The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 25, 2013, 03:09 PM   #1
sirdiealot

prob reloading

got a question on using some 45acp that I reloaded. when setting up the progressive loader I used the wrong disk for the powder drop. im using a lee pro 1000. I put in the .40 disk loading 200 grain lead bullets using alliant red dot powder. not sure how I misread but I did. I should have used the .53 I made about 50 shells before I caught my mistake. are these gonna be safe to shoot out of my 1911 as they are short of the correct powder.

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old April 25, 2013, 03:13 PM   #2
M3mh0g

prob reloading

I'm not sure about reddot but my range load for .40 and .45 is 5.0 gr of W231/HP-38. I'd say measure on a scale the amount of powder your disk is dumping and cross reference that back to your book load data, if it is less than max and above min your probably ok if not then pull em.
Old April 25, 2013, 03:19 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

Unless you can give a round about weight of what the cavity is dropping it would be hard to say. Going with less than the published starting load data with fast burning powders is a disaster waiting to happen. If you do not have a scale. Buy one. If you do not have at least one reloading guide book buy one, or go to a library to check one out.

Now I also need to add. Red Dot meters very poorly. I would advise weighing each charge. Yes it is slow, you will get way better ammo. I load with it right now due to the shortage. Now weighing charges, and going by volume the rounds I loaded were safe, though they were erratic.

The rounds you loaded if they do not fall into safe charge weights that are between the starting, and max published loads then either pull the bullets, dump the powder back into the hopper, or just toss them out.

Last, a very important tid bit.

When in doubt. Do not do it.
Old April 25, 2013, 03:26 PM   #4
sirdiealot

i figured that would prob be the replies lol. so i ordered a bullet puller today from amazon. had a bout 10 rds i needed to pull anyway as during set up there were several attempts to get it adjusted correctly. the damn primer wasn't feeding correctly and getting bullet seat correct.

on different subject how in the hell do i load small primer 45acp with this set up.
for the small primer brass i have i went and ordered a lee autoprime but the 45acp bullet holder will not fit into the holder. did i get a bad one or do they not work for 45acp

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old April 25, 2013, 03:40 PM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

If you use the hand primer the shell holder for .45 ACP will fit the small primer ram/tray. If you are using a progressive press then you will either have to separate your small primer brass. Then set up for small primers, or hand prime with the Auto Prime. The weakest link on the Lee progressive press is the primer feed. I know two people that use them. Both size/deprime, and prime off of the press. They use a single stage to size/deprime, and hand priming tool to prime with. It will run much smoother that way.

Note I use a turret press. I have heard too many complaints about the Lee progressives. I loaded singe stage for nearly 5 years before I bought a turret press.