The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 28, 2010, 11:40 AM   #1
Mlarkin_09

Eaa Witness 10mm Frame Crack

Just got my new Witness Friday. Took it to the range yesterday and shot one and a half boxes of Hornady 180gr Xtp.(that is just 30 rounds)

The gun was dead accurate and a joy to shoot. Today as I was admiring the weapon, I noticed the frame rails are cracked at the back of the pistol. The left side frame rail is broken OFF! starting at the thumb safety hole and goes all the way to the rear of the pistol. The right side is just starting to crack at the rear of the frame and going forward about an inch and a half.

So after 30 rounds of Hornady 1100 fps mild factory ammo my frame gave up. I had read all of the horror stories of the slide cracking but not any info on the frame having issues so I thought I would share my story.

Not sure weather to call my dealer or the factory tomorrow. Im sure I will try both
Old March 28, 2010, 12:09 PM   #2
vladan

Can you take some pictures of the crack?
Old March 28, 2010, 12:43 PM   #3
tom234

Seems to me that was the failing of the Witness line was the slide cracking not the frame. I decided it was a reason to avoid them.

Last edited by tom234; March 28, 2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old March 28, 2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Mlarkin_09

here are some pictures. Please dont be to harsh I am not good at running a camera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00922#.jpg (220.8 KB, 1357 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00923.JPG (184.6 KB, 1204 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00925.JPG (105.5 KB, 1229 views)
Old March 28, 2010, 01:36 PM   #5
vladan

Damn, this should'd be happening period, not just after 30rounds ... My guess is you got out of specs frame ( too thin frame or the rails cut too deep ...)
Send it back and let us know what the manufacturer said
Old March 28, 2010, 02:40 PM   #6
Giorgio

This is very serious. But can happen for a lack of metal fusion.
35 years ago after a few shots my S&W 60 brand new had a breackage of cylinder-lock. S&W, replaced my revolver for free and from then on I had no more problems.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/2...tingbetter.jpg
Old March 28, 2010, 04:06 PM   #7
Mlarkin_09

When you say serious do you mean I was in danger of a kaboom? Or the slide comming off and hitting me in the head (ouch either way). I figured if gone unnoticed for a while longer it would only have caused a jam. Has any one else seen or heard of this type of failure?
Old March 28, 2010, 05:09 PM   #8
Giorgio

Quote:
When you say serious do you mean I was in danger of a kaboom? Or the slide coming off and hitting me in the head (ouch either way).
Exactly.

Old March 28, 2010, 05:24 PM   #9
passintime

Thats ridiculous. Serious safety concern. Unfortunately, EAA doesn't exactly win awards for customer service. Best of luck.
"You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations — these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit — immortal horrors or everlasting splendors." ~~~CS Lewis
Old March 28, 2010, 05:46 PM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
When you say serious do you mean I was in danger of a kaboom? Or the slide comming off and hitting me in the head (ouch either way).
I don't believe you were in danger from this particular failure.

The slide would have to break in half before the slide could come off the gun to the back.

Even with no rails at all, the front of the slide in conjunction with the barrel and slide stop would prevent the slide from coming off the gun in any direction other than towards the front.

I can't picture in my mind how losing rails would cause a kaboom, but I also can't rule that out. I think it's unlikely.
Quote:
I figured if gone unnoticed for a while longer it would only have caused a jam.
That's my feeling as well.
Old March 28, 2010, 05:57 PM   #11
more forty fives

I read some place that EAA had a problem with the frame.But they found the problem and took care of it.
Old March 28, 2010, 06:02 PM   #12
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
here are some pictures. Please dont be to harsh I am not good at running a camera
Your picture taking skills are quite good. Sorry about your gun. Good luck.
Old March 28, 2010, 06:19 PM   #13
Giorgio

These things simply should not happen.
The weakness of the metal can involve any part of the weapon, if it is born badly. Look at your pic, the metal seems to crumble. I'm impressed.

Old March 28, 2010, 06:34 PM   #14
Elvishead

cheap gun
Old March 28, 2010, 06:39 PM   #15
passintime

Just out of curiosity, did you notice any bits of metal or metal shavings while shooting or cleaning the weapon? That damage just blows my mind.
"You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations — these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit — immortal horrors or everlasting splendors." ~~~CS Lewis
Old March 28, 2010, 07:28 PM   #16
Mlarkin_09

I didn't notice anything until I saw the piece missing today. The piece just broke off cleanly at the range and was lost. No trace of metal shavings or bits.
Old March 28, 2010, 08:19 PM   #17
ReNtaPiG

OOOOUUUUUCCCCHHHH!!!!!!

I hate to be a d@uche but you do get what you pay for.

I learned with a Taurus...you learned with an EAA...no ones perfect

Sorry dude...it sux
Old March 28, 2010, 08:24 PM   #18
oldandslow

ML, 3/29/10

I have two .45 Witnesses in the Wonder finish, one a compact and one a full size. I have had cracks in both pistols occurring in the high 2000 to low 3000 round count. The cracks were in both slides (one crack in each slide) and six cracks in the frames (two in the rear frame rails of the full size pistol and four in the compact). EAA replaced one slide but not the other slide or either of the frames (they had been hard-chromed to minimize the rust I was getting here in the tropics).

So yes, your problem seems somewhat common in both the 10mm and .45 Witness pistols (check the CZ forum website at www.czforumsite.info and use the search feature to look for Witness frame cracks). Your cracking rails does seem more severe and occurred at an earlier round count than most.
I hope EAA treats you right.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old March 28, 2010, 08:27 PM   #19
NoSecondBest

It's not just EEA. I had a brand new Les Behr crack on me. Good thing was that they stood behind it and made it right very quickly. It can happen to even the best and the most expensive.
Old March 28, 2010, 08:35 PM   #20
Barbicatter

I really hate to see this. I looked at a EAA Wittness .45 this weekend. I was impressed with its fit and finish. I compared it to a CZ 97 other than the minor design difference around the muzzle. The two where almost idenitical other than price. I hope EAA takes care of you. I will be watching to see how it turns out. I was considering one these for a range gun. Best of Luck
Old March 28, 2010, 08:59 PM   #21
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
I really hate to see this. I looked at a EAA Wittness .45 this weekend. I was impressed with its fit and finish. I compared it to a CZ 97 other than the minor design difference around the muzzle. The two where almost idenitical other than price.
If you have both guns and shoot both guns, you'll find that the EAA frame is subtly smaller, and the grip itself is noticeably smaller than the CZ-97B. The mags are interchangeable, however. The Safety functions differently, the firing pin block is different, and almost nothing (except the mags) interchange. They just look similar.

I couldn't shoot the 97B comfortably, but the EAA .45 (and I had a 10mm top end for it, too), was not a problem -- the grip on the EAA was smaller.

Every gun maker will have a problem, from time to time. I would expect EAA to make this problem good.
Old March 28, 2010, 09:55 PM   #22
SQUAREKNOT

I work with steel and they should have seen the problem by looking at the shavings from the machining. That steel was a very bad lot-lucky for you as the problem was serious enough to show up fast. I suspect you will be told to ship it to the factory ASAP and you will get a brand new one and some freebee's thrown in for all your trouble. I pity the guy responsible.
Look for a major recall coming
Old March 29, 2010, 02:43 AM   #23
scottperk

The Italian firm Tangoglio that makes the EAA Witness pistols
normally has had a pretty good reputation
in Europe and certainly some Italians can make some great stuff.
I dont know what to think about their reputation earned over
the last few years. I have been drooling over their 15 round
EAA 10mm for a year or two and the ability to swap out top
ends for different calibers but I have been afraid to make
the purchase fearing costly problems.

I think one real solution would be to have a dedicated EAA
forum someplace so that communications could be enhanced
but I have not been able to find a forum anywhere specializing
in their guns.

BTW, the close up pics were superb... like you were a pro !
Can you show us a photo of the whole gun ?.

here is a picture of the gun from their website, Is this
the exact same model as your gun ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ++Website full size Steel med.jpg (59.5 KB, 283 views)

Last edited by scottperk; March 29, 2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old March 29, 2010, 10:45 AM   #24
Mlarkin_09

I don't have a picture of the whole gun. But it is the same one that you posted a picture of.
I sent the weapon back today and they should receive it tomorrow. I will let you guys know more when I know more.
Old March 29, 2010, 08:10 PM   #25
EnoughGUN

I have the Witness Limited in 9mm and love it although It has barely 100 rounds through it. I bought mine last year and hope it is not from the same batch although I am not sure the frame is the same as this gun.
I will say one thing though about the EAA product. The fact a failure like this is so interesting because of its rarity speaks volumes about the gun. I see all sorts of threads on problems with handguns all of which are considered (and are) amazingly reliable yet rarely see one on the EAA product.