The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 6, 2010, 06:47 PM   #1
browntailguy

M1 Garand woth trip to Camp Perry?

I really want an M1 garand especially before they are gone. My question is: Is it worth it to take a trip up to Camp Perry and look through the racks of guns and pick one out or is ordering one from the CMP website and having them pick it out for me just as good?

I don't have any experience with the M1 but own about 50 other guns so I like to shoot. I plan on using it out at the range for fun and not competitively.

I live in Louisville so I am kind of in between both the Camp Perry and Anniston stores.

Thanks in advance
Old January 7, 2010, 02:49 PM   #2
leadhead2

I've been there a couple of times. Once for a garand and once for a
carbine. There's nothing like looking them over and picking one out
yourself. You'll find the staff is very friendly and will help you pick
if your not sure what your looking at. I say. go for it.
Denny
Old January 7, 2010, 03:38 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

When I was there the staff was way too busy to help me out much. There were a few old guys sitting around BSing that gave me some advice.

I was after a ?rack? rifle, so I didn't worry about it much.
The CMP is a good deal, but these aren't the CMP rifles of the 80s and 90s, at least when it comes to Garands. If you pay for a grade don't expect to get a rifle that is really a grade or two higher.
They had just received some carbine returns from Korea when i was there and you could get a VERY nice carbine for $500. I almost ditched the Garand idea and went with a carbine instead.

It was an interesting visit, but I was in Toledo visiting family, so it wasn't too far. If I was traveling far I would try to get there during the match in the summer to check out all the additional vendors.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; January 7, 2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old January 7, 2010, 03:49 PM   #4
Hardcase

Since I live in Idaho and have pretty much no chance of visiting anywhere in Ohio in the near future, it's easy for me to say that if I lived in Louisville, I'd make up any kind of excuse to head over to Camp Perry.

I'm with Johnwilliamson that going during a match would be a kick in the pants. And probably a heavy shot to the checkbook.
Old January 10, 2010, 09:29 AM   #5
Chris_B

Nice thing about M1s is that they are a really known quantity. get a good book on them and you'll know what you're looking at when you get to Anniston
Old January 10, 2010, 10:18 AM   #6
Avenger

I've always driven up for mine. Bring muzzle and throat gauges if you have them, I pulled a .75 muzzle/2 throat from the RACK grades last time. Stock looked like it had been whipped with chains though

There are some other things in the area worth checking out too. Camp Perry has a little display area with some armor, and there are a TON of good restaurants in Port Clinton/Marblehead. There's good fishing, and Cedar Point is somewhat close too.
Old January 10, 2010, 10:47 AM   #7
m1forme

It depends what you want. Go to the CMP website and see what's available. If I wanted a rack or field grade, you can't beat picking it out yourself. If you want a service grade, there are none currently in the store, you have to mail order it. They might be getting some in this month or next. It's nice to visit the store and see what else they have, carbines, 22's , accessories etc. If you can make the trip, go for it. Just check the web site to see whats available. Make sure you check the CMPforum to see what others are saying.
Old January 10, 2010, 11:00 AM   #8
Forty.Five

I trusted CMP and got a beautiful service grade M1 that was in better condition than I thought It would be. If you don't want to drive to Camp Perry, I would trust CMP to choose a good one for you.
Old January 17, 2010, 11:54 AM   #9
Orlando

Rack Grades are mostlty canidates for a rebarrel as are alot of the Field Grades. I would never mail order either one unless you are planning to rebarrel.
If going to one of the stores it is very possible to handpick a good Field Or Rack Grade
CMP didnt get any of their Carbines or Garands from Korea.
Its always worth a trip to one of the stores if at all possible
The latest first batch or Carbines were from Italy now from Greece