The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 17, 2001, 01:37 PM   #1
ARshooter

I have a Savage 110V 22-250 and plan to shoot Sierra 53 gr match bullets (moly coated). When I seat the bullet to the lands there is only .100" of the bullet in the neck. I would like to have more (hunting purposes) but that is where the trade off comes in AND the question.

How much of the bullet should be in the case neck to adequately support consistant ignition? I know about the rule of thumb stating 1 caliber's length but that would put the bullet too far away from the lands.

Would a more consistant neck tension provide better accuracy than than having the bullet seated touching the lands?

Thanks in advance
Old April 17, 2001, 02:43 PM   #2
muzzletalk

what is the max OAL? If you load to the max OAL are you touching the lands? The other think that you might want to look at, is if you increase the tension on the neck, what are you doing for pressure. I haven't reloaded much for rifle, but I imagine that its the same principal as pistol.
Old April 17, 2001, 03:42 PM   #3
Marko

How is the throat of your savage? It sounds very long to me. If you are much past OAL you (or your gunsmith) may want to cerro-safe your chamber to make sure it is safe. A tenth of an inch is not enough to give reliable shooting. Brownells has cerro-safe for not a huge amount of money. Just my two cents worth.
Old April 18, 2001, 11:18 AM   #4
Hutch

Varmint Hunter magazine had an article that said that half a bullet diameter is adequate seating for proper case neck tension. I have a simlar problem in my 700VS in .308. Can't really seat the bullets out far enough to suit me. Using half a diameter as minimum seating depth, I'd say you're right at (or slightly less than) the ragged minimum, using .1 inches in a .224 case mouth.
Old April 20, 2001, 08:30 PM   #5
coyote hunter

ARshooter,
The 22-250 is a specialty of mine, I have own 5 of them over the years. You should have the bullet in the neck at least half way. It sounds like the throat is wore out, so two things you can do here is to rechamber or use another bullet like the "ballistic tip" or "barnes X" 53gr. for these are longer bullets.
One thing that will help you when using "moly" bullets is to take about 2 thousands off of your expander ball. Being Moly bullets are "slicker", it takes more pressure to hold the bullet. I have done this to all my dies and the "bench rest" circle guys & gals have done this also. Just reduce your load 1 gr. and work up.

Shoot staight
Coyote Hunter