The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 30, 2009, 04:12 AM   #26
impalacustom

For me hunting has become less about the food, more about time out of the house and enjoyment. I can get beef cheaper than 90% of the people can get wild animal especially if they have it processed by someone else. I paid $30 for a resident deer tag and $20 for a hunting license and habitat stamp, all which are required for a deer. It was worth it though as I had a lot of fun.

In todays paper though I read that approximately 12% less deer were taken this year even though there were 5,000 more permits available. It is becoming extremely hard to get on land and the more land that goes away the more you will see prices of permits and such go up as there are fewer people hunting.
Old November 30, 2009, 07:45 AM   #27
DRice.72

This coming year is going to be expensive for me. I went on my first REAL deer hunt ever over the holidays. My buddies put in an area where I could get deer in range with my shotgun, but I sat cried as I watched deer out past 100 yds pick at the newly sprouted cover. I had not attempted a shot with that gun at that range. I didn't feel comfortable trying a shot that far so I let them go. Now I have to get a proper rifle, better clothes, etc. I feel that it will work itself out in the long run tho. If I get a good quality rifle it will outlast me, so every year I kill something I take a bite out of that expense.
Old November 30, 2009, 08:39 AM   #28
Remingtonvadeer

in virginia still the same price. 18 for liesence 5 to tag
Old November 30, 2009, 09:22 AM   #29
219er

Cost of hunting

I like to think of my hunting costs as mental therapy. It helps ease the pain of the cost if it is needed for your well being. Here in NE, a resident tag is $30 and some areas have a bonus (free) doe only tag with it. A statewide buck only is around $70. Not sure on non-residents. Jim
Old November 30, 2009, 11:07 AM   #30
taylorce1

Beef is cheap for me, and hunting isn't. I still hunt even though the costs of it seems to go up every year. This year all I put in the freezer was one small pronghorn doe, even though I had another buck pronghorn, buck mule deer, and either sex elk tag. Spent probably close to 1K on tags, fees, fuel, food, and camping this year to do all my hunts, and only cost me $365 to put 300 lbs of beef in my freezer. $400 in feed to get my steer big enough to eat, $330 to process split the cost down the middle with my parents.

Even my little old pronghorn wasn't really that cheap. $30 for the tag, $70 to fill my truck up for about 35-40 pounds of meat processed. That makes it around $3 a pound. If I add the cost of ice, food, wapping paper, and my time to process it that drives the cost up even more. However I hunt because it is what I love to do, not because it is cheap.
Old November 30, 2009, 01:43 PM   #31
davlandrum

Whatever the price, it is cheaper than paying a shrink to de-stress me.

And compare the money I spend hunting to taking my whole family (4 kids) to Disneyland.....:barf:

I buy the full Sport-pac every year, and have never filled the bear/cougar/turkey tags. I don't mind ODFW getting a little extra of my money.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old December 1, 2009, 07:11 PM   #32
James R. Burke

I have to admit prices on everything has went way up. I guess it comes down to the sport, and how much you like it. I reload, and never reload to save money because I always tryed to get the best, but it seemed I always saved anyways. Not no more I am just reloading for the sport, and knowing I have the best coming out of it. To bad for future hunter with everything in general going thru the ceiling.
Old December 2, 2009, 12:04 PM   #33
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The OP commented on increased prices of licenses. Well, the cost of living for a game warden goes up, just like for the rest of us. We either have game wardens or we turn the deer herd over to the poachers...
Old December 2, 2009, 12:51 PM   #34
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Eatman
The OP commented on increased prices of licenses. Well, the cost of living for a game warden goes up, just like for the rest of us. We either have game wardens or we turn the deer herd over to the poachers...
That's certainly true but you've got to wonder where the breaking point is. It seems like the bureaucrats can only think of raising prices and taxes every time they think they need more money. At some point, lowering prices would produce more money. I'm convinced that we're beyond that point in NY. The price increases have been dramatic. 18 years ago I could buy a Super Sportsman License, complete with doe tags for like $35. This year the price is up to $96. If you don't drop the whole $96 then you have to pay $10 for doe tags, and you might not even get them. Increases yes, but almost TRIPLE in less than 20 years?
Old December 2, 2009, 01:13 PM   #35
davlandrum

And you don't think the health insurance for the state employees involved with DNR has tripled in those 20 years?

I realize it is really fun to bash state governments, or city, or federal - but honestly, they are not money making machines (well, I guess the feds do actually make the money...).

Why is government not as efficient as private sector? Very simple, private sector does not have to keep a product line open if it is losing money.

I spend more on my cell phone bill each month than I do for all my licenses and tags for a year.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old December 2, 2009, 01:48 PM   #36
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And you don't think the health insurance for the state employees involved with DNR has tripled in those 20 years?
Indeed it has... and that cost is likely STILL less than 10% of the cost of each officer. The entire cost of each officer has certainly not tripled in the last 20 years. It hasn't doubled. In fact, I'd bet that it's not up 50%.

I speak for no other state besides NY. THIS state hemorrhages cash. The government in this state is consistently rated as the most ineffective, or very close, government in America. The entire government spends most of it's time arguing like kindergartners while the budget languishes, contracts are violated and the state goes bankrupt. We have the highest taxes, the highest fees and the most ineffective and worst services in America.

What's the solution to ineffective governance, incompetent and corrupt bureaucrats and a stagnant state economy? RAISE PRICES! Yes, awesome. Good plan.
Old December 2, 2009, 05:21 PM   #37
davlandrum

Peetza,

I had the pleasure of living in NY - stationed at Ft. Drum, and did my MBA at Syracuse.

Actually, OPE (other personnel expenses, which includes health insurance) runs about 30-35%, just rough average. The lower the salary, the higher the percentage, since the health insurance costs the same. So an officer whose salary is $40K, actually costs about $52K per year or more.

My employer pays a little over $13K per year per employee just for health insurance.

Sorry - I have drifted way off topic.

Old December 2, 2009, 09:01 PM   #38
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I spent a bunch of years as a cost estimator for major engineering projects. Rising costs were part of my daily reading, and for-sure affected my work.

I'm pretty content with the way the Texas wildlife folks have coped. For instance, our game wardens right now have come down from Alpine, the county seat, and it's 80 miles of travel, one-way. Gasoline ain't cheap. So, jeep trails all over the country to patrol, and motel costs for the wardens--and per diem, etc.

I'm not at all surprised that license costs went up some, a few years back. They're doing pretty good to hold the line, right now...
Old December 3, 2009, 04:09 AM   #39
impalacustom

The whole game warden pay thing by raising the prices of permits doesn't hold water in Nebraska though. They are paid by taxpayers of everyone in the state. Your permit money supposedly goes to maintaining and building more habitat. For instance my $20 habitat stamp fee goes to purchase or improve habitat for animals IE CRP and other land. Here is the real kick, if your handicap, you still have to pay this $20 fee for the stamp and can't hunt on this land as no motorized vehicles are allowed on the land.

I complain about prices of hunting and such but you know I still do it because the cost of hunting doesn't outweigh the benefit. I view the money as spread out over 12 months as I do everything else in my budget, and it's cheap looked at like that.
Old December 3, 2009, 09:49 AM   #40
jdscholer

I guess if you're a guy - or gal who goes hunting just once or twice a year, the cost of license, tags, stamps and etc., seems pretty high. If you go several times, say six or more, it's not so bad. Probably way less than gas. jd
Old December 3, 2009, 10:08 AM   #41
oneounceload

ALL states are hurting for revenue and will raise their fees and taxes accordingly; and it is very doubtful that all, or even a portion, goes to the DOW and not the general fund.

Having lived out West, the tags were the LEAST cost of the hunt - and I didn't have to pay landowners for permission - BLM land covers most of NV.

Be glad you still have the opportunity - it might not be available in a generation or two
Old December 3, 2009, 10:13 AM   #42
Uncle Buck

I was thinking about this more and more. Like I said in the previous post, I buy the tags even when I know I am not going to fill them.
But how does hunting compare to other hobbies? I know you do not need a license to golf (Although you should, I have seen some of these golfers and they should not be allowed near any round object with a club!), but golfing is expensive.
I still think I get more benefit from hunting (Free therapy) and even if I do not bag anything, I am outside in the woods, enjoying the solitude when by myself or companionship of close friends. I don't really think I could put a price on that. Also, I have not met anyone who quit hunting or fishing because of price increases.
Old December 3, 2009, 10:18 AM   #43
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I still think I get more benefit from hunting (Free therapy) and even if I do not bag anything, I am outside in the woods, enjoying the solitude when by myself or companionship of close friends. I don't really think I could put a price on that.
An argument could be made that you could have that "therapy" for free. After all, unless killing something is the "therapy" then being outside in the woods enjoying the solitude or companionship of friends is available 365 days a year, for free.

Quote:
Also, I have not met anyone who quit hunting or fishing because of price increases.
Maybe not solely but I know of cases where it's the last straw. Usually it's older guys who are starting to have trouble getting out anyway, or younger guys who are busy and have trouble finding the time, sometimes it's guys who are less successful hunters and so have less motivation to be out there anyway.
Old December 3, 2009, 12:44 PM   #44
davlandrum

Quote:
An argument could be made that you could have that "therapy" for free. After all, unless killing something is the "therapy" then being outside in the woods enjoying the solitude or companionship of friends is available 365 days a year, for free.
You are correct!

Old December 3, 2009, 02:36 PM   #45
Uncle Buck

Quote:
Quote:
I still think I get more benefit from hunting (Free therapy) and even if I do not bag anything, I am outside in the woods, enjoying the solitude when by myself or companionship of close friends. I don't really think I could put a price on that.

And in my case that argument would be wrong. I enjoy carrying a rifle and/or pistol, while in the woods. I enjoy target shooting. If I am on public land with a rifle, not near the range, I have to have the hunting license or I could be fined. Hunting is not always about killing something. Have you ever tracked an animal and then when it comes time to shoot, you just say no, for what-ever reason? If folks can not understand the difference, then I can not find words to explain it.
Old December 3, 2009, 04:48 PM   #46
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Have you ever tracked an animal and then when it comes time to shoot, you just say no, for what-ever reason? If folks can not understand the difference, then I can not find words to explain it.
I hunt the fragmented woods of Central NY. If I'm tracking an animal then I ALREADY shot it.

But yes, I understand. I have passed on shots for "no reason".
Old December 3, 2009, 07:19 PM   #47
UtahHunting

Here in Utah I think it is a bit pricey but it doesn't stop me or anyone else from going. Deer tags are $35, elk tags $45, turkey $35ish. You figure my son, wife and I all hunt so do the math, it gets expensive just in tags. That doesn't include duck season which we skipped all together this year. Tack on to that price $77 to butcher a deer and $170 for an elk since I don't do that work myself. We got 2 deer this year and blanked on the elk. So yeah, hunting is expensive, but I still find a way.
Old December 3, 2009, 07:35 PM   #48
oneounceload

Quote:
Here in Utah I think it is a bit pricey but it doesn't stop me or anyone else from going. Deer tags are $35, elk tags $45, turkey $35ish. You figure my son, wife and I all hunt so do the math, it gets expensive just in tags. That doesn't include duck season which we skipped all together this year. Tack on to that price $77 to butcher a deer and $170 for an elk since I don't do that work myself. We got 2 deer this year and blanked on the elk. So yeah, hunting is expensive, but I still find a way.
Wait a second - deer is $35 - a nice mulie will be around 200# dressed - so about .60/pound is too expensive??? what am I missing here????
Old December 3, 2009, 09:38 PM   #49
UtahHunting

Quote:
Wait a second - deer is $35 - a nice mulie will be around 200# dressed - so about .60/pound is too expensive??? what am I missing here????
The tag itself isn't that bad, it just adds up when you buy 3 of everything and do multiple hunts a year. It would save a ton if I knew how to do the butchering myself. And you don't get 200 lbs of meat. The biggest deer we got this year netted us 48 lbs of meat after it was butchered. It cost $77 + the $35 tag so it is more like $2.30 a pound if you look at it that way. However the small deer only netted us 35 lbs of meat, so it was $3.20 a pound.
Old December 4, 2009, 01:15 AM   #50
FrankenMauser

Quote:
its crazy, tags have went up about $8 this year and licens about $10..i mean are prices just going to keep going up untill no one can afford to hunt any more (as if it isint already expensive enuff), the prices for a non resident licens in oregon last year was $76.50 this year it is $140.50!!! just the cost to apply for a controlled hunt has almost trippled.....this is insain
Here I was, expecting this (based on the title) to be a complaint from an uppity, I-only-get-to-hunt-63-seasons-in-32-states-this-year-and-the-yearly-africa-trip-will-have-to-be-pushed-back-three-months whiny post. (I appreciate the pro-gun support from anyone, but sometimes those posts get really old, around here. I'm lucky to hunt 2 big game seasons, and nothing else. - This year, we made Antelope fit into the budget, and that was it.)

While I find it almost comical that a complaint is being made about a $10 license and $8 tag (I live in Utah, see UtahHunting's post), I understand your pain. Licenses (which come with tags, if applicable) here have been going up in price, for a while. It's the nature of inflation, and a poor economy. When the state doesn't have the funds to keep wildlife programs going, they pass the cost on to hunters (whether, or not, we use the programs in question).
The way the legislature works in our state, we'll probably see an "Emergency" increase in fees for 2010. Then, a major, across-the-board increase in 2012 (the next year that DNR regulations are up for full review and revision).

Quote:
It would save a ton if I knew how to do the butchering myself.
UtahHunting:
I don't extend invitations very often, but I feel obligated.
Next time you plan to hunt big game, drop me a line (PM here), and I'll see what I can do for you. My family butchers all of our animals ourselves. Most of us are located in the Salt Lake Valley. Butchering is a simple process, once you're shown how to do it properly. All you need are some good, non-serrated knives, a sharpener, a place to hang the game, a little time, some space (I used my kitchen counter this year), and a packaging method (we prefer freezer paper and freezer tape). It helps to have a meat grinder, as well.
Whether it's Deer, Antelope, or Elk, drop me a line. If I don't have the time to help, or offer pointers, my brothers might.

My only caveat: If you plan to turn the whole thing into jerky or sausage... you can figure it out yourself. That is an absolute waste of meat. The animals deserves to be enjoyed; not ground into oblivion, and spiced into tastelessness.