The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 24, 2009, 05:26 PM   #1
Daugherty16

Crossing State Lines

I have a CCW in my home state. We are vacationing in another state, that honors my CCW and for 20 bucks is issuing me a 4-year, non-resident CCW, even as we speak.

The problem is crossing the no-mans land in between - a state with ammunition cards, and two different levels of firearms cards. Needless to say, they don't honor my CCW from home or destination so i'd have to do their expensive, may-issue process just for the hour it will take to cross their state, but i got to cross the state. What would you do?

1) pay their $100 1-year non-resident fee, go thru their process, and risk being told your reason for carrying isn't good enough.
2) Stop at the border, unload and lock the gun away, then do the opposite when you cross into the destination state. Meanwhile, you're naked in some tough neighborhoods with the whole family in the car.
3) Drive right on through, putting it all at risk but oh hell, what are the odds anyway? Besides, who are they to try infringing your 2nd Amendment anyway?
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old March 24, 2009, 05:30 PM   #2
golfnutrlv

Paying for the middle state permit seems...pointless. Do some research on the middle states laws regarding transport of firearms. See if they will let you transport locked/unloaded whatever. If their law permits transport, then you should not have any problems. i woudn't recommend speeding though

The last thing you want is to go to the slammer for taking a risk getting your gun through a slice of an anti gun state. try and get through legally. anything more agressive than that is up to you as to what amount of risk your willign to take.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old March 24, 2009, 05:42 PM   #3
csmsss

Quote:
Paying for the middle state permit seems...pointless. Do some research on the middle states laws regarding transport of firearms. See if they will let you transport locked/unloaded whatever. If their law permits transport, then you should not have any problems. i woudn't recommend speeding though

The last thing you want is to go to the slammer for taking a risk getting your gun through a slice of an anti gun state. try and get through legally. anything more agressive than that is up to you as to what amount of risk your willign to take.
According to federal law, if you are legally entitled to possess a firearm in the state from which your travel starts, and in the state in which your travel ends, then you are legally entitled to possess a firearm in all states along the way, regardless of those states' laws.

That doesn't mean, however, that you may legally carry it loaded and on your person. The federal law only provides for carry in which the firearm(s) is/are unloaded, and locked in a location inaccessible to the passenger, and separated from the ammunition. Here's the verbiage from the NRA site:

Quote:
Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
Old March 24, 2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
2) Stop at the border, unload and lock the gun away, then do the opposite when you cross into the destination state. Meanwhile, you're naked in some tough neighborhoods with the whole family in the car.

I'm not sure why you'd be in tough neighborhoods while your passing through a state for "an hour".

Regardless, follow the laws. You (We) are supposed to be a law-abiding citizen. That's why the permits are issued in the first place.
Old March 24, 2009, 05:49 PM   #5
David Armstrong

It's a no-brainer to me. 1 or 2 are both acceptable, 3 is definitely out.
Old March 24, 2009, 09:03 PM   #6
Webleymkv

I'd go with number two.
Old March 24, 2009, 09:55 PM   #7
4INCHSMITH

Go with option two, if it will only take you an hour to drive through the state the there is no need to stop. Fill the tank when you lock up the gun, take care of any calls of nature and hit the road.
Old March 26, 2009, 12:49 PM   #8
TINCUP AL

Number 2. Especially if you have no need to spend any time in that state. Drive on through until you get to your destination state and reholster. Good luck.
Old March 26, 2009, 01:41 PM   #9
Whiteboy67

Lock it up and have your wife hold the key for a quick access
Old March 27, 2009, 09:22 AM   #10
NavyLT

Quote:
The federal law only provides for carry in which the firearm(s) is/are unloaded, and locked in a location inaccessible to the passenger, and separated from the ammunition.
I am not sure why people keep posting the bolded part. FOPA (18 USC 926a) requires the gun to unloaded, and both the gun AND ammunition be seperated from the occupants of the vehicle, not separated from each other.

So, if you are going to use FOPA,
Gun unloaded in the trunk, ammo in the passenger compartment is ILLEGAL.

Gun unloaded in the trunk, with ammo in the trunk is the LEGAL way to do it, according to FOPA.

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
Quote:
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
Old March 30, 2009, 01:31 PM   #11
Bwana4

Unless one of the states is NJ in which case the handgun can not be transported under any circumstances unless a permit is obtained
Old March 30, 2009, 02:40 PM   #12
NavyLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana4
Unless one of the states is NJ in which case the handgun can not be transported under any circumstances unless a permit is obtained
B.S.

And I am not saying that your post is B.S., the New Jersey State Police is saying that your post is B.S.:
http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_trans.html

All firearms transported through the State of New Jersey:

The following guidelines are provided in order to assist law enforcement officers in applying New Jersey's firearms laws to persons who are transporting firearms through the State of New Jersey.

Quote:
1. New Jersey laws governing firearms permits, purchaser identification cards, registration and licenses do not apply to a person who is transporting the firearm through this State if that person is transporting the firearm in a manner permitted by federal law, 18 U.S.C.A. 926A.
Questions?
Old April 5, 2009, 10:10 AM   #13
Dewhitewolf

NJ only issues permits for handguns to be purchased; NJ does not have a "possession" permit or a "transport" permit. If you move to the state and bring handguns with you, you are not legally required to do anything.

Federal law allows you to transport through NJ, if it is unloaded and inaccessible to the passenger compartment.

Where do you get this information that handgun transport "under any circumstances" is not allowed without a permit?
Old April 5, 2009, 10:13 AM   #14
Dragon55

Wow....

TOOOOO much stuff to keep up with. I know a few truckers who regularly travel cross country and really doubt they go through all these gyrations.