The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 15, 2007, 02:05 PM   #1
JKump

Turkey hunting?

I have a Stoeger O/U Condor 12 gauge, that I will be using this year for first time turkey hunting. I have two extra full chokes coming for the shotgun. My question would I do better getting after market Turkey chokes and if so which ones? I have not had a chance to pattern this shotgun yet (waiting on the new chokes), however, will probably using 5 shot from a known company in 3" shells.

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old February 15, 2007, 04:43 PM   #2
FirstFreedom

My guess is that the ones you've ordered will end up patterning just fine. I also use #5 shot, 3.0" shells. Lemme just say that I'm already chompin at the bit for spring turkeys, bigtime! Possibly my favorite of all hunting seasons.
Old February 15, 2007, 05:41 PM   #3
zpurdy

whats the difference between #4 and #5, i patterned #4 in my shotgun with extra full turkey choke and everything was within the area i needed. i've only been turkey hunting once, didn't see anything but had 2 jakes gobbling back at my calling, i thought it was pretty good because i've only used the call a handfull of times. but its quite possibly the most fun i've had beside calling back and forth with some coyotes.
Old February 15, 2007, 05:56 PM   #4
buck460XVR

the chokes you ordered should be fine, but I would also pattern your gun with the full chokes also.....sometimes the extra full chokes have more flyers and holes in their pattern due to too much constriction. It amazing how a small difference in choke and/or shot size/load can make such a big change in pattern. You might want to stick to 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 oz loads iffin you're gonna use a extra full choke. The 2 oz and larger loads will kick the 'ell out of your shoulder thru an extra full choke. Only advantage to an after market choke may be to get an extended tube with ports to reduce recoil and flinching. Good luck and shoot straight.
Old February 26, 2007, 02:47 PM   #5
Yellowfin

I too am doing some shopping to get some more choices in chokes, having already gotten one Tru Glow Xfull but hoping to do better. What's working for you guys right now? I'm using a Remington 1100, with the only limitation being 2 3/4 inch shells.