The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 28, 2008, 11:39 PM   #1
troy_mclure

do it all loader????

is there a "do it all" loader out there?

im looking for something to load pistol, rifle, and shot gun. is there a loader that can do all that?

i had a dillon square deal b a few years ago, but it was limited to pistol ammo, and i had tons of problems with it.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 28, 2008, 11:55 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Not really. Pistol and rifle, sure, but not shot.

RCBS used to sell shotshell dies for use in a Rockchucker but they were not much less expensive than a whole MEC loader that would be a lot easier to use. I don't know if they still offer them.
Old December 29, 2008, 03:19 PM   #3
BigJimP

No, you can load pistol and rifle on one loader ( like a Dillon 650 ). You said you had trouble with a Dillon SDB - not sure what issues you had / but I think they make very good equipment. No loaders are foolproof - they require some effort to keep them clean, well tuned, a lot of detailed understanding on how they operate. Lots of good equipment out there from Dillon, RCBS, Hornady, etc - but I would urge you to pick a loader with a "powder check" station on it ( the Dillon SDB or 550 do not have it ).

Dillon sells a separate loader for shotshells - but like last response, I prefer MEC loaders for shotshells. The entry level loader for shotshells, I would consider, would be their Grabber model.
Old December 29, 2008, 05:05 PM   #4
jjohnson

Dillon 550B

Well, no, you can't do it all.

I've had a Dillon 550B for a decade and it's loaded over 100,000 cartridges in about two dozen rifle and pistol calibers. The few problems I've had with it were addressed by the instructions (most of the time, and those instructions are available online) but I admit I got lazy/frustrated more than once and called their toll free number. I always got excellent service from them, and on the occasion or two where I wore something out (my fault, improper adjustment) they sent me 'free' parts under warranty, no questions asked.

I've never had the Square Deal but with that many loads done, I can give Dillon five stars out of five for both engineering and service and I AM picky. I'd bet that with a Dillon 550B and a shotshell loader from RCBS, MEC or equivalent, you'd be a happy man.
Old December 29, 2008, 06:17 PM   #5
Shoney

There is one do it all loader, but you havent trained your wife yet.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111