PM   #63
Model12Win

That makes me sick to hear that, Ball. I hope I don't have to send mine back that many times.
Old May 12, 2016, 04:20 PM   #64
P71pilot

Model12Win

I hope your rock island pistol is returned working properly and stays that way for years. And this is liable to happen to any pistol of any manufacturer, but it reasons like your experience, that I decided not to get a RIA pistol when I was 1911 shopping about 2 years ago.

Also, I don't like Wilson combat mags. I try to stick to GI spec magazines, the 2 that came with my Springfield have been flawless, and I just bought a Colt 7rd mag that I expect to last me for years. It is my inexperienced opinion that GI style mags and followers work best for all types of ammo in a pistol that is in spec. Plus 7+1 rounds is plenty for me, if I feel I may need more shots I'll carry a spare mag or two.
Old May 12, 2016, 05:31 PM   #65
gyvel

Quote:
Many slide stops need fitting.
Make that: "Many slide stops need fitting that are aftermarket or not OEM."

Or, put another way: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I just don't see the wisdom of adding items of dubious usefulness when stock items work better. It's like putting fender skirts on a farm pickup truck. I mean, do you really need that extended slide release or safety??? Are they going to make you a better shot, or offer some perceived advantage, or do you think they just look "cool."
SIFE
Old May 12, 2016, 06:09 PM   #66
Toney

I've had quite a few premature slide locks with my ria officer. I replaced the spring and plungers with a colt set that didn't really help.

I was thinking being lefthanded my trigger finger knuckle was hitting it.

After reading this thread I got it back out and had a look. The bullet tips cleared until I pushed a round as far foreward as far as it would go, then it really touched and took some effort to put the Rd past the stop.

I got the stone out and fixed it.
Old May 13, 2016, 01:55 AM   #67
Boogershooter

The only problem I have with ria is they don't build a tac ultra in 38 super. I have been in contact with them and it could be possible soon. My wife loves the tac ultra fs in 10mm so much the rest of her guns are getting dusty. If she had the 38 to match she would be in hog heaven.
Old May 13, 2016, 05:11 AM   #68
1969Colt1911

I read only page one of your post, but sounds like you tried changing things to early. When I bought my RIA I fired 120 rounds or so. And it did some of the things like hangups on last round in mag. So I bought another mag and gun was more happy. And I took gun outdoors next day and it was so happy with both mags(3 mags 24rounds). Do anything small man, don't file and change big anything. Just like car maintenance don't swap engine first because light came on, check oil and fuses first.