The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 25, 2014, 02:09 PM   #1
codefour

A Question Re Wyoming Elk Hunt

I have only hunted in California all my life. I decided to take up a friends advice and I purchased a left over elk cow/calf tag for elk zone 75 near Jackson. We will be hunting up there in middle to late November.

Are lead free bullets required for hunting in Wyoming.? I hunt in Northern California where lead bullets are not required as of yet (in 2019 they are required).

Are lead free bullets required for handguns as well.? I like to carry my .454 Casull for bears along with bear spray.

I hunt with an old .30-06 that just shoots perfectly for me. It was my grandfather's hunting rifle. He left it for me when he passed years ago. So, I cannot break tradition and take another rifle.

Any .30-06 ammo or bullet recommendations if lead free bullets are required? I load my own as well. But those Barnes TTSX bullets are two dollars each! So load development may get expensive. What grain bullet for elk in Wyoming. I have always used Hornady or Nosler 180 grain on hogs in California and had good luck.

Any other pointers or advice for hunting Wyoming elk..? Thanks for any responses in advance.
Old July 25, 2014, 02:42 PM   #2
Ralph Allen

Hi,
Wyoming has no lead free bans of any kind, maybe certain waterfowl issues, but those are usually federal. If you google Wyo game and fish website, you can read the current regulations as to ammo caliber, etc. Any 30-06 ammo that you shoot well is sufficient for Wyoming elk. Lots of people hunt the Jackson area, so be prepared for plenty of hunters. I believe bear spray is required. Our bears have been "climatized" to come to the sounds of gunshots in some areas, so if you successfully drop an elk, just keep your senses about you and stay prepared. Altitude is fairly high so make sure of your fitness levels and try not to do something that you aren't comfortable with. Ducks in a row. Dot your i's and cross your t's. Chances are you will be contacted by Wyo G&F.
Ralph
Old July 25, 2014, 02:45 PM   #3
Barnacle Brad

There are no 'lead free' requirements in Wyoming.

Stick with the Nosler or Hornady 180gr bullets you have been shooting.

Good luck!
Old July 28, 2014, 12:33 AM   #4
codefour

Brad and Ralph, thanks for the information. It is greatly appreciated..
Old July 28, 2014, 01:01 AM   #5
tahunua001

yep, fish and game laws get pretty lax once you get north of the communist state of california. no lead free requirements unless the current push to ban them federally passes and it's so low profile, I doubt it will(fingers crossed, knocking on wood, throwing salt over my shoulder, spinning 3 times, saying hail marys). if you roll your own, I have very good luck with Speer deep curl 180s. I load them in 300 weatherby mag for my elk loads and loaded some for my 30-06 for my little brother for his first elk hunt last year, both of us brought home meat, both were DRT.
Old July 28, 2014, 05:50 AM   #6
green_MTman

lead bans are usually only for wetlands or wild life refuges ie...condors ares in Cali.
30-06 always a good elk,moose decision,id go 200gr A frame
Old July 28, 2014, 07:36 AM   #7
jmr40

Quote:
TTSX bullets are two dollars each!

The 180 gr Hornady or Nosler bullets are just fine. So are the Barnes TTSX, but I'm only paying 60 cents per bullet. Exactly the same as Nosler Partition or Accubond. At the same price copper bullets do offer some advantages.
Old July 28, 2014, 11:00 AM   #8
AllenJ

Quote:
But those Barnes TTSX bullets are two dollars each!
Why are you doing your shopping? If they're charging $100 for a box of TTSX's they're making a heck of a profit!!

If you do decide to use Barnes bullets go light, 165/168 grain. Barnes bullets do their best work when moving very fast and since they don't come apart the faster the better. The party I hunt with in Colorado has some Barnes bullet fans (me being one of them) and in our 7mm's we're using 145 and 150's with great success. If you stay with cup and core bullets 180's have been getting it done for years.
Old July 28, 2014, 02:20 PM   #9
tahunua001

I think he meant factory ammo loaded with barnes are $2 a round.
Old July 29, 2014, 04:25 AM   #10
codefour

I apologize for the confusion regarding Barnes Bullets. MidwayUSA had them listed at $38.99 a box of fifty but I read it as for only twenty bullets. I guess I should wear my glasses more often!

I am just going to stick with my trusty Nosler 180 grain loads I rolled myself. They shoot close to 0.5 MOA and I have them doped to 350 yards.

Thanks again for all the responses. All your help has been appreciated.

I can't wait till I can retire and get out of Commiefornia..!