The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 15, 2017, 09:25 AM   #1
GunXpatriot

SKS Ventilated Handguard?

You know a while back (prob 2 years ago), I was looking on Amazon for sks parts and happened upon a ventilated handguard, and I would swear that it was around 20 bucks or so. Which was reasonable. But I didn't have much money at the time, so I decided to go with one of the ones you put on yourself by taking the pin out, etc. Anyway, it ended up being too much hassle. the pin just wouldn't budge.

And then I remembered that cheapo gas tube w/ the ventilated handguard on it. Or at least I swore I did. I don't think it was Tapco branded, but heck, for all I know, it could have been. The only thing similar I've seen is this from rifletech.net.

I have no doubt it's of the highest quality, but I swear I saw something similar a couple years ago for a quarter of the cost, whether it's a chinese sweatshop knockoff or not...

I swear, this is driving me up the freakin' wall.

Does anyone know of a cheaper whole gas tube/handguard instead of having to mess with the pin etc?

The only other option would be maybe to get a tapco gas tube and take that off to use with my ventilated handguard, since I'm sure the pin will be much more replaceable and user-servicable... If not the ventilated handguard, would you guys recommend any kind of alternative gas tube combo that will still blend well with my wood-stocked SKS? I'd be willing to make that sacrifice also. Thanks a lot for you help, guys.
Old January 15, 2017, 11:30 AM   #2
mapsjanhere

Hand guard on ebay $11, gas tube $19; the pins are the pricey part
If you're just trying to get a functional replacement, they sell gas tubes with a picantinny mount for $18.

Tags
accessories , handguard , sks , ventilated