The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 22, 2005, 06:13 PM   #1
jcm412

Model 1999 Montana Actions

Does anyone know anything about Model 1999 Montana Actions. I am going build a custom rifle and stumbled on Model 1999 Montana Actions and barrels. They are very well priced and i was wondering if they are any good or any one has one.

Jeremy

PS can anyone recommend any good smiths or custom gum makers
Old February 23, 2005, 10:17 AM   #2
Mike128

I have one in a 270 WSM. It's not a bad action and is a good base for a hunting rifle. Very similar to a M70 but with a few enhancements to set it apart. Main reasons I got mine was because of the longer magazine and better gas handling characteristics. I also prefer two screws holding a floorplate as compared to three for better accuracy.
The short actions are a little longer than a regular short action but not as long as a standard action. Perfect for the longer of the shorts, 6.5x55 swede, all short mags, 284 Win based, ect.
Some people complain about the finish but I find it no worse than factory and usually better. There are areas intentiallly left as cast.
If you want a full blown show piece look elsewhere. If you want a hunting rifle than the Montana is a good base. It has several features I wanted that factory rifles don't have. It all depends on what you want in an action.
Serengeti Rifles have Montana actions that they have polished and worked up. These go for around $800. Also, if you want a shortmag, than the CZ3 is the way to go. It is also a Montana action.