The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 3, 2005, 01:06 AM   #1
hawkey

rifle blueing

i have an old savage 110 ld 7mm i tried to use cold blue on some bright spots on the barrel but it didnt seem to work anyone know why .i followed the directions and cleaned it relly well
Old March 3, 2005, 03:53 AM   #2
PinnedAndRecessed

Not all cold blues are created equal, apparently.

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=125924
Old March 4, 2005, 03:28 AM   #3
cntryboy1289

I use Oxphoblue

I degrease the parts or the barrel and use a heat gun to get the part very hot. It blends pretty well with the hot blued guns that are the black color, but it won't match worth a flip for any of the slow rust blued guns. I use a cotton ball to apply it and I let it sit a little longer than a minute, but make sure to keep the part wet with the creme. Do several treatments to get the dark color your looking for. If the gun isn't very dark, it should only take 2 times of wetting the metal, more than 4 to get it to match a newer gun. I apply Breakfree afterwards and buff it good with 0000 steel wool. I then wipe it clean and reapply the breakfree and let it sit for a day or two before handling the gun. Good luck with it.
Old March 4, 2005, 08:35 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Maybe because the barrel is stainless steel? Factories use a special process to darken the metal but no cold blue or even regular tank blue will touch it.

Jim
Old March 7, 2005, 10:06 AM   #5
KaptainKlutz

Try 44/40 from Brownells. Especially for small touch-up spots. If 44/40 won't color the steel, then you're dealing with an alloy with probably a high percentage of chrome (stainless) and few if any of the available commercial cold blues will work.
Good luck