The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 3, 2016, 01:29 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

1911 Grip Screw Color

I just put some VZ Grips on my Springfield Government Model 1911, Stainless 9mm, it originally came with stainless screws, so I put those back on:

Oddly, my other 1911, Colt Government 45acp came with blued screws even though the gun is stainless.

I am thinking that maybe black/blued colored screws might look better with the black/grey grips.

Any thoughts which looks better
Old July 3, 2016, 01:34 PM   #2
claydoctor

I vote for stainless grip screws on that gun .
Old July 3, 2016, 01:41 PM   #3
BigJimP

Personally, I match the color of screws to color of grip panels...
Old July 3, 2016, 01:59 PM   #4
g.willikers

Sounds like kinda' girly talk, don't it?
The solution is obvious, use some hefty hex screws like something off'n a Harley.
Old July 3, 2016, 03:31 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Use whatever looks better to you.
Old July 4, 2016, 07:27 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

I like the blued personally. If you can't decide you can always do one side blue and one stainless .
Old July 6, 2016, 12:46 PM   #7
michael t

I think you need to do a survey. This is a important decision.

How about L/top stainless and bottom Right stainless . Other two holes dark screws . See several possible ways .So a survey is needed
Old July 6, 2016, 03:41 PM   #8
RickB

Whatever you do, replace the torx screws with proper slotted screws.
Old July 7, 2016, 06:55 AM   #9
cecILL

Keep an assortment on hand, that'll really make it tough to decide.
Old July 7, 2016, 08:45 AM   #10
JDBerg

You have the right VZ grips on the Springer and I'd agree that black or blued colored screws look better with those grips.
Old July 7, 2016, 10:08 AM   #11
Ozzieman

If you want something special go to altamontco and look at their screws.

http://altamontco.com/experimental//...//accessories/

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old July 7, 2016, 09:51 PM   #12
Ozzieman

Quote:
replace the torx screws with proper slotted screws.
Why?

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old July 8, 2016, 08:31 AM   #13
KyJim

Quote:
Why?
Not speaking for RickB but slotted screw heads don't take a special tool. It can use a very common tool or even no tool at all -- a dime or even a piece of the pistol. Though I've never stripped the head of a torx head screw, it just seems like that would be easier to do than with a slotted screw head.

That said, I own 1911s with torx head screws and like the way they look on some of my pistols. On others, the slotted heads seem more appropriate to me, like on a GI-style 1911.
Old July 8, 2016, 02:40 PM   #14
peggysue

I think they look pretty well matched like they are. However it is a inexpensive way to customize your gun.
Old July 8, 2016, 03:32 PM   #15
smee78

I have similar grips on a stainless long slide and I used the torx stainless like you did. I like the look, now on wood grips I can go either way, blue or stainless. Just do what makes you happy.
Old July 8, 2016, 06:07 PM   #16
lunger

Quote:
If you want something special go to altIamontco and look at their screws.

http://altamontco.com/experimental//...//accessories/
I was getting ready to say they are just grip screws. But after seeing these now I want some
Old July 8, 2016, 08:51 PM   #17
Ozzieman

I have a set of their USN grips being made along with some screws for my Gold Cup. I will photo them as soon as I get them (1 to 3 weeks)

Old July 18, 2016, 07:55 PM   #18
Ozzieman

altamontco grips and screws Gold Cup

I wrote about the altamontco grips and screws that I had on order. They showed up today and I was impressed.
The USN could have been silver or gold but for me that would have been a little too flashy. Anyway, the grips were beautiful and the fit was very good. What I liked about their screws is that they come with 4 rubber O rings that go between the screw head and the wood. Makes for a very tight fit without over tightening the screws.
I am very happy with the entire order.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg altamontco grips and screws 2.jpg (225.6 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Ozzieman; February 12, 2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old July 19, 2016, 09:19 PM   #19
KyJim

Nice looking grips and screws! I have o-rings on a couple of my pistols and plan on adding them to all my 1911 grips as I get a chance.
Old July 26, 2016, 02:18 PM   #20
dakota1911

I noticed in 2015 Colt was using SS grip screws on its SS pistols, here an XSE LW Commander in 9mm.

Old July 26, 2016, 03:41 PM   #21
Reloadron

I have a few Colt Government Series 70 guns that are nickel and stainless which use either stainless screws or they are nickel plated screws. Anyway, their use goes back to the 70s, on these guns anyway.

Ron

Last edited by Reloadron; July 26, 2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old July 27, 2016, 06:13 PM   #22
Ozzieman

dakota1911
NICE

Old July 30, 2016, 12:39 AM   #23
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
slotted screw heads don't take a special tool. It can use a very common tool or even no tool at all
The GI 1911 /1911A1 was made so it can be detail stripped using only one "tool", which is anything small enough to depress the firing pin to remove the firing pin stop, and such an object is almost always available.

ALL the rest of the removable parts of the pistol can be removed using only your hands and the parts of the pistol itself.

The sear spring is a screwdriver, for both the grip screws and the magazine catch "screw" (which is not a screw), the firing pin a punch.

Actual tools do the job better and easier, of course, but its a thing of design beauty that a GI in the field can do it without any, really.

Of course the more you get away from the original GI issue pistol, the less this applies. Different screws, bushings that need special wrench, one piece guide rods and all the other "improvements" come at the cost of requiring special tools to detail or sometimes even field strip.
Old July 30, 2016, 09:07 AM   #24
Ibmikey

And i thought sitting in the parking lot waiting for the wife to get out of a quilt shop was boring but reading about designer screws for a 45 is ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzsnorezzzzzzsnore.
Old July 30, 2016, 09:22 AM   #25
BarryLee

I’ve always like the look of the Torx screws, but saw a video once where someone (Larry Vickers maybe) shared his preference for slotted screws. He apparently had seen situations where someone tightened the Torx too much and snapped them off. He believes this is less likely to happen with slotted screws. He also made the point that G10 doesn’t compress like wood does, so the screws are more likely to work loose. To keep them tight He recommend small o-rings as opposed to thread locker.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman