The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 5, 2015, 10:56 AM   #1
stonewall50

Grip safety Stuck

So I've cleaned my xd subcompact 9mm and I think something is stopping my grip safety from spring back to the safe position (or vice versa). It goes in and out, but it just freezes where you push it too. Anyone have ideas on this?

And does anyone have any idea on how much I should expect to be charged to get a smith to look at it? I plan on calling around it seems like $50 is the base charge to break it down. Is that a rip off?
Old October 5, 2015, 11:04 AM   #2
9x18_Walther

I don't own any Springfield XD line products, but looking at a schematic I'd wager that the grip safety spring may have snapped.

When you depress the safety is there any resistance? or does it just flop around? There was once a post I read about how grit had seized up the grip safety.

Regardless, if you are not comfortable with the detail strip process (nor am I ), Springfield does indeed have a lifetime warranty. No need to spend any money.

Last edited by 9x18_Walther; October 5, 2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old October 5, 2015, 11:08 AM   #3
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x18_Walther View Post
I don't own any Springfield XD line products, but looking at a schematic I'd wager that the grip safety spring may have snapped.

Regardless, if you are not comfortable with the detail strip process (nor am I ), Springfield does indeed have a lifetime warranty. No need to spend any money.

Well I purchased this from a cousin. Do you think that matters? I suppose I have a lot of reading to do.
Old October 5, 2015, 11:10 AM   #4
9x18_Walther

Quote:
Well I purchased this from a cousin. Do you think that matters? I suppose I have a lot of reading to do.
I edited my post after your response, but does the grip safety feel like there is a spring behind it and it seizes up when pushed in or does it just flop back and forth?
Old October 5, 2015, 11:32 AM   #5
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x18_Walther View Post
I edited my post after your response, but does the grip safety feel like there is a spring behind it and it seizes up when pushed in or does it just flop back and forth?

Feels like a spring behind it. I took your advice though and called Springfield and I am getting it shipped. They didn't seem to care that it was purchased second hand. Just ship it and they will inspect it.
Old October 5, 2015, 11:53 AM   #6
9x18_Walther

Quote:
Feels like a spring behind it. I took your advice though and called Springfield and I am getting it shipped. They didn't seem to care that it was purchased second hand. Just ship it and they will inspect it.
Springfield is top notch in regards to their warranty. They'll look over and replace other components as necessary.

Some folks will tell you that it is quicker to perform a detail strip to fix the problem. There is nothing wrong with stripping the pistol beyond a field strip yourself, but you should consult a lot of resources before continuing. You don't want to have to visit a gunsmith with a bag of components if you can help it.

As for a gunsmith, you really need to find a Springfield qualified gunsmith for future issues. Ironically, I've read about grip safeties that didn't work on the XD line of pistols because the gunsmith didn't re-install the components properly.

You should probably join a Springfield forum or two and locate some quality Springfield armorers around you.
Old October 5, 2015, 12:29 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

Sounds like the grip safety spring is broken or just displaced. This'll help.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/wp...3/XDManual.pdf
Old October 5, 2015, 10:06 PM   #8
stonewall50

Grip safety Stuck

Thank you guys. Read your stuff. Took your advice. Shipping the gun the second I get off work Thursday
Old October 5, 2015, 10:49 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am still puzzled over why purchasing a gun from a cousin could cause the spring to break. Is that common? What about cousins by marriage? Or Kirk Cousins?

Jim
Old October 6, 2015, 01:46 PM   #10
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K View Post
I am still puzzled over why purchasing a gun from a cousin could cause the spring to break. Is that common? What about cousins by marriage? Or Kirk Cousins?

Jim

Lol. Just about warranties. I work for a large corporation and I know they can be a pain when your products stops working and you bought it second hand.