The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 8, 2013, 03:18 AM   #1
seansean1444

what caliber for coyotes if centerfire not allowed

hi I live in upstate New York and like to coyote hunt. my problem is during any deer season witch takes up allot of the coyote season your only allowed to use a rimfire or a shotgun loaded with shot only. I normally use my ruger American 308 but I want something I can legally use during deer season. I typically only coyote hunt at night and shots can be anywhere from 200 yards to 20. are there any other larger rimfire rounds besides the 17hmr and the 22wmr? they seem underpowered to me
Old October 8, 2013, 03:33 AM   #2
Wyosmith

I like the 22 WMR better than the 17s.
The extra bullet weight helps.
200 yards is about the maximum practical range, but I have killed some coyotes that far away with one.
When I got my 222 I sold my 22 WRM, but I did use the 22 WMR for several years and out to about 200, it was fine.
Old October 8, 2013, 03:42 AM   #3
seansean1444

what shot placement were you using? I was thinking head and neck only
Old October 8, 2013, 06:00 AM   #4
Kimber84

Maybe take a look at the new 17 WSM, not sure if it'd do it or not.

Pretty stupid rule in my opinion. We can use center fires whenever we want minus during any deer gun season, which is pretty short in relation to the overall deer season.
Old October 8, 2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Beretta686

Growing up on a ranch, I've shot coyotes with everything from a .22LR pistol to a MAC-10 sub-machine gun and they can be surprisingly hard to put down at times.

Though I've never taken a .22WRM hunting, it's the most powerful rimfire round I'm aware of, so I'd go with that.

A .22LR will do the trick, but it all comes down to shot placement. However at night that's especially difficult. Plus after about 50 meters or so, though it will still shoot accurately it's out of gas to score a reliably clean kill.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old October 8, 2013, 09:09 AM   #6
JERRYS.

.22mag

heavier bullet, and a little more power than .22lr.
Old October 8, 2013, 09:10 AM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber84 View Post
Maybe take a look at the new 17 WSM, not sure if it'd do it or not.
Absolutely the best choice. Almost purpose built for the job.
Old October 8, 2013, 09:28 AM   #8
Wyosmith

Seansean, I always just shot them in the chest or mid body with 40 grain hollow points.

Very little pelt damage which was important in those days.
In the best year I ever had the pelts averaged $90 each at the Winnemucca fur buyers, so I didn't want to damage them.

I was able to buy a 3 year old Toyota Land Cruiser with the money I earned in only 5 months with bobcat and coyote fur. That year I used mostly the 222 Remington for my "fur rifle" however, but I did kill about 30 of them with my 22 mag. It was a tubular magazine fed Marlin.

I sold the Marlin the next year because in those days I could load 222Rem cheaply. And the SAKO 222 has much better range and was about 3X as accurate.
Winchester 50 grain bullets cost $22.00 a thousand then, and primers were about $.98 a flat. H322 powder was $6.50 a pound. Those 50 grain Winchester bullets always went clear through but only left exit holes about 1" across. I could easily sew them shut.
The 22WMR often didn't leave an exit at all, and if it did the hole was only 1/2" across, but I could easily kill coyotes at 300 yards with the SAKO and that was out of range with the rimrife unless I got REAL lucky.

Cheep ammo and expensive hides.
Man............I miss those days.
Old October 8, 2013, 10:39 AM   #9
huntinaz

12 Ga with #4 buck. Limits your range obviously, but works great inside 40-50 yards.
Old October 8, 2013, 10:58 AM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Any 17 or 22 caliber mag will knock a yote into the dirt. But this new 17 Winchester Short Mag will do it quicker and with authority. Considering its not a new Remington development pleases me. This new 17 cal Winchester ammo probably will be around for years to come on store shelves. {Unlike the 5-MM many got burned on including this fellow} As for this consumer of fine weaponry. I intend to let this new 17 cal rifle and cartridge play out for awhile to see how others like it. If it's a success. {As I think it will be very shortly} I intend to buy myself one. 3000 ft per second from a rim fire. >Oh U- Bet-Cha !! As for that 5-mm?
I'll give it to the wife to hang a bird feeder on once I open that new box on the kitchen table with my new Winchester 17 Short Mag in it. Yesiree "that's my plan and I'm sticking to it !!" seansean1444 you should consider buying one of these rifles for that purpose of yote hunting._

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/06/1...-super-magnum/
Old October 8, 2013, 11:10 AM   #11
JD0x0

.17WSM seems like the best choice IMO.
Old October 8, 2013, 11:57 AM   #12
Ruger480

.17 BMag from Savage.

http://www.savagearms.com/bmag/bmag/

ammo is reportedly sold for around 17 dollars per 50.
Old October 8, 2013, 02:05 PM   #13
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Any 17 or 22 caliber mag will knock a yote into the dirt. But this new 17 Winchester Short Mag will do it quicker and with authority. Considering its not a new Remington development pleases me. This new 17 cal Winchester ammo probably will be around for years to come on store shelves. {Unlike the 5-MM many got burned on including this fellow} As for this consumer of fine weaponry. I intend to let this new 17 cal rifle and cartridge play out for awhile to see how others like it. If it's a success. {As I think it will be very shortly} I intend to buy myself one. 3000 ft per second from a rim fire. >Oh U- Bet-Cha !! As for that 5-mm?
I'll give it to the wife to hang a bird feeder on once I open that new box on the kitchen table with my new Winchester 17 Short Mag in it. Yesiree "that's my plan and I'm sticking to it !!" seansean1444 you should consider buying one of these rifles for that purpose of yote hunting._
I have a 5mm and love mine, especially after Aquilla brought out some ammo for them at reasonable prices.
Bought my rifle new in 1970 and I believe Remington quit making them in 1973.
I'm with Sure Shot, I'm not going to jump on the band wagon of anything new until it's been on the market for at least 10 years, so I most likely will not be buying the new Winchester 17.

That being said Missouri has the same laws for hunting small game or fur bearers during deer season, it has to be rimfire or shotgun and the shot size has to be on the small side unless you are water fowl hunting.

Missouri firearms deer seasons takes up a big portion of prime coyote hunting and it seems the seasons keep getting longer every year or they start another one.
As for now there's 6 different firearms deer seasons in Missouri the first one's in Oct and the last one is in Jan.
Of course coyote hunting does not bring in the revenue that the deer tags do and we all know the almighty dollar speaks loudly, it sure does as far as the MDC is concerned.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Last edited by Hunter Customs; October 9, 2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old October 8, 2013, 08:51 PM   #14
North East Redneck

Are muzzle loaders legal to use? If so, is pelt damage an issue to you? If yes and no, the old front stuffer can add a bit of fun to your hunt. .45 and .50 inlines are everywhere. Prices range from dirt cheap to very expensive. Just a thought.
Old October 9, 2013, 12:20 PM   #15
Paul B.

"Very little pelt damage which was important in those days.
In the best year I ever had the pelts averaged $90 each at the Winnemucca fur buyers, so I didn't want to damage them."

I got some very nice hides when I lived in Winnemucca. Best years was the winter of 1978/79. I was getting on average $100 a pelt for yotes and almost $400 for bobcats. I got a job transfer out of Winnemucca in August of 1979 down here to Tucson and the yotes down here are pretty scroungy looking at best. Have to be a bit careful because there are those mexican Gray Wolves they stocked down here. Can't shoot the darn things but they will come to a call. I'll probably start calling some in about another month if it cools off enough. Help get me in better shape for my elk hunt.
Paul B.
Old October 9, 2013, 01:11 PM   #16
adrians

22 magnum,, head shot will do it .
Old October 9, 2013, 02:15 PM   #17
Scout

17WSM
Old October 10, 2013, 05:27 AM   #18
born2climb

.22 magnum will do the job. I'm sure quite a few have been taken with .22 LR, but I personally don't consider it to be sufficient. I've killed two from the front porch with a .22 magnum, one a double-lung at 50 yards...she an about 100 yards before piling up. The other was standing right in front of my 100-yard target...I shot him frontal chest, and he dropped in his tracks. I prefer .223 hands down for coyote, but I keep a .22 magnum above the front door for those times I need it ASAP.
Old October 11, 2013, 09:39 AM   #19
TMW89

17wsm, 22 mag
The 17wsm is apparently the world's fastest rimfire at 3000 fps. That would smoke a coyote with a decently placed shot
1942 Mosin Nagant "Natalia"
Old October 11, 2013, 11:32 PM   #20
Kimbercommander

You cant go wrong with a .22 Mag in the 10/22 Mag platform. I have one and another converted to shoot .17 HMR. I have hunted with both and the .22 is by far superior to the .17. I shot a song dog with the .17 and lost it with no blood and very little fur right at the impact site. Killed the same dog a week later and found the remains of the .17 slug just under the skin. I have also seen the .17 blow up upon impact with rain drops. Its a very fun round but impractical for hunting anything over rabbits I believe. However I have taken a wide variaty of game with the .22 mag and have not lost a animal yet. Bobcats and coyotes both fall the same with the .22 as with my .22-250 out to around 300 yards. I use the Nikon with the spot on scope. This combo is pretty effective. Just make sure you use a rangefinder and get a "dope" card printed for the hold spots.