The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 31, 2014, 01:11 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

QUICKload. Some questions.

As someone who is forever trying to work out if a component combination will work or not, beause they are not frequently listed, this program could be a very useful guide.

So what do I need to get it to work? I don't mean a PC, (although it would be good to know if it works on a Mac), I mean which parameters are asked for.

If, for example it asks for the cartridge type, bullet type, powder, primer and barrel length, then I am fine.

If it starts asking for a whole bunch of measurements requiring no end of gauges and dials that I do not own for all the SAAMI parameters ever recorded, then it would be a waste of money for me.

Secondly, is there anywhere that actually lists what components it does give data for?

Having such limited choice here, again, if it does not cover the brands I can get, what is the point in investing?
Old May 31, 2014, 01:31 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The only slightly unusual measurement asked by QuickLoad is water capacity. All you do is weigh an empty case, fill it with water and weigh it again. (Details if you need them)

There are many parameters and variables. You'll learn to use them as you go.

It's great for bottleneck rifle cartridges, less great for straight walled cartridges.

It works on a Mac if you have Parallels and/or Windows installed. It won't run in the Mac OS.

It has almost all powders, cartridges and bullets. The only parts that's tricky to input on your own is the powder. (Essentially impossible). The rest you can easily enter yourself but most is already there. Most, if not all, Vihtavouri powders are included.
Old May 31, 2014, 02:22 PM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
It won't run in the Mac OS.
First chink in the armour!! I do have an old laptop that could be my Quickload exclusive!! At least I can legitimately tell my wife we can't throw it out now...

I guess what I am worried about, taking another thread as an example, is it asks me for the exact headspace of my chamber or something like that, and I just wouldn't know where to start getting those exact numbers.

However, if what you describe is the trickiest data to get, that should not be hard to manage. I've done it before for Unclenick who wanted some water capacity weights for my Norma cases.
Old May 31, 2014, 02:53 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You can install windows on your Mac, assuming it's a semi recent incarnation. Windows works better on a Mac than it does on a "real" windows machine anyway.

If you have a windows PC, it is perfectly legal for you to transfer your copy of windows to another machine if you stop using that one.

QuickLoad is a marvelous tool. Worth it's price, x5. Absolutely at the top of my valuable tools list, along with the RCBS Charhemaster 1500.