The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 31, 2002, 06:52 AM   #1
swatman

Finally went and did it!

Finally got a Thompson Center off a friend of mine after debating for quite some time. I really like the way this rifle shoots. I am new to black powder but it is alot more fun than I thought it would be
This gun is a .45 caliber, what effective range do I have for deer? Some people have told me it should be good out to 100 yards. What say some of you experienced BP shooters?

www.humanityonhold.com/intifada.html
Old July 31, 2002, 10:29 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Never hunted deer w/blackpowder. However, if the barrel permits it, use the Maxi-ball. Heavy metals are your friend and use your friend in hunting. It'll give you longer reach and more "umph."
Old July 31, 2002, 02:53 PM   #3
swatman

Thanks. Can you also recommend a certain brand name powder? I am new at this like I said. I am sure some powders are better than others.

Old July 31, 2002, 03:11 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I have Goex but others like Elephant and some prefer that Chinese powder. The more modern crowd likes Pyrodex or Clean-Shot. I've got 2 lbs of the latter, but haven't tried it yet.

I'm old fashion and I like the smell of blackpowder. I can't bring myself to put Pyrodex into my guns. Not that I won't and if there's nothing else, I'd gladly do it. But given the choice, I like rotten eggs (blackpowder) over dirty socks (pyrodex). Guess I should have been born a century earlier.
Old July 31, 2002, 03:11 PM   #5
Alex Johnson

Basically you have two options for powder to use in your new rifle. Either blackpowder, or a blackpowder substitute. Real black powder is available in several different grades 1fg (very course) 2fg (finer) 3fg (really fine) 4fg (super fine). Generally the courser grade like 1fg is used for shotguns, cannons, and large bore rifles or muskets. 2fg is probably the best all around choice for rifles and is the grade I tend to use the most. I've used 2fg powder in rifles from 45-58 caliber and also in my muzzleloading shotguns in 10-12 guage. Some people use 3fg in rifles up to 45 caliber, but I tend to find that the finer grades of powder are best used for pistol and small bore rifles like 32-36 caliber, though I can't see where using sensible charges of the finer 3fg would cause any harm in your rifle. What the finer grades do is raise pressure levels which also generally speaking, increases velocity. 4fg powders are pretty much reserved for priming flintlocks or small bore pistols.

As far as black powder substitutes there are now several very good ones available. Pyrodex is the most common the grades I use the most are RS and P. RS is the 2fg version and P is the 3fg. Other substitutes includeHogdens 777 and also a few others such as Black Canyon and Clean Shot. Some of these powders are advertised as non-corrosive and non-fowling. I can't say as I have had much experience with these. I've used Hogdens 777 and it is clean burning but it is still corrosive, though it's pretty simple to clean up. I'd say whatever powder you elect to use it's always a good idea to clean the gun immediately after your shooting session is over otherwise you will likely have problems.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old July 31, 2002, 04:03 PM   #6
swatman

Wow thanks Alex! I understand that for the flash pan.the powder should be finer than what goes into the bore.
I appreciate all the info
Thanks everyone so far