The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 3, 2016, 08:51 PM   #1
Prof Young

More on finger placement and trigger control . . .

So I've been working on pulling the trigger straight back. Have consistently been shooting to the left of center.

I've tried putting the tip of my finger on the trigger instead of the first "padded part." I had some success with a more straight pull, and the shots moved back toward center but were still a bit left.

Today I tried over grabbing the trigger. Got passed the first knuckle and a bit on to the second "padded part" of my finger. When I concentrated, I got on center and even to the right of center.

This all was shooting my sig p 238 and my beretta 92fs.

I think we all know that the bottom line is a "straight back" trigger pull (squeeze) and how we achieve that varies with as much variety as there are shooters and guns.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old May 3, 2016, 11:12 PM   #2
Radny97

Two questions for some diagnosis of the problem, then a comment.
First, how big are your hands? From what you are saying, sounds like you have big hands and trigger reach is never a real issue for you. That will mean that your grip is going to need to make some minor adjustments in order to get the right trigger control and avoid milking.
Second, how much pressure to the grip are you applying with your support hand? It should be the majority of the pressure, thereby allowing your dominate hand to better finesse the trigger. This might explain some of the left of center shots.
Here's the comment. Using the pad of the second distal joint of your index finger to apply pressure to the trigger might produce comfortable shooting, will exert greater leverage on the trigger, making it feel subjectively lighter, and can even be reliable and accurate in a sterile, very slow fire shooting range type practice session. However, when you up the speed of your shots to self defense or competition type speeds, it will result in less consistent trigger control and wider patterns. Using the pad of your first distal joint of the index finger may feel awkward at first (just like the first time my friend showed me the proper way to grip a golf club) but with practice it will come to feel very natural and effective.
Old May 4, 2016, 08:12 PM   #3
Prof Young

Thanks . . .

Thanks Radny. Lots to absorb here. Yes I do have big hands if glove size is any thing to go by. And of course the size of the grip is different between my Sig p238, a double stack beretta, a cowboy gun, and a 1911.

You thoughts on support hand placement and use are something I need to learn more about.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old May 4, 2016, 10:11 PM   #4
Pep in CA

As a new shooter, I had similar problems with placement of my trigger finger. My trainer taught me to use the "first padded part" but near the first joint. Trying to do that, I couldn't get a solid hold of my pistol.

Finally I changed strategies. I practiced getting a good firm hold of my pistol and let my trigger finger go where it may. This has helped my shooting a great deal.

So I think you're right. There is no right placement of the trigger finger. Do what works best for you.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:53 PM   #5
Rob228

Brian Zins actually recommends using the first knuckle, as there isn't any fat or muscle that will move unpredictably during your trigger squeeze. I still use the first pad, but he's won more bulls-eye than just about anyone else.

http://www.brianzins.com/2010/03/12/technique/
Old May 5, 2016, 01:00 PM   #6
str8tshot

Pat Mac recommends getting a lot of finger in there. He has a YT video out there explaining it. All hands are different do what works for you.
Old May 7, 2016, 07:34 AM   #7
spacecoast

If Brian Zins says to do it, then it's a pretty good bet. That joint between the pads is where I locate the trigger (with average sized hands).
Old May 7, 2016, 03:38 PM   #8
pnac

Look at your finger as you bend it, like you're squeezing the trigger. You may see more "lateral" movement toward the tip of the finger, less close to the joint, or vice versa, depending on how forward the trigger finger is in relation to the trigger.
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old May 7, 2016, 05:59 PM   #9
boatdoc173

I have this issue sometimes. It IS finger placement with me for sure.

I try to use the area below where the fingrnail curves into the side of your finger(1/3 of the way back from the finger tip) and sometimes I go as far back as the distal finger pad. Maybe for a DA revolver a bit more.

Right now I am 1" left of poa with a new 1911 commander sized with an alloy frame( these are my biggest challenge-a 9mm from a very good builder). I have to work on EXACT finger placement or I shoot a bit left. It is ME not the gun. Some days I am better than others.Lately I am a bit left

I LOVE a challenge--kind of

each gun is different so it takes a few shots to get the hang of where the best finger placement is with each-- AH another challenge--they just keep coming