The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 25, 2015, 05:20 PM   #1
JJ45

Ballistol

I have a feeling this has been asked before but I can't find it. I have a couple questions about Balistol and would appreciate some help.

1. Does it work well as a patch lube for loading patched round balls in long guns? If so, what mix of water to Ballistol do any of you guys prefer?

2. Is it any good for a preservative ( corrosion resistance ) for the short term like for a couple months ?

Thanks, JJ
Old October 25, 2015, 06:16 PM   #2
Pahoo

Ballistol is an excellent product but stinks

Quote:
I have a feeling this has been asked before but I can't find it. I have a couple questions about Balistol and would appreciate some help.
It has but does no harm in revisiting ....

Quote:
1. Does it work well as a patch lube for loading patched round balls in long guns? If so, what mix of water to Ballistol do any of you guys prefer?
A matter of opinion but I know a BuckSkinner that swears by his "spit" ...

Quote:
2. Is it any good for a preservative ( corrosion resistance ) for the short term like for a couple months ?
It can be but there are better products for this application. Just make sure you don't cut too thin and I don't use water. ....

Good choice and;
Be Safe !!!
Old October 25, 2015, 07:42 PM   #3
JJ45

Pahoo, thanks...I am a hunter and the only time I shoot BP arms is to experiment with loads or at game. Since almost all deer hunting here in Pa is during cold weather, especially flintlock season, I don't know if spit is a good idea as it will probably dry out...

I like the idea of Ballistol since it is supposedly bio friendly, non carcinogenic, etc. but if I used it as a corrosion inhibiter I would use it full strength and not mixed with water...I have used many grease/oil preservatives in the past, all were effective... BF CLP was my go to stuff but looking for something not so caustic...just wondered if anyone uses it in that capacity, regularly.

Thanks, again.
Old October 25, 2015, 10:43 PM   #4
BirchOrr

^^^

Ballistol was and is one of my go to gun lubes and preservatives. This week , I took a pistol out of its case after being packed away for a year, and it was perfect. I have had firearms packed away for several years before I ever got them out, and they were pristine. Ballistol never ever gets gummy. I like another one also. It is called gun Zilla and it is made in Michigan. Our troops are using it in the Middle East.

Hope this helps.

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old October 25, 2015, 11:53 PM   #5
rodwhaincamo

I've not tried it as a patch lube yet, but do have some mixed up in a bottle (10:1?). "Moose milk" has been praised a bit on traditional forums as has spit patches.

I use it as a water displacement and short term lube. It's worked great, and my last check of a lubed gun has lasted over a year in humid Texas. It has shown slight rust as early as about 4-5 months though so I check periodically. I wouldn't trust it beyond maybe 6 months at best. Best to check or use something better.

As an aside I've also tried it as a hinder to problems. I had read some used it after use knowing they'd not be able to clean it soon. I brushed the bore and chambers and wild it down with Ballistol and left it in my humid Texas garage for 2 days without any rust. Nice to know if you find yourself without time.
Old October 26, 2015, 09:48 AM   #6
maillemaker

It's an oil, so it will protect against corrosion as a surface barrier.

I don't even bother oiling my BP guns anymore after I finish clean with Balistol.

But I shoot them about once a month, too.

Steve
Old October 26, 2015, 11:37 AM   #7
Model12Win

I have found Ballistol to work well on my '51 Navy Colt. I used it diluted with water (as well as hot water and dish soap) for cleaning after shooting. I also used the Ballistol/water last. When the water dried, it left a nice thin coat of Ballistol. I had no rust or corrosion issues with it.

I am getting back into black powder again after about a year long hiatus, and have a full can of Ballistol ready to go.
Old October 26, 2015, 01:48 PM   #8
rodwhaincamo

The aerosol is nice for the range box, but the bottle is much thicker and goes a long way. Cheaper too.

Ballistol on a Remington base pin will keep it running at the range too.
Old October 27, 2015, 06:21 AM   #9
Doc Hoy

As gene Autry said about Doublemint Gum....

I don't shoot single shot stuff and so I don't have much use for patches...

But as a lube, protectant and release agent I must repeat Gene Autry's words, "I like it."
Old October 27, 2015, 07:43 AM   #10
mapsjanhere

As much as I like Ballistol as a cleaning oil, it's been shown time and time again to be not great as a rust prevention oil. DWJ just run another test, an in a 24h salt water immersion it came out the worst, and that in a magazine where German products normally never lose a comparison test.
Old October 27, 2015, 07:48 AM   #11
AzShooter

When I shot BP I tried everything. Finally found Ballistol and stock with it. It does everything well.

Only problem, it smells like old gym socks. But it's not really bad.
Old October 27, 2015, 08:29 AM   #12
mehavey

IF you are going to use Ballistol as patch lube, I recommend
the same ratio as my use of water/NAPA cutting oil: 7:1

Soak the patch strip; blot completely dry using a rolling pin over
the three layers of paper towel/top & bottom (a couple of times);
store folded up in an Altoids tin box.

FWIW: I'd not rely on Ballistol as a primary metal preservative for
extended periods. Instead use plain old BreakFree or 100% Synthetic
motor oil. (Dry patch-out the barrel before next use as you would in any
normal shooting session)
Old October 27, 2015, 09:20 AM   #13
foolzrushn

Anyone know about this?

I've not used Ballistol yet but want to try it. I have some questions though, because it seems there is conflicting info.

I've heard there is a cancer warning on it, and also that it is not carcinogenic. ??? Is the warning only on the aerosol cans? The website says not to induce vomiting so you don't asperate it. At first I thought it was the aerosol propellent (butane/propane) that they were worried about. Now, not so sure, as I've not had a can to read.

I want to know as the grandkids might be around while cleaning, or I might give some to the son-in-law. If it's just the propellent, then the liquid would be safe, as would the oil residue. Sometimes it's not that easy to wash when out shooting.

Heard it is made in the US, but. I thought it was made in Germany...thus the high cost...$80/gallon...Whew! And that's the cheapest per ounce way to buy! Gonna tell the wife it's perfume so she'll understand. Hope she likes the "socks" flavor.

@ mapsjanhere...DWJ ??

certified 'soap welder'
Old October 27, 2015, 09:26 AM   #14
mehavey

Here's the MSDS for Ballistol.

Your grandmother might have used it for constipation, but that's about all the ill-effect [unless you're constipated of course]
(... unless you live in California, where just living causes cancer. )

postscript: See http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555585 for the rust protection effect of its primary ingredient (mineral oil).
I say again: use a good gun oil, or 100% synth motor oil
Old October 27, 2015, 10:35 AM   #15
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I used it as a patch lube for awhile. Never got use to its stinky smell and it leaves a oily feeling residue which some prefer but I don't. Ballistol is a great barrel cleaner when mixed to its containers written directions. Sadly in this local I seldom see Ballistol liquid or spray on store shelves. But one can purchase it as I did from Midway USA,_ Track of the Wolf,_Amazon _and many other Internet stores.
Old October 27, 2015, 11:16 AM   #16
Pahoo

I'm a believer

Only in the last couple of years and on recommendations in this forum, did I started using Ballistol, on my M/L's. Prior to that, I have gone through practically all BP cleaners and left pure water behind, years ago. I maintain our district's M/L's used for our Hunter Safety classes. When I'm not there for the live fire, I ask the instructors to give the M/L's a good spraying and swabbing of 50/50 mixture, using mineral spirits instead of water. There are times when I don't get the M/L's back, for a couple of days. They come in with a muddy coating of Ballistol and powder residue. Not on single speck of rust. I feel that the Ballistol kills the corrosive effects of the propellants. My shop cleaning is less work and more effective. We usually stop looking when we find something that works well and that's where I am. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 27, 2015, 11:33 AM   #17
rodwhaincamo

I've also read that Ballistol isn't a good long term protectorant, and have seen a couple of times a bit of rust here or there after many months of storage when I haven't been to the range monthly as usual. I check them periodically if not used for months. Usually they are just fine. Were I to store them long term I'd do something else.

I'm sure glad I don't put my guns in salt water!
Old October 27, 2015, 06:12 PM   #18
AKexpat

Quote:
When I shot BP I tried everything. Finally found Ballistol and stock with it. It does everything well.

Only problem, it smells like old gym socks. But it's not really bad.
Sorry, I'm going off topic because I'm an old guy and it reminded me of something that happened years ago.

I worked swing shift and microwaved my meals (usually leftovers). My only co-worker came into the breakroom as I was nuking a Parmesan chicken dinner and thought someone had very bad socks, complaining profusely until I explained, and then he apologized profusely. That was more humorous than all of you could imagine.

I return you now to your regularly scheduled program. Pardon the interference.
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old October 27, 2015, 06:41 PM   #19
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
I've heard there is a cancer warning on it, and also that it is not carcinogenic. ???
Howdy

Where do these rumors come from? Notice what the can says. No Carcinogens. Notice too that it is not healthy to swallow it, no matter what you may have heard on the internet. Look what it says on the back of the can.

I have used Ballistol for many years. I only shoot Black Powder in cartridges these days, so I cannot comment on using it as a patch lube. My normal cleaning routine, after I have cleaned my guns with my favorite water based cleaning solution, is to run a patch soaked with Ballistol down the bore and chambers of a revolver, down the bore of a rifle. Then I follow up with patch only moistened with Ballistol to soak up the excess. I make sure to leave a nice thin coating of Ballistol in the bore and chambers. I also squirt some down inside the mechanism.

Here is what I have learned over the years.

Black Powder fouling is no where near as corrosive as most people think. It was the combination of BP fouling AND corrosive primers that caused most of the corrosion in the past. We don't use corrosive primers anymore, and BP fouling all by itself is not as corrosive as most people think.

Here is another thing I have learned over the years. Yes, BP fouling is hygroscopic, which means it will absorb water vapor from the air. But the trick is, treat it like a sponge. If you saturate BP fouling with oil, it loses its ability to absorb moisture from the air. Just like a sponge that has been saturated with water, the fouling that is saturated with oil cannot absorb any water from the air. My experience is that BP fouling that has been soaked with oil DOES NOT cause corrosion.

I also don't make an effort to remove every last molecule of BP fouling from the bore. I fell for the fiction when I first got involved with BP cartridges that a shiny, new bore would be best because it would be difficult to clean all the fouling out of a pitted old bore. I have lots of old guns with pitted bores now, and I shoot them with Black Powder. After a reasonable effort at cleaning, with several patches of my favorite water based BP fouling solvent I call it quits and coat the bore with Ballistol as I have described above. Yes, there is still tiny amounts of fouling in the thousands of pits of an old pitted bore. Guess What? The Ballistol soaking the fouling in the pits completely prevents any rust from happening. It gets just as humid here in New England as anywhere else.

No, I have not tried testing Ballistol with a salt spray. I don't live near the ocean, and my experience is that Ballistol does a good job of preventing rust. My guns sit all winter in my safe when we are not shooting cowboy. There is never any rust in them when I go to my first match in the spring.

One other thing. In my experience there are better solvents for Smokeless powder than Ballistol. A bunch of years ago I did a test with Hoppes #9 and Ballistol cleaning a 1911 fouled with modern powder. The Hoppes #9 actually cleaned the gun better than Ballistol, it is a stronger solvent and dissolved the fouling better than Ballistol with less elbow grease. For Smokeless I still use Hoppes #9 (because my Dad used it). For BP, I use a water based solvent, it is cheaper than cleaning with straight Ballistol. Then I finish up with Ballistol to prevent rust.

Yes, it is greasy. I wash my hands with soap when I am done to wash away the greasy Ballistol.
Old October 27, 2015, 09:57 PM   #20
Model12Win

I think it's really cool to use Ballistol on firearms.

Let's face it, lead is some nasty stuff. Sure doesn't help that a lot of gun cleaning chemicals aren't so nice to inhale/absorb through skin etc. etc. either.

With my black powder guns, sure I've got to deal with lead but the actual powder residue itself is pretty much harmless. Hell, you can eat a small amount of black powder with no ill effects. In fact, soldiers in days gone buy sprinkled black powder onto their food during dire times when no other seasoning could be had. I've tasted it, and it does give sort of a bite to food. Not ideal, but probably would make a piece of horse meat or ash cake taste a mite better in the field.

I also use natural lube in my BP guns that I make myself, made from just beeswax and sheep's tallow. You could spread that on toast with no ill effects, and yes, I've tasted it too and it's not bad at all!

Then you've got your cleaning products, Ballistol and dish soap. Both not good to eat, but totally harmless and non carcinogenic.

So if you are traditional, BP is perhaps one of the least toxic ways to shoot a firearm, through of course you are still going to have to deal with the lead projectiles and the lead fumes that come of the lead styphnate in the percussion caps.
Old October 27, 2015, 10:29 PM   #21
BirchOrr

Thank You Driftwood and Model 12

Both your posts were excellent! It's nice to see common sense take over from time to time and clear up what could be otherwise labeled as misinformation.

Kindest regards,

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old October 27, 2015, 10:38 PM   #22
44 Dave

Just read the labels on stuff "known to cause cancer in California". That is why I won't live there!
Now bacon is killing all of us, or is it bologna!
Old October 28, 2015, 12:45 AM   #23
rodwhaincamo

I actually like the way Ballistol smells and have been trying to figure out how to incorporate it into my Right Guard.
Old October 28, 2015, 12:46 AM   #24
foolzrushn

Thanks mehavey

for the MSDS sheet.

Others: I don't believe I said it was carcinogenic, just that I had heard ( read) that it was..... and also read that it was not. I don't remember where I read that it was. Probably one of the other forums. At the time I had not seen the MSDS sheet. I didn't think I was spreading misinformation, just asking questions. Looks like I stepped in everyone's favorite juice.

The stuff is rather hard to find, I saw a can at a show, but didn't read the fine print and didn't buy it, because it seems expensive at several dollars per ounce. A bargain at $80 per gallon...whew! You can get some pretty fair whiskey for that price.

"not so sure, as I've not had a can to read"

But when I get my can, I will be sure to read it.

certified 'soap welder'
Old October 28, 2015, 04:59 AM   #25
JJ45

I just thought about this back in the 1700s especially during the French and Indian Wars when functional black powder weapons meant survival both at catching food and to defend against enemies.....I read a couple books on the period and the warfare and revenge were incredibly brutal....

I was thinking there were probably a lot of fouled/rusted bores back then, then I thought probably not because your firearm was so crucial for survival you had to be real concerned about it's condition...

For sure they had to use just water for flushing and probably fat/tallow for preserving but fat can turn rancid after a period....Does anyone know how the frontiersman kept his bore from rusting? ...