The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 4, 2014, 05:11 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Why the Redfield Revenge hate?
Because they aren't worth the price.
It's that simple.

The Revolution line is much better, but essentially the same price.
Why buy a lower quality, IMPORT scope (Revenge) when you can get a better, AMERICAN MADE scope (Revolution) from the same company, for the same price?
Old November 4, 2014, 08:24 PM   #27
CarJunkieLS1

I actually happen to LOVE my Revenge scopes. I paid $135 shipped for each one that I own. The same Revolution scope was $189 so they aren't essentially the same price.

I do agree I'll take higher quality glass over magnification every time. But looking with my eyes the Revenge are the best that I own for the price. And the Nikon Buckmaster I own is the BEST I own but it was over $200.

As far as low light last year I shot a doe at ~80yds opening weekend at 5:57 am. I was told if I can see it I can shoot it...I could see the white hair on its chest so I fired.

I have an unscientific test I use on every scope I own. There is a church lighted announcement board with words printed on it ~600ish yards away from my front porch. My test is exactly 15minutes before sun up and sun down. I take the scope on max power and try to read the words on the church sign. There are letters of varying sizes on it I'll say sizes 1-5. 5 being smallest 1 being largest.
I can read sizes 1-4 with Revenge scopes
Nikon ranks 1-3
Vortex Crossfire is 1-2
Nikon Buckmaster 1-5

All scopes have a max power of 9x
Old November 4, 2014, 10:07 PM   #28
Colorado Redneck

This scope for 22-250

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...53&src=tpCtgOp

I have a Leupold VX3 in 3 1/2 - 10 that was initially used on a 22-250. Over about 250 yards, the scope was under powered. My 10 power Nikon Binoc's showed up much better clarity magnification than that VX3. It is satisfactory on a medium/large game rifle, but for prairie dogs, not so much.

I recently replaced a cheaper scope on my 270 Winchester with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9, and guess what? Comparing the two scopes side by side at the rifle range, the Buckmaster is clearer and has better magnification than the VX 3. I am not sold on Leupold optics.

I have a 4.5-14 Buckmaster on a 222 Remington, and love the side focus, and it is clear, good magnification, and works at least as well as the Leupold VX2 6-18 that sits on top of my 22-250. For the dollars, my money would go to the Nikon Buckmaster.
Old November 4, 2014, 10:12 PM   #29
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkieLS1
I have an unscientific test I use on every scope I own. There is a church lighted announcement board with words printed on it ~600ish yards away from my front porch. My test is exactly 15minutes before sun up and sun down.
A better test would be to do it 30 min before sunup and 30 min after sunset. Those are the legal hunting hours for most states. I'd be interested in what your Revenge does at those time.
Old November 4, 2014, 10:27 PM   #30
RC20

Quote:
I have had bad luck with anything made by leupold/redfield. the glass on redfields is nice and clear but they are not durable and personal experience with their service dept was less than satisfactory. personally I would get a Vortex or nikon instead. the Nikon Prostaff 4-12 is about the same price and I have had good luck with it. the Vortex Diamondback is another good scope which should be able to be had for about that price range.
I have a Revolution 3-12. I dropped the gun and smacked the scope, knocked the adjustment cap off and got erratic groups.

I sent it in knowing I would pay for the cap, the cross hairs to be checked.

It came back fixed, no charge at all.

I have shot two sub MOA groups with it out of a 1903A3.

We have a wide range of Leupold scopes and they all work well, honored warranty.

They stand by their stuff no matter how old.
Old November 4, 2014, 11:07 PM   #31
CarJunkieLS1

Taylorce1 you may be right but where I hunt its pretty thick so daylight doesn't really let light in as good as other places so I felt 15 minutes before and after was all I was really able to see anyways. but either way at least it was an apples to apples comparison
Old November 4, 2014, 11:49 PM   #32
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkieLS1
Taylorce1 you may be right but where I hunt its pretty thick so daylight doesn't really let light in as good as other places so I felt 15 minutes before and after was all I was really able to see anyways. but either way at least it was an apples to apples comparison
Trust me, get better scopes and you'll be able to extend your hunting time. I used to hunt with cheap scopes, I got better glass and my ability to see and make out animals in low light improved greatly. Now I have some scopes that allow me to make things out before and after legal light.
Old November 5, 2014, 12:00 AM   #33
Beentown71

Good scope plus a brighter moon makes for lights free Yote hunting.
Old November 5, 2014, 12:09 AM   #34
CarJunkieLS1

In an earlier post I actually said that last year I shot a doe at 80yds last year hunting. I'm positive it was before legal hunting hours. It was 5:57 am CST on opening weekend (Nov. 20 something) I very seriously doubt that a scope costing twice as much would've made much difference. I understand that you get what you pay for as far as optics go but for my purposes I don't need nor can afford multiple $300 or higher scopes.