The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 31, 2013, 06:07 PM   #1
JefferS

Do you use lead data for Rainier Bullets?

I'm still a novice, but I've had some overall success. I've looked at other threads and didn't find this question directly answered, so I hope I didn't miss it and repeated an answered question.

I was told by someone with just a little more experience than I have that for Rainier plated bullets (as opposed to jacketed), you use similar lead bullet load starting and max points.

My specific case is that I am loading 38 Special with Bullseye. 3.4 to 4.2 grain with Hornady XTP 158 gr JHP (#35750) with 1.445 OAL seemed reasonably accurate. I changed my crimp a bit and need to go back to the range and check those.

Now, I have obtained some Rainer 158 gr Round Nose. Not a lot to choose from these days, so I got what I could. So would I use data from, say, the Lyman 49th edition for lead, which has a starting point with Bullseye at 3.0 and max fo 3.4?
Old May 31, 2013, 06:33 PM   #2
Ashbane

I am also just starting so until someone who knows better comes along I can just say I bought some Berry's bullets and was told something similar, that they are copper plated and to use the lead bullet section of the manual. I did, however find load data from Hogdgon's website that specifically referred to the powder I was using to the bullet I had. I also found Hornady's book limited in info and in the Lee book Modern Reloading found they actually list copper plated bullets in addition to the lead and jacketed, etc...

Hope this helps...
Old May 31, 2013, 07:25 PM   #3
rg1

Check this info and compare it to other 115 grain data, both lead and jacketed: http://cakesniffer.org/stuff/boom/RanierData.pdf
Doesn't have .38 Special data but it might answer your question about using lead bullet data to compare to Rainier bullets.
This is what Rainier says about their bullets: http://www.rainierballistics.com/loaddata.php

Last edited by rg1; May 31, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old May 31, 2013, 07:58 PM   #4
arizona98tj

Straight from BerrysMfg web site:

Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.

I follow their advice and have had no issues having shot thousands of their bullets. Out of my 4" XD9, I get 1130 FPS with their 115 gr bullet.

Were I shooting Ranier bullets, it's not likely I would change my load (after working up to it) unless I had problems with plating separation, etc.
Old May 31, 2013, 08:14 PM   #5
mikld

http://www.rainierballistics.com/loaddata.php

Not too hard to find...
Old May 31, 2013, 10:38 PM   #6
BuckRub

I've shoot tons of them and do as post #4 stated.
Old June 4, 2013, 09:57 AM   #7
pbcaster45

I haven't loaded the round nose version but here's one using the 158 gr. FN. Shoots great in my Colt Python and S&W Model 10.

Bullet: Rainier 158 gr. FN
Powder: Hodgdon HP38 4.3 grs.
Primer: CCI-500
Case: Federal .38 Special
LOAL: 1.450 (Taper Crimp)
Old June 5, 2013, 06:41 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

I do NOT use Rainier data

I have loaded Rainiers, both for personal and commercial consumption, in 9x19, 9x21, 38 Super, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 40 S&W, 400 CorBon, 10mm, 44 Magnum, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt.

I still use Rainiers in a few personal loads.

I use averaged (from my many data sources) start charges from jacketed data.

(Mostly now I use lead or jacketed bullets. They're normally better.)