The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 17, 2009, 04:47 PM   #1
itman

.44 Mag Die help

First off thanks for your help.

With ammo prices what they are, I'm going to start reloading for my .44 magnum (Ruger red hawk). But I have never reloaded a striate case or for a handgun for that matter. I'm trying to decide on a set of dies. Buy I have a few questions that the reloading manual doesn’t answer.

1. Why are there 3 die sets and 4 die sets? What benefit is separating bullet seating and crimping?

2. Which dies need to be Carbide?

3. Some Die sets say they roll crimp and other just say they crimp. Should I assume that they are all roll crimping? (I know it sounds dumb, but I'm going to ask anyway).

Most of these questions come from this set of dies http://www.midwayusa.com/Eproductpag...eitemid=875273

So I guess the 4th question would be, are these the Dies I should but to reload for my Ruger.

And before anyone asks I have a RCBS single stage press.

Thanks again!
Old May 17, 2009, 05:11 PM   #2
vranasaurus

1. The sizer needs to be carbide as this eliminates the need for lube. The Lee factory crimp dies also have a carbide sizer that sizes the round in addition to crimping.

2. The separation of crimping from seating just makes it easier to set up the dies but it really depends on what type of press you are using. In a progressive it's really easy to separate these operations. Since you are using a single stage you have to pull the handle one more time for each round.

3. 44 Mag crimp dies are more than likely roll crimp. I'm not sure if the seater dies actually roll crimps or if it is just a taper crimp. I put a pretty good roll crimp on all my 44 mag rounds.

4. I use that same set of dies to reload my 44 Mag and it works great.
Old May 17, 2009, 05:54 PM   #3
Winchester 69

xxxxx

Last edited by Winchester 69; May 17, 2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old May 17, 2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Russ5924

I have always used the 4 dies set by Lee. It's what I started with about 7 years ago and see no reason to change. I hunted for .44 Mag dies for about 4 months. All I got was out of stock or backordered I finally ordered from the Lee Factory and they even said 4 to 6 weeks don't call us we will tell you when they ship. I got them in less than three weeks
Old May 17, 2009, 06:24 PM   #5
Jim Watson

I have never had any trouble loading revolver ammunition with a three die set; size, expand, seat+crimp. A real revolver bullet has a groove or cannelure and the crimp shoulder will roll the case mouth into it over the last fraction of seating without gouging up the bullet.
Old May 17, 2009, 07:01 PM   #6
wncchester

"If you're loading cast bullets, the Lyman "M" expanding die better sizes the brass."

That's true. Of course, those who have never used it won't understand its value in neck expanding, including for jacketed bullets.

Conventional simultaneous seating-crimping has a potential for damaging the bullets. If the crimped neck is pressed inward while the bullet is still being moved in it's easy for the mouth to cut a bit into the side of the bullet. Seating the bullet to full depth as a seperate step before crimping avoids that.
Old May 17, 2009, 07:06 PM   #7
vranasaurus

Quote:
The Lee Factory Crimp die is described as a taper crimp; I would solicit input on its adequacy for those loadings.

What type of crimp the Lee FCD provides depends upon the caliber the ones I have in 9mm and 45 are taper crimps but the 44 mag is a roll crimp.
Old May 17, 2009, 07:29 PM   #8
itman

Hey thanks guys. Your the best.
I just ordered that set of Dies. Thanks!
Old May 17, 2009, 11:12 PM   #9
4T4MAG

Which set of dies did you end up going with?
Old May 18, 2009, 06:51 PM   #10
itman

I went with the Lee 4-Die Set.
Old May 19, 2009, 02:22 AM   #11
gbcop

Everyone has their preference, but all of my dies are RCBS. Never had a problem, but I've only been reloading for a little over a year. my dad has been reloading for over 30 years and has never broken a single decapping pin. But Lee does make a darn good product.