The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 18, 2014, 03:30 PM   #1
WVsig

Beretta's Next Gen M9A3 for DOD

Beretta USA Presents Next Generation Handgun to the Department of Defense. Looks like they are trying to get a leg up on the upcoming pile....

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/beretta...nt-of-defense/

“Furthermore, the M9A3 benefits from having a law enforcement and commercial variant that will be launched at S.H.O.T. Show 2015 in Las Vegas, NV” stated Rafe Bennett, Vice President of Product Marketing for Beretta USA. Mr. Bennett added, “The M9A3 offered to the DOD is the exact gun that consumers will be able to purchase in the second quarter of 2015.”
Old December 18, 2014, 03:35 PM   #2
Model12Win

They said there will a "variant" released to L.E. and civillians.

I hope it's actually the exact same gun offered to DOD like they said. If so... I'LL TAKE IT!!! !
Old December 18, 2014, 03:40 PM   #3
WVsig

One the of the nice features rumored to be on these guns is the ability to convert the safety and turn it into a G gun, DA/SA only no safety.

I think that would be a huge improvement over the current 92 series guns.
Old December 18, 2014, 03:54 PM   #4
Technosavant

Threaded barrel, night sights, rail for a light...

That looks like something that is extremely relevant to my interests. Make it in black and I'll take one.
Old December 18, 2014, 04:42 PM   #5
WVsig

Looks like a Vertec.

Old December 18, 2014, 05:03 PM   #6
TunnelRat

I thought it was interested how they mentioned the adaptations to other legacy weapons, i.e. the M4, in lieu of replacement. It's true that this would save them retraining everyone and maybe the holsters are reusable too. I imagine the current magazines might need replacing, but likely they'd work as well. I guess it all depends on how much the Army wants to spend.
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 18, 2014, 05:07 PM   #7
Dragline45

It's a 92A1 with a paint job.
Old December 18, 2014, 05:57 PM   #8
pgdion

I agree with technosavant, if they make it in black I'll take one too. I've been wanting an A1 to go along with my FS, might as well get the upgrades in the A3.
Old December 18, 2014, 06:11 PM   #9
10mm4ever

Basically a hybrid of the Vertec and M9A1, with a threaded barrel, extended mag release and a new paint job. This will fit more hand sizes but I still prefer the original grip contour. Although it's large, it's contoured and just feels right on the 92. There's nothing out there that will out perform the 92 if in fact there's a new pistol trial in the works. I've never encountered a more reliable 9mm service pistol.

Last edited by 10mm4ever; December 18, 2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old December 18, 2014, 06:14 PM   #10
jr24

They kept the things I didn't like about the 92 (namely the frame safety) and took away the beauty.

Not for me.
Old December 18, 2014, 06:57 PM   #11
Noreaster

I like the M9/92FS but this isn't the way to go. It has the same draw backs as the original M9, weight, size, slide mounted safety, hammer fired and lack of modularity in the grip size. The PX4 should have been redesigned into a striker fired same as Sig did with the P250/320.
Old December 18, 2014, 07:42 PM   #12
TunnelRat

Quote:
It has the same draw backs as the original M9, weight, size, slide mounted safety, hammer fired and lack of modularity in the grip size.
Why is this a drawback? Do you really think the US Army, that barely trusts its soldiers with hammer down and safety on, would adopt a striker fired pistol?
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 19, 2014, 01:50 AM   #13
Noreaster

"Why is this a drawback? Do you really think the US Army, that barely trusts its soldiers with hammer down and safety on, would adopt a striker fired pistol?"

Good point, I was comparing it to modern service pistol designs that are lighter and requires less maintenance. I was wrong about the grip, the M9A3 does have replaceable grips with different sizes.
Old December 22, 2014, 08:39 AM   #14
Kosmo K

Is an open top slide style pistol really the way to go for soldiers out in the field?
Old December 22, 2014, 11:22 AM   #15
40CalGuy

vertec grip
3 more positions on the rail
new front and backstrap checkering pattern
larger mag release button
color change