The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 21, 2001, 08:49 AM   #1
cbjessee@NH

Pistol Sighting In Advise Please

I sent my SIG P226 pistol slide off for nickel plating and didn't think to send the barrel so the smith could put my Trijicon sights back on sighted in right with a chamber laser boresighter. I have access to a Alpec .40 chamber laser boresighter and SIG rear sight pusher (B Square) to do the job.

I'd appreciate advice on sighting in for defensive pistol use (distance, red dot high, low or just on top of front post, etc.).

BRET
Old July 22, 2001, 06:33 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

cbjessee@NH, I use a six o'clock sight picture so I would put the dot just on top of the post @ 25 yds. I've never tried a bore sighter with a pistol. If it were me I'd do my sighting in at the range. George
Old July 22, 2001, 11:02 AM   #3
johnwill

I have to agree that a boresighter on a pistol isn't the best way. I have a cheap pistol rest that I use to sight in my pistols, works fine. I also get the job done once, and validate it at the same time.
Old July 24, 2001, 12:35 AM   #4
RiverRider

I would definitely adjust the laser so that the dot sits right on top of the front sight...not a good idea to have to remember any differences between how the iron sights and the laser sight are adjusted when push comes to shove.