The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 29, 2010, 09:08 PM   #1
Freakdaddy

Finally got a safe!

It's been WAY overdue and now that I have one, I can't believe I waited so long to buy one. Not only for the peace of mind I now have but these things are VERY cool! It's called Republic by Hollon safes out of Texas and it's the RG-39 model. Of course it's made in China (as most safes this price are) and it's very similar to the Diamondback safes with a few extra tweaks. I had the LaGard mechanical lock installed as opposed to the electronic lock. It's a little slower and not as convenient but I should never have any issues with it. The only real criticism I have is it only has two holes for anchor bolts and they are placed more toward the center of the safe. For one this size, I wish it had anchor holes in all four corners. There is also no hole drilled for an electronic dehumidifier. No big deal as I don't have an outlet where I placed it and I put a silica gel dehumidifier similar to the Eva-Dry E-333 model that should work well. Here's a link that gives a better description and features:
http://www.hollonsafe.com/safes/RG-39.shtml

I picked it up through Valuesafes for $1299 delivered and the service was top notch. I actually had it within 5 days from the date of order and this included a weekend. I lucked out as I bought it on the last day of their sale and when the new sale started the next day, it went up $300 but now they offer a free keypad upgrade. Here's a link if anyone is interested.
http://www.valuesafes.com/hollon_gun_safes.html

I ended up building another shelf for it that is cut out for my shotguns and a smaller cutout for my centerfire rifles. I have a couple of shotguns that are very long which made the top shelf have minimal room. It's good enough for magazines and paperwork but not really good at utilizing for handguns. I also installed some LED puck lights that really work great. These run off batteries and the light has two levels of brightness and up to 30 degree of directional output that lock in place and swivels 360 degrees. They can either be attached with velcro (supplied) or with a screw which I opted to use. I figured with the screw there would be less chance of the fabric sagging and it would be much easier to replace batteries when needed. As everyone else knows, it doesn't take long to fill it up especially with guns that have scopes with large objective lenses. It looks like I don't have much room for more guns so I guess I'll have to either get another safe or quit buying guns. Looks like I need to invest in another safe :rock:! I'm also going to have to get a pistol rack or make one to better store the handguns.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it and it seems well made and a lot of safe for the money. I definitely don't have buyer's remorse. Here's some pics of my new toy.

Old August 29, 2010, 11:21 PM   #2
Crankylove

Very nice. I really like the lighting you added, huge improvement over the safes with no light, or the single tube fixtures.

Hopefully, my next major purchase will a safe instead of the steel cabinet I am using now. I keep drooling over them at the local stores..........someday one is gonna follow me home.
Old August 29, 2010, 11:49 PM   #3
rtpzwms

Congrats Looks Great!
Old August 30, 2010, 02:23 PM   #4
JT-AR-MG42

Smart move!

I think a lot of us have had those same feelings regarding the peace of mind at finally having gotten their first safe.

For years, I too bought another gun instead of that peace of mind. A safe is the best buy a gun owner ever makes.

Just one suggestion to a new safe owner in the FWIW category. Do not have the combination written down anywhere on the premises or in your wallet.
I remember I was tempted when I got my first safe. Give the combo to a trusted friend instead. You can always call to get it until it is really ingrained in the memory.

A friend of mine had his written behind a photo on his living room wall. The thieves found it.

Professional looking set up! Now start planning where the second one will go. You've got that one full.

JT
Old August 30, 2010, 06:10 PM   #5
Freakdaddy

Thanks for the compliments! For many years, the wife and I worked different shifts and someone was always at home. Now we are both on the same shift and the thought of no one being home for 8-9 hours a day was causing me all kinds of anxiety. It's really nice to know too that in the event of a fire, I do have the extra barrier of protection as well.

I lucked out on the combo as the numbers coincide with pivotal points in my life so it was easy to remember right off the bat. Weird huh?

It is amazing how quick they fill up. I have room for maybe 3-4 long guns as long as they don't have scopes and less if they do. I could also get by with some more handguns but after that, I'll definitely have to start focusing on the next safe !
Old August 30, 2010, 06:19 PM   #6
Mr Dish

I have to wipe the drool off my chin....trying to picture that thing in my office...
Old September 1, 2010, 02:56 PM   #7
Creade

Looks like you should have bought a bigger one for sure!
Old September 1, 2010, 03:42 PM   #8
Pahoo

Congratulations and as time goes by, you will see that it is one of the best investmants you ever made. I've had mine for about 20yrs. and they do give you a sense of security. I'm not worried about the pros getting in as much as street kids. Later, as you see a need, you can change the internal configuration that will allow you to hold more long guns. Life is good and just got better ...

Be Safe !!!
Old September 2, 2010, 07:50 PM   #9
6shot

very nice, but i would never post pictures of mine with the door open, you know how sneaky the bad guy is!