The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 26, 2005, 02:08 AM   #1
azmax

Not Good For Our Image

SEMINOLE, Fla. — An Illinois man was arrested after trying to steal a weapon from a gun shop so he could "take some action and rescue Terri Schiavo (search)," authorities said.

Michael W. Mitchell (search), of Rockford, Ill., entered Randall's Firearms Inc. in Seminole just before 6 p.m. Thursday with a box cutter and tried to steal a gun, said Marianne Pasha, a spokeswoman for the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office.

Mitchell, 50, told deputies he wanted to "take some action and rescue Terri Schiavo" after he visited the Pinellas Park (search) hospice where she lives, Pasha said.

The feeding tube that has kept Schiavo alive for more than a decade was removed March 18 over objections from her parents. Schiavo's husband has said his wife would not want to be kept alive artificially.

Doctors have said she would probably die within a week or two of the tube being pulled.

Randy McKenzie, the owner of Randall's Firearms, said Mitchell pulled out the box cutter and broke the glass on a couple of display cases.

"He told me if I wasn't on Terri's side then I wasn't on God's side, either," McKenzie told The Associated Press.

McKenzie said he then pointed his own gun at Mitchell and ordered him to lie on the ground. But Mitchell fled out the store's back door before police arrived, he said.

Mitchell was later arrested in a parking lot and was scheduled to appear in court Friday. He was being held on $125,000 bond on charges of attempted armed robbery, aggravated assault and criminal mischief, officials said.

It was not known if he had a lawyer.

Seminole is about 5 miles west of Pinellas Park.
Old March 26, 2005, 03:38 AM   #2
SnWnMe

How does this tarnish "our" image?
Old March 26, 2005, 05:14 AM   #3
Sir William

The media is creating an event. The insane flock to events like moths to a flame. I knew the nuts were going to show up. King, OJ, Jackson trials are/were events. More of the same, different event.
Old March 26, 2005, 07:36 AM   #4
N.H. Yankee

If he were a gun owner he wouldnt have had to try to steal one, but of course the anti media will stoke this for all its worth most likely.
Old March 26, 2005, 11:25 AM   #5
IZinterrogator

Quote:
If he were a gun owner he wouldnt have had to try to steal one, but of course the anti media will stoke this for all its worth most likely.
+1

BTW, what kind of idiot tries to rob a gun store during business hours with a boxcutter? Didn't he know what kind of people work at/ frequent gun stores? You know, like CCW holders?
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams

Last edited by IZinterrogator; March 26, 2005 at 01:35 PM.
Old March 26, 2005, 11:48 AM   #6
w4klr

Another classic example of bringing a knife to a gunfight
Old March 26, 2005, 11:55 AM   #7
USP45usp

I don't know how the media could say that it was a "gun nut" owner. First, the guy was/is from Il. Either didn't have a FOID card so couldn't buy a gun, can't buy a gun (from his actions, I think that this is the one), or lived in Chicago where he couldn't have a gun.

Second, trying to steal a gun? I thought, via the media and the brady/vpc bunch, that he could have just walked into a gun show or gotten an assault weapon that flowed in the streets. Something sounds fishy about what the brady/vpc/media is saying about that *hmmmm*.

Hey, I have my thoughts on what is going on with Teri, and I figure that God will be the one to pass judgement on the judge(s) and on her "husband" as well as the punishment.

Wayne

*Just noticed something, this could get OT very quickly just on the case alone. And, it could get emotional due to everyone has their thoughts on the matter. Lets take care and not go down that road .
Old March 26, 2005, 11:59 AM   #8
jefnvk

All I see here is a defensive gun use, which according to leftists, never happens.
Old March 26, 2005, 02:17 PM   #9
azmax

Quote:
How does this tarnish "our" image?
Well, because there are plenty of antis and people who just dont any better who will associate this idiot with us , although we are not even close to being the same type of person , I like to think of us as law abiding qaulity citizeans who contribute much to the community that we live. We happen to choose to protect ourselves and take RESPONSABILITY for our own actions if something bad were to happen to us or our families. All these people see is the affiliation w guns. Some people I know hear guns and they automatically think trouble. For starters, I would hope none us would rob anything no less a gun store w a box cutter, give me break! I mean its pretty obvious that the media is portraying the protesters as pro life right wing "nuts" who like Guns, religion etc, especially the alphabet channels and cnn.