The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 26, 2013, 05:56 PM   #51
csmsss

Others can do as they wish, but I for one will stay with my trusted carry piece. I will never need to worry about where the safety is or isn't, whether it has a long or short slack pickup on the trigger, or how much pressure to apply to the trigger to make it go bang. The sights will always be exactly where I expect them to be, and I will never have to adjust my grip from firearm to firearm.
Old August 27, 2013, 04:56 AM   #52
daddyo

Quote:
Others can do as they wish, but I for one will stay with my trusted carry piece. I will never need to worry about where the safety is or isn't, whether it has a long or short slack pickup on the trigger, or how much pressure to apply to the trigger to make it go bang. The sights will always be exactly where I expect them to be, and I will never have to adjust my grip from firearm to firearm.
Seems so much more sensible than satisfying the urge to carry all those lonely beauties in the safe.
Old August 27, 2013, 01:45 PM   #53
jmr40

As long as you don't activate the safety on a DA semi and only use it as a decocker there is no issue here. Each gun will work exactly the same when drawn. If you are used to flipping the safety off on a 1911 it won't hurt a thing if you go through the same motions and it not be there. The DA pistol and revolver are going to work exactly the same.

I used to worry about such things, but the older I get, and the more I have shot I've found it to be far less of a concern than I used to believe.
Old August 27, 2013, 03:12 PM   #54
daddyo

Quote:
As long as you don't activate the safety on a DA semi and only use it as a decocker there is no issue here. Each gun will work exactly the same when drawn. If you are used to flipping the safety off on a 1911 it won't hurt a thing if you go through the same motions and it not be there. The DA pistol and revolver are going to work exactly the same.

I used to worry about such things, but the older I get, and the more I have shot I've found it to be far less of a concern than I used to believe.
I know a guy who carried DA Revolvers for nearly 2 decades. He had recently changed to the 1911 when he was forced to draw and fire on an armed robber as the robber swung around trying to level his gun on him. My friends first and only shot hit the ground between the two men and went through the robbers calf. He instantly dropped his gun and ran.

Now one could say that my friend just missed low. I say he reverted back to his DA revolvers trigger under that stress. Seems as if he likely began to pull on that long, hard, DA revolver trigger only to be holding a short, light, SA 1911 trigger. He says he doesn't know these days although I'd swear he told me years ago that he did just that.

So in this case his change didn't matter, he won. If the bad guy had chosen to fight back the ending could be much different because of that premature shot. Small little detail yet you can see the potential.
Old August 27, 2013, 03:23 PM   #55
Dragline45

Quote:
I know a guy who carried DA Revolvers for nearly 2 decades. He had recently changed to the 1911 when he was forced to draw and fire on an armed robber as the robber swung around trying to level his gun on him. My friends first and only shot hit the ground between the two men and went through the robbers calf. He instantly dropped his gun and ran.

Now one could say that my friend just missed low. I say he reverted back to his DA revolvers trigger under that stress. Seems as if he likely began to pull on that long, hard, DA revolver trigger only to be holding a short, light, SA 1911 trigger. He says he doesn't know these days although I'd swear he told me years ago that he did just that.
I don't see how if he was carrying a DA revolver vs the 1911 the situation would have played out any differently? What this story shows is your friend has bad trigger control and lacks proper training. By your logic you are saying your friend, if he was indeed carrying the DA revolver, would have started pulling on the trigger before his sights were on target. Whether he was using a DA revolver or a 1911 he would have put a shot in the ground either way. The problem with your conclusion is that is entirely based on speculation.

Even though I am used to shooting DA/SA pistols as both my carry and home defense pistols are such, my most shot gun is my Ruger 22/45 which has a SA trigger. I have yet to prematurely fire a round because I am used to a longer trigger pull, and that gun probably has over 10,000 rounds through it.

I am going to revert back to my example of driving a car with a manual vs automatic transmission. There was a time when I drove my manual truck just as often as my girlfriends automatic transmission sedan. Driving on the road can be a high stress situation where you often need to react quickly. Never once when driving did I mistake one for the other.

Last edited by Dragline45; August 27, 2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old August 27, 2013, 06:51 PM   #56
daddyo

Quote:
By your logic you are saying your friend, if he was indeed carrying the DA revolver, would have started pulling on the trigger before his sights were on target.
Yes! Thats exactely what I do as well. As my front sight is making its way to the COM, I begin to take up the slack on the trigger. The triggers break should coincide with the sights entering that COM zone.

If I wait to begin the trigger pull until the sights are fixed on the COM, I needlessly lose precious 10th's of a second.

My friend is trained the similarly. We have discussed this before.
Old August 27, 2013, 09:04 PM   #57
jimbob86

My $.02, and worth every penny you paid for it:

Muscle memory is expensive to cultivate, in terms of both time and money ...... I am a man with very limited amounts of both.

I'll not jack with what I've spent so much to achieve.

One system, in one location. If the flag ever flies, I will revert to my training .... there will be no confusion, just action, and it will be the same action I have practiced tens of thousands of times.

YMMV. It's your car-see to it.
Old August 27, 2013, 09:17 PM   #58
Tactical Jackalope

Agreed 100% with Jim Bob....

I have my muscle memory tuned to Glock/M&P and SIG beforehand..I took a class with a 1911 almost a year ago for giggles and under that little stress that external safety wasn't doing me any good because I wasn't used to it. Had the .45 ammo already, so grabbed my Glock 21 and continued.
Old August 27, 2013, 09:38 PM   #59
jimbob86

Quote:
Agreed 100% with Jim Bob....
Gosh, everybody's so agreeable lately ...... that's like the third time in 48 hours somebody has "Agreed 100% with Jim Bob...."

.... and it's just jimbob...... Proper nouns are capitalized...... I ain't exactly proper......

The screen name comes from a nickname I had in the Army many moons ago..... and it was often used as a verb- to "jimbob" something was to get it done, albeit not in the prescibed "Army Way" ("There's a Right Way, a Wrong Way, and the Army Way") ..... often involving various amounts of baling wire (the core to concertina wire, actually- great stuff, that), para-cord, 100 mileanhour tape, creative accounting and paperwork ....... not proper, but functional ......
Old August 27, 2013, 09:58 PM   #60
Tactical Jackalope

I digress, I agree 95% with jimbob.
Old August 28, 2013, 03:43 AM   #61
FM12

Sometimes I change in the middle of the day. maybe several times. No big whoop for me.
Usually arm myself with whatever piece I see first.
YMMV of course.
Old August 28, 2013, 11:18 AM   #62
Dragline45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragline45
By your logic you are saying your friend, if he was indeed carrying the DA revolver, would have started pulling on the trigger before his sights were on target.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyo
Yes! Thats exactely what I do as well. As my front sight is making its way to the COM, I begin to take up the slack on the trigger. The triggers break should coincide with the sights entering that COM zone.
That goes against everything I have ever been taught and seems like the perfect recipe for a negligent discharge. Not sure who taught you this, but it is very unsafe.

Quote:
My friend is trained the similarly. We have discussed this before.
And that is why your friend negligently and prematurely put a round into the ground instead of on target. That right there should have been the first inclination that it is poor practice to do so.

Last edited by Dragline45; August 28, 2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old August 28, 2013, 01:16 PM   #63
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

It's a lot easier to show than explain, but with a good four count draw and/or a punch or press out, that's a very effective way of staging the trigger. With those methods, the gun is aligned with the target from position two till position four. If your drawstroke is the old "swoop" from the top of the holster, I agree that your finger should be off the trigger till the sights are on the target.
Old September 2, 2013, 03:51 PM   #64
daddyo

Quote:
That goes against everything I have ever been taught and seems like the perfect recipe for a negligent discharge. Not sure who taught you this, but it is very unsafe.
If my intent is to open fire on the object I am drawing on, its not a ND its a miss. Don't remember who taught it or how I began using the method but it is effective and to date there have been no premature discharges either in practice or competition.

Quote:
And that is why your friend negligently and prematurely put a round into the ground instead of on target. That right there should have been the first inclination that it is poor practice to do so.
The poor practice is to carry a firearm that you are not extensively trained in its use and who's trigger pull and weight is not what your subconscious will apply in a life or death struggle.

My friend was facing a man with a gun. A man who was spinning around in an appearent attempt to level his gun on him. You don't think 10'ths matter, try a one on one with an armed gunman. You will do alot at the subconscious level, autopilot so to speak. This means that the ability you have with 7 different guns will likely disappear under life and death pressures. As your subconscious kicks in to keep you breathing, it will revert to what it knows the best. Thats what happened to my friend. I have no reason to believe that you or I will be special and not have this happen to us as well.
Old September 6, 2013, 08:42 AM   #65
daddyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE

Look and see why this guy shot himself. If different holsters can cause trouble in a time of very low stress imagine different guns and triggers in a time of extreme stress.
Old December 20, 2013, 11:30 AM   #66
Jaykwish

I switch between my 1911 and glock 27 every couple weeks just for something new but I carry them in the same brand of holster in the same spot. As everyone knows you can tell the difference in iwb carry with a 1911 and any glock so I always am aware of whats on my hip and I train drawing and firing at the range monthly with both guns. When I was in the military we trained with a ton of different firearms and equipment and with enough training your muscle memory starts to take over and you don't really even have to think about the processes of the task your doing it just happens.
Old December 23, 2013, 08:27 AM   #67
Ibmikey

I just love to get old topics started once again.....my only response to the original post is: If you are carrying concealed then No One should know what your carry weapon is from day to day. The idea is concealed carry and the bad guy should be the first to realize you aren't just another sheep.
Old December 25, 2013, 06:36 PM   #68
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
The idea is concealed carry
True. But I've recently begun to rethink the stuff I've gathered over the years. Most of them are safe queens, and now I'm wondering why?

The guns I currently carry are DA and I always carry them in open top, OWB holsters.

But I've got some guns that have never been fired. What's the purpose?

I've got a Jim Clark built 1911. I mean, this was done by the original Jim Clark when he was alive and well in Keithville, LA. I bought it in 1976 and it's maybe got less than 1000 rounds through it.

I've got a Gold Cup with less than that. For examples.

I think I'm going to start carrying these other guns as well. But obviously carrying a Clarkerized Colt 1911, one brings into action differently than a Ruger DA only SP101 revolver.

Hence, the question on my post.

Thanx for the responses.
Old January 4, 2014, 10:51 AM   #69
camsdaddy

I am trying to narrow down my EDC to one gun. I have recently narrowed them down to 9mm Glocks 26,19,17. I carry the 17 most days and generally carry either of the three in the same position. I was carrying revolvers but the weight became an issue. I then rotated between revolvers and semi. There are several who compare switching platforms to driving a manual shift car. I know there are times I try to press the clutch in my wifes car only to realize its not my jeep.