The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 5, 2013, 12:23 AM   #26
oldreloader

I've had good luck with HP38, Bullseye, and AA#5
Old August 5, 2013, 02:46 AM   #27
MEATSAW

AA #5, #2, silhouette, and competition for various application in 40 and 45.
Old August 5, 2013, 07:25 AM   #28
WESHOOT2

Quote:
124 gr LRN. I have some IMR 700X, HS-6 and Power Pistol.
Using Power Pistol, I most highly recommend a start charge for your 124g lead (did you weigh a sampling?) of 5.0g.
Old August 5, 2013, 08:26 AM   #29
Real Gun

Quote:
ozo - Never rely on data from any forum......from anyone....unless you know them well.
Come on now, the thing to do is value the information but know enough about reloading to validate it. Does it make sense in light of all you know about powders and other loads? Some obscure powder and bullet combination is hardly the place for a new reloader to start.

In any case, if a specific load is found in the Lee book, why a question? Try the minimum load, if uncomfortable.
Old August 5, 2013, 08:33 AM   #30
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
I'm also new to reloading and I would like to know if I can use 115 gr LRN data for my 124 gr LRN. I have some IMR 700X, HS-6 and Power Pistol. The only data I could find, came out of a Lee reloading book using the 700X and HS-6. Anyone with some data using any of these powders would be greatly appreciated.

thomas
NO!

Go to (and bookmark) the Hodgdon data center website and the one for Alliant and the one for Accurate - those folks have the latest, up-to-date reliable data. Printed matter is nice for a reference, but remember it is out of date by the time it gets printed. The powder makers do the testing, verify the published data as it is their butts on the line
Old August 5, 2013, 08:57 AM   #31
Real Gun

Quote:
BigD_in_FL - but remember it is out of date by the time it gets printed.
Other than failing to include new powders and loads (data), how does that happen with old data?
Old August 5, 2013, 06:55 PM   #32
BigJimP

The online data ....is updated / and easy to find...no reason to use the old books....

and no, if you're going to load a 115 gr bullet - find data for it / do not use data for 124gr bullet !!
-------------
Hodgdon Universal is my choice on your 2 calibers..../ although Hodgdon TiteGroup is a good choice as well ( if you're careful with it - min and max are close together on TiteGroup).
Old August 5, 2013, 08:42 PM   #33
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
Other than failing to include new powders and loads (data), how does that happen with old data?
Powder formulae change from lot to lot, sometimes enough that the makers will update their websites immediately - not something that can be done with printed material. Manuals are nice for learning about reloading, but for up-to-date data, I prefer the on-line data centers from the powder makers
Old August 6, 2013, 01:02 AM   #34
Clark

I never use anyone else's loads for 45acp nor 9mm, I make up my own.

I like Power Pistol. It looks and smells like Bullseye. It was once called "Bullseye 84". But it is higher density than Bullseye.

I can get 45 Super performance in a 45acp with 0.235" of feed ramp intrusion in the chamber. I have found no other powder that can do that. But the fire ball is bright. I use 3N37 for low flash applications.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 6, 2013, 08:27 AM   #35
kostyanj

Lymans 49th has 124gr lead and 115gr lead data for 700x.
Old August 6, 2013, 12:29 PM   #36
Real Gun

Quote:
BigD_in_FL - Powder formulae change from lot to lot, sometimes enough that the makers will update their websites immediately
Where did you get that idea?
Old August 6, 2013, 05:51 PM   #37
BigD_in_FL

From talking to the folks at the powder companies - they DO answer questions, even in person.............
Old August 6, 2013, 06:02 PM   #38
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'd like to see a modern example a powder that changed so much that the load data had to be altered.
Old August 8, 2013, 05:24 PM   #39
Clark

Brian, I am with you.
We handloaders pay a premium for canister powder, which should be blended to within specifications measured in a closed bomb.

It is like we are buying rulers.
We pay extra for rulers that have the same meaning of an inch consistent with old rulers.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 9, 2013, 09:42 AM   #40
skimbell

WSF is good for both 9 and 45. It also is the powder that I use for the shotgun buckshot loads I load.
I only seriously load 9, 45, 223, 308 and the 12ga buckshot. WSF takes care of 60% of my powder needs.